Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Birthing ball?

Posted by on May. 16, 2008 at 10:32 AM
  • 8 Replies

Ok I have a "birthing ball" or Yoga ball what ever you want to call it. I have been doing my pelvic exrecises on it. But what am I supposes to do on it when i'm in labor? am I suppose to do the whole winding pelvic thing when i'm having contractions or am I just suppose to sit on it?

Pregnant blinkie

by on May. 16, 2008 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
IntoDesignMama
by on May. 16, 2008 at 11:07 AM
from my experience (I loved my birthing ball!!) you will know what to do.  I sat on it, rocking side to side, and going in little circles.  I didn't really think about it, I just did it.  Guess you could say the natural instincts kicked in.  There were also times when someone would put it on the bed for me, and I leaned over on it with my upper body and head, to rest my upper body while I stood swaying side to side and squatted too.  Good luck!!

Obama ALL the Way, Baby!

RugersMommy06
by on May. 16, 2008 at 11:11 AM
I think you're supposed to rock and just move with the ball-part relaxation, part moving the baby down. I didn't get a chance to use mine.
kt2babies
by on May. 16, 2008 at 11:29 AM
Yeah I do this now as part of my prenatal work out. And when I have contractions, it does seem to make them not feel as painful. If I remember right I think my doula said something about the way your pelvis is when your on the ball verses being in a chair
Quoting IntoDesignMama:

from my experience (I loved my birthing ball!!) you will know what to do.  I sat on it, rocking side to side, and going in little circles.  I didn't really think about it, I just did it.  Guess you could say the natural instincts kicked in.  There were also times when someone would put it on the bed for me, and I leaned over on it with my upper body and head, to rest my upper body while I stood swaying side to side and squatted too.  Good luck!!

Pregnant blinkie

muensters_ma
by on May. 16, 2008 at 3:31 PM
your body will know exactly what to do. for me i just rocked back and forth sometimes and in circles other times whatever felt right at the moment. it helped tremendousely!
Neesie_in_AK
by on May. 16, 2008 at 6:45 PM
yes, yes,and yes. You can use it for all of those, and ater your birth to help get those abs back  to normal too. Just sitting on it will strengthen and tone your core muscles and it is a lifesaver to have with colicky babies.
But yeah... i used my for back support while squatting, I used it to stretch out my back during contractions, for sitting, for rocking/swaying. All of it... I loved my birthball!!!
Hope that helps,
Love and Light,
Denise
doulala
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2008 at 3:22 AM
In labor, it feels great to wiggle and rock. Sitting gives you a break from being up on your feet for hours. But it's also a great tool to be supported in a squat-like position which opens the pelvic-outlet (yah!) quite a lot.

Doulas mother the mother.

Every woman who wants a doula should have one!

If you don't know your options you don't have any.

caldangel
by on Jun. 6, 2008 at 9:29 PM
Just go with your body.  For me, I hated the birthing ball...just something didn't feel right...so if you feel the same way, don't think that you have to keep doing it.  There are other things you can do, as well.

Founder of naturalmomsgroup.com

The place where "natural" moms can meet, exchange information and make new friends.

Tiffatoe
by on Jun. 6, 2008 at 9:30 PM
Seriously, I just sat on mine and bounced, it was some of the best relief for my labor pains, next to the birthing tub.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)