Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

What do you think about siblings being present for the birth?

Posted by   + Show Post
I never thought I'd consider this, but I have heard both good and bad about siblings being there for birth.  Has anyone had a sibling watch?  Wouldnt that scare them? 

Artistry is number 5 in the world!! A Prestige brand of all natural skin care and cosmetics.
Nutrilite is number 1 in the world for vitamins and supplements. 

We are number one online in health and beauty and we were the original green company... one of two to ever recieve an environmental award from the UN.  Not just some rinky-dink work from home operation... check it out for yourself. 

Madrigal.mychoices.biz

by on Mar. 28, 2008 at 2:18 AM
Replies (21-24):
iamadoula
by on Jun. 27, 2008 at 3:06 PM
I do think a lot has to do with the age, maturity, and preparation of the child.  When I delivered my daughter two years ago there was no question that my sons were welcome if they wanted to be.  My oldest was 10 and youngest 5.5.  Being a doula they have seen pictures and videos of births as well as a lot of baby story and what not on the tv.  They did great and to this day are very grateful for being there.  It was one of the best experiences for me and quite honestly the best day of my life.  I gave birth in my home in a birth tub, to candlelight, my boys by my side saying the sweetest things, my husband delivered (we had a doula photographing and midwife supervising) it was perfect and our family was complete.  I have witnesses other siblings varied ages be present for the deliveries and for the most part the younger ones did best when they came in as mom was pushing the baby out.

visit my website at www.tonyagervacio.com

Angee3Monkeys
by on Jun. 30, 2008 at 6:50 AM

My daughter will be 9 in Oct. And I asked Her that last 2 times and She said NO. She did not want to see me in pain. And She would just wait in the waiting room. I have invited Her to this next one. And She surprisingly said Yes. But, we will see if She does. =0)

amber1216
by on Jul. 1, 2008 at 11:33 AM
No, my almost 3 year old won't be present for the birth of my next child. I think it would scare him.
Cynthje
by on Jul. 1, 2008 at 11:40 AM
I like the idea. If the child and parent are comfortable with it i don't see why not.
There is a big difference between a hospital birth and a peaceful home (or birthing centre) birth.
The hospital atmosphere itself might scare some kids so i don't think i would be comfortable bringing  a child in to see that.

Tre ating nor mal labors as though they were complicated can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

There is no scientific evidence that doing over 10 percent of births with a cesarean improves the outcome for the woman or improves the outcome for the baby.

Dr. Marsden Wagner

The knowledge of how to give birth without outside interventions lies deep within each woman. Successful childbirth depends on an acceptance of the process.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN