Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Is this a problem?

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2009 at 10:04 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am 31w4d pregnant and for the last two or three months I have been measuring 3 weeks bigger than I am. My Ob says not to worry if Im still measuring big around 34-37wks she will order an ultrasound. My question is why would I be measuring big? Is that really a problem or a complication? What would the point of another ultrasound be? What difference does it make what the ultrasound says? My five month ultrasound came back fine and the baby has been great. Any info would be great. Thanks

Also with my last pregnancy they thought my daughter was going to be large also I had her at 37wks and she was only 7lbs I know that she was early and they estimated if i had had her full term she would have only been 8-81/2lbs.

by on Jan. 12, 2009 at 10:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EuroMomTX
by on Jan. 12, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Nah. I always measure big (okay I also had good size babies) but there was nothing wrong with them.

I wish I got a dollar for everytime an OB says a baby will be too big and it turns out to be not big at all!

Come check out this great group: AP Moms of TODDLERS

We would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to all of our customers this year on our BLOG                              

doulala
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Moms can measure ahead because of:   different people measuring, babies position, extra water, a growth spurt, inaccurate EDD based on wrong conception/period dates...   whatever.   Because the average is still a four week period and many moms deliver OUTside of this average, a due date means very little, really.  

Examining babies health and yours is important, of course.  Asking what the course of action might be for any result may be worth the asking.   I know what I would do (nothing), but each mom evaluates her own situation and comfort level through every scenario.

The medical model of care is more "fear-based" than "evidence-based" sometimes.   IF you are not interested in inducing and/or a cesarean, then keeping interventions away unless genuinely medically indicated might be a good idea.   If you go with this scan, and you can say no, you will get a guesstimate.   Your OB can order X or Y from that guess, worrying you as he tries to cover his bum.

If you'd prefer nature to run her course, I would suggest declining this offer to have an U/S. 

The knowledge of how to give birth without outside intervention lies deep within each woman. Successful childbirth depends on an acceptance of the process. ~Suzanne Arms

Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” - Jeannine Parvati Baker

doulala
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2009 at 10:25 PM

o.m.g.   NO DOUBT.                ;-P

Quoting EuroMomTX:

I wish I got a dollar for everytime an OB says a baby will be too big and it turns out to be not big at all!

The knowledge of how to give birth without outside intervention lies deep within each woman. Successful childbirth depends on an acceptance of the process. ~Suzanne Arms

Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” - Jeannine Parvati Baker

Amanda_20
by on Jan. 12, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Ok that makes me feel better I was going to decline the ultrasound cause I am not interested in being induced or having a c-section unless there is a real medical need. I have no problem having a large baby, I figure that is the size it she should be and my body will be able to accomadate the size she grows to :). My mom also naturally delivered my brother who was almost 10lbs. If she can do it I can to. lol thanks ladies for your help once again.

doulala
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Any time, mama!!    :-D

I had a 10-pounder in the water, no tears, and a great time.  I mean that it was a fun birth!   I laughed and enjoyed myself...   SO much easier than my smaller baby.   !      Of course, I didn't know how big she was while birthing her, lol!    Better not to know!    ;-)

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

MamaToLucas
by on Jan. 14, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I measured between 3 & 4 weeks big from 12 to 36 weeks...then all of a sudden I hit a plateau at 37 cm and stayed there til delivery ( 39 weeks, 4 days). My son was 10 pounds, 22 inches, and everything was perfect with both him and me.

I wouldn't worry!

The ultrasound can check that your amniotic fluid levels are normal, that your dates are accurate, and double check that there's only one baby in there...other than that, everyone's body is different, and it might just be a big baby  (or not!).

Good luck!

KnoxvilleDoula
by on Jan. 14, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Can I get in on this action?? I agree with pp's -- if you wish to, decline the next u/s. :)

Quoting doulala:

o.m.g.   NO DOUBT.                ;-P

Quoting EuroMomTX:

Certified Doula, Childbirth Educator, Herbalist, Breastfeeding Advocate.
Vaccine Free/Delaying, Green-Living, Vegetarian, Animals Rights Advocate
Know your options! www.myspace.com/knoxvilledoula www.cappa.net www.dona.org
Your body, your birth, YOUR way. Birth is not a medical procedure.

CafeMom Hostess

nanasue31204
by on Jan. 20, 2009 at 3:16 PM

i measured big with my last, born nov. 30, 2008. Doctors kept telling me i was due dec 9 and i told them they were wrong that i know when i got pregnant and i can add so my due date was nov. 28th. guess who was right. so maybe your dates are off, i wouldn't worry as long as you and the baby are healthy.

they did an ultrasound me a week before i had him to see how big he was but its not very accurate. if they think the baby is too big they'll think about inducing before its too big to push out

PhilsBabyMama
by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 8:21 AM

You could be measuring big for any number of reasons.  The baby could be laying in a funny position, you could have more amniotic fluid than most, etc.  I wouldn't consent to the ultrasound.  This late in pregnancy they can be off by 2 pounds in either direction.  It would probably just be used as fuel by your OB to try to convince you to induce.  

Come join my group! Natural Birthing Mamas of Maryland! http://www.cafemom.com/group/naturalmdmamas 

Angee3Monkeys
by on Jan. 24, 2009 at 4:21 AM

I measured about 3 weeks big with my Daughter Morgan. However, I was induced 1 week early due to Medical problems (I of course birthed Her naturally). And She only came out 8lbs 1oz. My other 3 Kids were 9+lbs at birth... So I think you should just trust your instincts.. However, I would just go to the ultrasound just to see the baby and decline the induction or c-section.. I mean I always liked going to the US's! =0) HE He! Good Luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)