Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Found perfect solution for my toddler during my homebirth! Yay!

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2008 at 2:54 PM
  • 5 Replies
My little guy is really sensitive. He will be 27 months old when his new sibling is due. He's been my main worry from the start.
Initially I thought of hiring a Doula with the understanding she may end up babysitting DS during the birth but it takes DS so long to warm up to people and we'd only see the doula a couple of times beforehand.
Then my LLL Leader mentioned that she'd used a Mother's Helper before.
That sounded perfect. I am actually thinking of it more as a 'Big Sister' than a 'Mother's Helper' since there wouldn't really be any chores involved.
I had somebody post an ad for me on the local homeschooling group and I already have a teenage girl interested in the job.
We are planning to meet here in the next couple of weeks but she sounds really promising oldest of 5, was raised AP herself, homeschooled so no worries about missing school on 'Birth Day'.
I am thinking of having her come once a week to play with DS for about 10 weeks before the birth so he really, really gets to know her and have fun with her and can develop a good relationship. And then she will be there for him during the birth, be able to take him out to play, etc.
I am so excited. I think this solution will be perfect for us!

by on Apr. 9, 2008 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jimnregina
by on Apr. 10, 2008 at 10:49 AM
I think this solution will work great.  I have bee having the same worry.  My firend had her children present (in room)  when she birthed but they were 7, 9, and 12.  My children are 8, 4, 3, 2, and 1 so that is not a feasible option.
EuroMomTX
by on Apr. 10, 2008 at 3:55 PM
I hope you can find someone similar. Knowing we got this part covered makes me feel so much better!

doulala
by on Apr. 22, 2008 at 4:50 PM
That will be great! I have been a Doula-Big Brother/Sister Wrangler many times. The youngest sibling present was just 12 months. Many times midwives bring their own children, too. These children are told & shown that birth is a normal human process and has been a family/community affair for generations. Having options is important, but having a prepared child present isn't necessarily so bad. For my own 2nd birth, I had my 31 month-old DD there and in the birth tub with me for the delivery, too. It was GREAT!! :-D PS~ You might want to share some birth videos with the Mother's Helper in the event that she could be present for the experience.
EuroMomTX
by on Apr. 22, 2008 at 4:58 PM
Thanks. :) I am excited. I think I am going to love my second birth even more than my first.

doulala
by on Apr. 22, 2008 at 10:31 PM
I know I sure did. It was nice to be able to savor the huge moment at hand having the fear out of the way. My first birth was scary and I was unnecessarily freaked out. Processing that for a couple of years helped to make Round Two a blast, actually! LOL! I am excited for you!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN