Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Why did you give birth without pain medication?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2008 at 11:09 PM
  • 26 Replies

I'm just curious why you decided to go sans pain relief.

My reasons are many.  First, I wanted the experience.  Second, it's better for the baby.  Third, I didn't want a needle in my back.  Fourth, I didn't want to sit up and have to get poked in the middle of transition.  Fifth, the more interventions you consent to the more you will have (domino effect) and I REALLY didn't want a c-section.

How abou tyou?

by on Oct. 8, 2008 at 11:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaJen74
by on Oct. 8, 2008 at 11:24 PM

I haven't always birthed naturally nor did I plan to until my last baby.  With my 1st, I had a dose of stadol after 24 hours of labor.  When I had my 2nd, my best friend reassured me that an epi was THE way to go...she was totally wrong.  It hurt my back, sucked sitting still, goodness knows the effects on the baby AND it took effect after I delivered (they shouldn't have administered it but no one checked my cervix beforehand.  Who knew I'd go from 3 to complete in 45 minutes?  Damn the evil pitocin.)  With my 3rd, I only knew that I would not be getting an epi.  I had a dose of stadol with her too.

Then, while preggers with #4, I found Cafemom...and wonderful groups with lots of links and knowledge.  I never knew the risks I was taking before.  No one ever explained to me the snowball effect of labor drugs or that the drugs passed to the baby.  I blindly thought everyone else was looking out for me and my babies' BEST interest.  I know now that that is MY job.  I wanted my last birth to be natural because 1) no drugs passing to baby 2)avoiding the intervention snowball 3) because I am a WOMAN and my body is designed to birth babies.

“You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Friedrich Nietzsche

Photobucket     

Group Owner~Rollergirls                    

Group Admin~Proud Public Breastfeeder

~NEW or SOON-TO-BE Breastfeeders 

EuroMomTX
by on Oct. 8, 2008 at 11:58 PM

better for baby - that's good enough reason for me

YES! We also still carry batik wetbags for cloth diapers and supersoft hemp wipes!

Cynthje
by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 8:52 AM

Because its better for the baby and the mother!

KaRaBaSsEtT
by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 1:28 PM

First I have always been afraid of needles, I ABSOLUTELY didnt want one in my spine!! That scares me more than the pain ( even though i am a big baby)  I had a great midwife and she was there for the whole labor trying to keep me calm.  Lastly after the baby is born the pain is instantly gone and you can immediately start healing.  Not to forget the sense of power and accomplishment you feel after, nothing beats that feeling!!!

Lydiah769
by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Better for my baby. And I did not want a needle going into my back. Plus for the full experience :)

PhilsBabyMama
by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 4:59 PM

I birthed naturally because it was safer for my son and I.  I didn't want to give birth in a hospital either, and most midwives won't offer drugs. :)

Come join my group! Natural Birthing Mamas of Maryland! http://www.cafemom.com/group/naturalmdmamas 

muensters_ma
by on Oct. 10, 2008 at 1:44 AM

with my first i didn't birth naturally. i didn't schedule an epidural but when the time came i decided to get one because i was young and scared, and that led to them breaking my water but everything else went fine. they wanted to do an episiotomy but i put my foot down on that and they let me tear. i only needed 3 stitches. i can't imagine how many more i would've needed had i had an episiotomy.

my mother is the reason i had my second naturally. my mother was an anti-drug, all-natural kinda woman. i think she was dissapointed in me with my first that i didn't try to go all naturally. but i was a young scared first time mom. my mom passed away unexpectedly when my son was 2 weeks old. i was devastated and dissapointed in myself for dissapointing her.

so fast forward about 2 years i was pregnant with my daughter. i was bound and determined i was going to give birth naturally this time around for my mother. i knew if she was here she would've been so proud of me. i hired a doula to ensure i would have adequate support because my SO didn't understand. although he was proud of me afterwards and still brags to everyone how i did it with no pain killers :)

but my reason was my mother, i hope she was watching down of us that day and that i was making her proud :)

mountainlaurel
by on Nov. 23, 2008 at 10:43 PM

I wanted to experience everything.  I'm not one to numb out my life...I want to live it.  The experience of feeling my body do this amazing job that it was designed to do was the most incredible thing.  It was truly empowering, and I had read about other moms doing this and knew I wanted to begin my mothering experience like that.

lobstergrrl
by on Nov. 26, 2008 at 9:23 AM

I had my first baby with interventions..pitocin, epidural, etc. My recovery sucked in all ways, and it was 100% harder to BF.

My second baby was born so fast, there was no time for intervention. I felt so GOOD after he was born that when it came time for the third it was a no brainer. I wanted to feel all the blissed out natural mommy hormones working in me and not a bunch of chemicals. I was much better able to care for my newborn and myself ater my natural CB.

I waited until the very last minute to go to the hospital with my third and they respected my request that they not OFFER any medication. I think this is key when working out a birth plan.

doulala
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Quoting Ati_13:

My reasons are many. First, I wanted the experience.  DITTO!!   :-D

Second, it's better for the baby.  DITTO!!   :-D

Third, I didn't want a needle in my back.   DITTO!!   :-D

Fourth, I didn't want to sit up and have to get poked in the middle of transition.  

Fifth, the more interventions you consent to the more you will have (domino effect) and I REALLY didn't want a c-section.   DITTO!!   :-D

I stayed away from a hospital & OB altogether, aware of their high intervention rates.   Knowing that I would do all I could to make the safest choices for my baby, I chose a midwife who doesn't work in a hospital.   :-)

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)