Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

no other way to say this

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2008 at 10:04 PM
  • 4 Replies
Alot of women have been asking lately how to get through drug free labor and delivery and in no way am I trying to be harsh or offensive when I say this but..... just do it!!! I know that when I had my son, this was something I REALLY wanted to do and I just stuck through it. I am a a huge wuss when it comes to pain, but I was SO mind set that this was what I wanted to do. Of course it was painful, but the feeling you get when it's all done is totally worth it all. You just have to focus on your desire to not take drugs, focus on not harming yourself and your baby, I'm not saying that the drugs actually harm but it's a good thing to think about. Realize that our bodies were made to go through this process and  it's only a short period of time (when you look back on it) Relaxing is the biggest tip I can offer, mind over matter....Don't focus all your energy on pain. I am scared of needles and that was a good reason for me not to want drugs. Anyway this is just my opinion and my insight on the topic and hopefully it helps someone.
by on Jul. 8, 2008 at 10:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
doulala
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2008 at 10:21 PM
You are right. When women go into labor "on the fence" about their decision OR not having a plan to get through, they often cave. :-(

Childbirth has not always been considered scary or feared... it's been thought as a normal part of life. Unfortunately, as science has developed technologies (always initially intended for extreme situations/complications that gradually get worked into the healthy pregnancies), the more worries pushed into the hearts & heads of parent-to-be.

Keeping focus on the miraculous and COMMON fact that our bodies conceive (WOW, crazy!), grow the fetus (woah...), and deliver the baby (amazing!), it is what we are made to do. Many women lose sight toward the end: they can have faith in conception & fetus growing, but for some reason-- suddenly they think their bodies are "broken" and unable to finish the job. :-(

No, we are not broken. I read about birth and am constantly learning & releaning that the technologies hurt more than help the healthy pregnancies. When women learn this for themselves they know they need to do better. For the sake of their unborn babies, they need to find a better way! :-)

Having a lifetime of fears instilled in our hearts, we must spend a lot of time preparing to do it naturally... this is a modern hurdle. We are not broken and we can do this!!

Yes, we do need to just do it. But we can't just "wing it," we usually need to plan ahead to succeed. The "wait until I'm in labor to decide" concept is a harder battle to conquer; we need to bring our ammunition to our births.

:-D
  • We have a secret in our culture, and it's not that birth is painful. It's that women are strong.                                                                      ~Harm
  • Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.                                                                       ~Einstein
  • To know the way ahead, ask those coming back.  ~Chinese proverb

RugersMommy06
by on Jul. 8, 2008 at 11:00 PM
I agree with the post and the 1st response. I had made up my mind-through my own research and from my husband's Marine Corps motto of "suck it up!"  There was no way I was risking raising my baby paralzyed or spending the first days of his life miserable with a headache or infection. The pain doesn't last forever and the natural high after delivery is amazing. Research,plan and follow through!
amber1216
by on Jul. 11, 2008 at 1:02 PM
yes I agree with your responses as well, planning is key!
MamaJane
by on Jul. 12, 2008 at 6:28 PM
I just wrote another response saying the same thing LOL.  You can't go in saying "We'll try it out".  If you want to do it then say you are going to do it.  Same goes with breastfeeding. 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)