Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Doula's??? piog

Posted by on May. 11, 2008 at 10:29 PM
  • 6 Replies
Has anyone had a Doula while laboring? I am thinking about getting one cuz i want to try to go natural this time and i know my family wont be able to give me the support i need just cuz they wont know what to do. If you had a Doula how did you go about find her, did your insurance pay for one or did you pay out of pocket? Is there anything else i need to know about doula's??
by on May. 11, 2008 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
IntoDesignMama
by on May. 12, 2008 at 12:46 AM
check out www.dona.org for starters.  I had a doula with me for my last labor and delivery, and she was absolutely wonderful!!  Now, I love my husband to pieces, but if i'd had to choose either doula or hubby present for labor....hind sight being 20/20, I would pick the doula, lol (but i'm serious!!).  But I was able to have both (and a whole schlew of other folks, but that's a different story!! lol)  and one of the best things about having th edoula present was that she was able to guide my hubby to do things that were helpful and comforting, rather than him just sitting there dazed and confused!

My insurance didn't cover it, which I think is pretty standard, and I don't even recall for certain what the fee was (a few hundred dollars?) but my doula was worth her weight in gold!!!

Good luck!!!  A doula is a wonderful, wonderful woman!!!!!

This Mama is still for Obama!

rockymatier
by on May. 12, 2008 at 5:25 PM
we have hired a doula for my upcoming homebirth. In our areas they charge 700-1200$. I will let u know what I think in a couple of weeks.
aimster08
by on May. 14, 2008 at 9:49 PM
We had a doula for our first born. My husband and I were young and I knew my mom and dad would be in the delivery room with me and I wanted someone that would take charge that wasn't my mom telling my husband what to do. She was wonderful. Both of us felt a lot more comfortable and my mom enjoyed not being in charge of it all. (she didn't want to "boss" my husband around either).

She did our labor for free as part of the birthing class. We sent her a gift later on. She was wonderful and I would so suggest having someone there.

doulala
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2008 at 11:16 PM
I'm a doula and have several Journal Posts on my page if anyone wants info. Please feel free to ask away, too! I want to mention that the doula is really in your corner. She comes and meets with you at your home prenatally- finding out your birthing preferences & offering information. She is with you at home in early labor, and she goes with you (if you leave) to continue support for you AND your DH, helping you to work together. She stays throughout the birth, helping to fulfil your birthing wishes (keeping exrtaneous personnel out of the room, helping you cope with pain, getting you & DH snacks, etc.). And she comes over at home when you get home, helping the transition into becoming a family. She knows some tricks for breastfeeding, how to calm baby, and ways to make recovery easier. Plus SOOOOO much more!! I have done this mostly for free, myself. So do many in-training doulas! WOW, why not have one?!? ;-)
Neesie_in_AK
by on May. 15, 2008 at 2:57 PM
I am a doula in training right now... Having a doula at your birht is a very wonderful thing. She is very helpful, knowledgable and is really worth her wieght in gold. some questions you may want to ask your prospective doula are...
How long has she been a doula?
How many births has she been to?
How does she dea with the ,thankfully, rare complications?
what does she charge.
Is she certified in CPR both adult and child/infant?
Is she familiar with the policies/procedures/staff ath the partidcular hospital or birthing center you will be birthing at?
Does she do postpartum work too? (believe me... a postpartum doula is a life saver... especially if your significant other has to return to work sooner rather than later.)
Also trust your gut instincts... If something  inside you says we are not compatible with this doula... get another. having people at your birth that you are comfortable with is essential!
If your gut says SHE'S THE ONE TO HELP US! then by all means.. hire her on the spot.
A lot of doulas will take payments, and many will barter for partial payment and also work with you as far as the cost goes.
In my area (Alaska) you would pay anywhere from 200 to 600. Hope this helps!
Love and Light,
Denise
http://lilypie.com"> src="http://bf.lilypie.com/FMYBm8.png" alt="Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker" border="0" >
muensters_ma
by on May. 16, 2008 at 3:35 PM
i had a doula and she was wonderful! i found her through an online doula website. we had to pay out of pocket but it was only $500. my doula did provide me with a letter for my insurance cause she said my insurance company sometimes will cover it if you keep at them. so were waiting to hear from them yet. but she is wonderful and i had a natural birth only because she was there. as helpful as my boyfriend was he only can do so much. good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)