Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

ADVICE?!

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2007 at 10:48 PM
  • 5 Replies
Hi I am due on the 26th of July with a second son.  I went the epideral, etc route with my first son and it was aweful...I am giving birth as a VBAC candidate at my local hospital and I really want to avoid drugs, etc. this time.  Any advice for a successful natural birth I would love to hear!!
by on Jul. 17, 2007 at 10:48 PM
Replies (1-5):
Truus18
by on Jul. 17, 2007 at 11:16 PM
Hello Jenny and welcome!
There are a bunch of useful aides out there and thankfully they are at our finger tips. Here are a few you could look into. First there is something called the "Bradley method". I bought a book on the Bradley method before my 1st was born and when I had gone into labor I had also incorporated some things that just came to me instinctually. One of those things was pacing. I was on my feet pacing back and forth in this sort of bouncy dance during a contraction and I believe it helped the baby to travel to where it should. Don't let those hospital people make you stay in bed(unless they're checking dialation or you're pushing) I kept saying to myself in between contractions, "Relax it's just a muscle". Refering, of course, to my uterus :-)
You could also check into "Hypno birthing" which focuses on putting yourself into an almost hypnotic state. Some women like bouncing on a birthing ball during a contraction. See if one can be provided for you.
Also one of the best ways to become prepared is to try to be in good shape....although while I was pregnant with my second I craved junk food ....and gave into that craving :-0
What's easier also is since you already gave birth you have an idea of what's going to happen. With my second,I was happy I now had some sort of time line. While I was in labor with my first I thought, "How much longer can I work this hard!"

When they say the second happens fast they weren't joking! With my second, I went into labor at 4 am, got to the birthing center at 7 am and my boy was born at 10:20 am !
Good luck with your research and we'll chat again soon!
Cheryl
jennyboston24
by on Jul. 17, 2007 at 11:55 PM
Thanks for the reply.  I am familiar with both methods, actually both Bradly and the Hypno Birthing method as well as Lamaze are all spun from the same last turn of the century research/observations from that London OB.  I do have a midwife who is a certified Hypno Birthing instructor....I will let you know how it goes....

Thanks, Jenny
mommybriana
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 4:04 AM
Jenny,
I just had my son in April.  I decided to have him at home and in the water.  You might look into seeing if the hospital you are having your baby at has a tub or something for you to sit in.  The water really helps with the contractions and the relax you. 
Truus18
by on Jul. 19, 2007 at 12:26 AM
Squats are another good way to prepare....do loads of squats(and Kegels).
:-)
charmichan
by on Aug. 3, 2007 at 12:59 PM
Replying a bit late...

I had a waterbirth in March without any drugs of any kind. It was very, very difficult. I think it's important to know that you will come to a point in your labor where you think you can't continue. You will reach the end of your rope. And people in the hospital may try to "help" by offering you drugs. You will be very tempted! But, know that you CAN continue. Just keep taking it one contraction at a time. I used a lot of vocalization to get through this tough time. But then the pushing stage came and it was such a rush! I really enjoyed it (as strange as that sounds). And now I know that I don't have a limit. I've pushed through past where I thought I couldn't take it any more, and on the other side is a strong and confidant mother. I know now that I can take anything my little one will throw at me. I know now that I can be a mother.

Good luck!

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN