Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2008 at 10:46 PM
  • 6 Replies
What is considered "natural" birth?  Is it just that you didn't have an epidural or that you didn't rely on any pain meds? 

I am a mother of 2 great kids...10 year old girl and 14 month old boy.  I did not have an epidural with either one (which I am very proud of!).  I am pregnant now and due in May with another boy.  I am considering not having any pain medication at all because during my labor and after the birth of my son I felt very "out of it" since they gave me statal (sp?).  I want to "be there" all the way with this one!  Is there anyone out there who has done it both ways who could share their feelings on it and maybe compare the pain for me?
by on Feb. 27, 2008 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MarigoldsMama
by on Feb. 27, 2008 at 11:17 PM
I've heard lots of different births referred to as "natural."

On one end, I've heard people who consider any vaginal birth to be natural -- and then there are those who see a totally intervention free home birth as the only real natural birth.
For me, a natural birth is a birth without medication. No drugs for inducement, for pain management etc. but that's just my opinion.

I've only had one birth experience so far -- I used Hypnobirthing and didn't have any drugs at all. My labor was long (End of 42 weeks, 15 hours of labor at home, 9 more hours in the hospital, sunny-side-up, 9+ pounder!) but honestly, it wasn't bad. I was relaxed and calm the whole time.

I can't do a comparison for you, but I'm going to do Hypnobirthing again with this next baby, due in April.
MamaJen74
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 8:27 AM
I have to echo Marigoldsmomma's definition of natural.  That's my feeling too.

I had stadol with my 1st and 3rd and nothing with my fourth.  In my experience, stadol didn't really take away the pain, it just made me not really care about the pain.  After having my 4th, I realized that I could have done without the stadol before.  You can totally do this Momma!

Please excuse my shorthand.  I haven't quite gotten the hang of typing with a baby in my arms...NAK!

Group Owner~Rollergirls    Group Admin~Proud Public Breastfeeder 

Moms_At_Home
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 8:33 AM

Thanks!  What is hypnobirthing?

Moms_At_Home
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 8:34 AM
I thought that might be the case....thanks for the encouragement!
NutsAboutGabe
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 8:43 AM
I thought natural child birth was simply a vaginal birth without drugs of any kind no matter where the birth takes place.

I also don't have any comparison's for you. I only have one child and my birth was drug free in a hospital. I went to the hospital around 4pm and had my child at 815pm. To me there was no question about drugs...I didn't want them. If you go in with the thought of "I can do this no matter what happens-- I can do it", you'll get through it without anything.

Almy1014
by on Feb. 29, 2008 at 11:23 AM
every birth experience is different!!  That is essential to remember.  That being said, I have had one medicated birth and one natural, and I intend for any future births to be natural!!  It was amazing to have a baby naturally.  I was definitely "there" for the entire experience.  It gives a woman an amazing sense of accomplishment and power, and a great start to a strong connection with her baby.  I had an epidural with my first and at the time was grateful for the relief it offered.  However, I believe it was the reason my pushing stage took so lon (you are unable to feel what your body is telling you to do) and led to my episiotomy.  After that experience I have read everything I can get my hand on about childbirth, and discovered that for me, natural childbirth just makes sense!!  Unless there is a clear reason to proceed otherwise, a womans body knows how to have a baby, and shouldn't be interfered with.  My second birth experience was amazing - no pain relief other than walking, massage, relaxation, and water.  Was it painful?  Yes.  Did I manage?  Yes.  And so can most women under normal circumstances.  best of luck to you!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)