Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Mama's who have given birth medication free-plezz respond!

Posted by   + Show Post
Hey everyone! This group caught my eye ,as I am pregnant with my 3rd baby. My oldest is 17 months and my youngest is 5 months. I had to have iv medication with my 1st and an epidural with my 2nd. I really, reallly, really, want to make it through this one naturally. My heart is extreamly set on this in the worst way. Any advice on how I should go about this? I really want to do this for my baby...those medications are truely harsh on tiny babies. plezz respond it would be greatly appreciated! Thankyou!!!!!!
by on Jun. 15, 2008 at 7:48 PM
Replies (11-20):
auspicious
by on Jun. 16, 2008 at 5:34 PM

Quoting lilmama_24:

i think i may have to look into a birthing center instead. my only fear is something going wrong and already being in the hospital they are already equipted to handle an emergency. it's a big choice but i really want this like i said before. it really means alot to me to do this natural.
Most midwives will let you interview them for free.  You could spend a few days thinking about what emergencies you're worried about, then ask a midwife or two how they'd handle them.  That was something my husband and I did together, and it was a big help!  Most midwives are equipped to handle most situations, and are able to identify an impending emergency before it actually becomes an emergency.

doulala
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2008 at 3:55 AM
To answer your question, the best way to go about this is to find the right caregiver. Interviewing and getting their statistics will be important.

Quoting lilmama_24:
my only fear is something going wrong and already being in the hospital they are already equipted to handle an emergency.
Keep in mind that midwives are trained to handle the usual complications that might arise. They are also better known for better monitoring throughout pregnancy & labor, reducing potential problems through detailed care or seeing if something is out of the normal scope. In a hospital they can perform surgeries, but they also practice interventions that lead to the use of more interventions and surgical birth.

Statistically, midwives have a much higher rate of success with healthy mom & babies and more satisfied outcomes! The kind of care they give reduces the need for cesareans.

I had my babies in a birth center. It was absolutely perfect!
  • We have a secret in our culture, and it's not that birth is painful. It's that women are strong.                                                                      ~Harm
  • Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.                                                                       ~Einstein
  • To know the way ahead, ask those coming back.  ~Chinese proverb

VeggieMomma61
by on Jun. 17, 2008 at 8:51 PM
We complete Bradley Method classes too.  I felt SO confident after those 12 weeks.  I had the full support of my husband, plus our instructor and other couples in our class.  It was a great support group.  The "text" book was super helpful, too. 

All that said, I agree with others who've said it is all about your mind set (and yoga).  My pre-natal yoga was wonderful-teaching me to be in the moment, for the moment.  How to breath naturally and let go of tension, to relax completely.  I trained my mind and my body for months.

I was in active labor for a little over 12 hours.  I pushed for about 35 minutes.  Even though it felt like the longest day ever, I knew it wouldn't/couldn't last forever.   That eventually my body would be ready and our baby would come. 

I took one contraction at a time.  I practiced my relaxation thoughts...floating in clouds, laying on the beach with the warm sun melting me into the sand, warm water flowing over me...all of these each time a contaction came.  Eventually, I made it through the labor, transitioned, and felt the need to push.

I had a very detailed birthing plan and had the support of my OBGYN.  Our birthing nurse also knew of our request for a natural birth and fully supported our birth plan.  Ultimately, I wanted a natural birth, not for me, but for my baby.  I would stand any amount of pain knowing I was doing the very best I could for my baby.

All of these things in place allowed me to follow through with the best birthing experience I could.  I wish you the best of luck.  You CAN do it, if you're sure it's what you want.  The pain will NOT last forever (even though it might seem like it) and when it's over, you won't even care because you'll have your perfect little one in your arms.

lilmama_24
by on Jun. 27, 2008 at 3:13 AM
right on! thanks for the support girls!
Angee3Monkeys
by on Jun. 30, 2008 at 6:54 AM
For me I just assumed it had to do with my pain tolerance... Only because all Woman have different pain tolerances in child birth. I did the self Motivation deal. And it worked for me. And I did not take any fancy classes never had time too. Always working.. And if you get to have that opportunity to take them classes you should.. it might be a advantage... Its all in the mind.
LadyJennifer
by on Jun. 30, 2008 at 7:05 PM
I had my dd at home with a midwife, so even if I wanted an epidural I wouldn't be able to have one, lol. Also it cuts down drastically on unnecessary intervention.

lobstergrrl
by on Jul. 5, 2008 at 8:05 AM
You already have two babies, so you know what thepost partum period is like. That time for me was so much more important than the fleeting hours of the pain of birth.

I would much rather feel GOOD taking care of my infant. I did not want the drug hangover or the potential complications. I wanted to know that I could enjoy every second of the babies first few hours and days.

I had my ten lbr with no drugs and felt like a million bucks afterwards.
That was enough incentive for me.
danagirl29
by on Jul. 10, 2008 at 10:39 AM
As with anything in life it is a choice and only your choice!!  You  have to want it and be determined that no matter what, you will not take meds.  One thing about birth is that it does end.  The pain will not last forever.  Now, it may take some time but it does end and that should help.  I will not say that my last birth was painless, by no means, but I was absolutely determined to use no meds or even go to the hospital.  While some people are against homebirth and UC, that was my only option and a decision I made for myself.   My son was 13 pounds and 2 ounces and I can honestly say that it felt no different than having my oldest son (two epidurals that did not work) who was only 8-13.  For me, size of the baby didn't matter.. it was my mind that mattered the most.  My body followed what my mind thought so keep your mind clear of any form of negativity or fear.  It will stunt your progress. It is totally possible if you want it to be regardless of what anyone else says or thinks!! 
gr8fulmother
by on Jul. 10, 2008 at 2:23 PM
if you want to have a natural birth  - you probably will have to avoid the hospital - try to stay at home with your midwife and doula as lond as possible  - if you don't already have a doula and midwife - GET ONE FAST 

hospitals birth one way and its hard once your there  - birth plan or not to take control of the situation especially when your in labor and the nurses keep offering pain meds i can imagine it would be awfully difficult to resist

besides that read as many books on naturally birth as you can find - the bradley methed is a great one

PS - your body was made to give birth believe it
Tinkerbell-d
by on Jul. 13, 2008 at 2:11 AM
       I have four kids, the last three were all born in the span of 30 months.  The first of the three, had some hart decelerations that made the doctor a little nervous, so I was given an epidural, which wasn't needed. Thirteen months later I was only in the hospital seven minutes before delivery, so there was no time for drugs. So seventeen months later, (five months ago) the doctor, who was the same for all three of these deliveries, knew I didn't need anything, even though this one had some hart decelerations as well. So for me, it took some time, but having a doctor that knew ME and what I was able to do. It also helped that the doctor believed that delivery is suppose to be painful.......lol. I would have loved to have them at a birthing center instead of a hospital, but there is not one available to me in the area I live.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)