Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Retained Placenta and Class 4 Hemorrhage

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 9:09 PM
  • 6 Replies

I am suffering from some pretty tough depression when I think about my birth experience. I had a midwife attended birth at a birth center. My hard labor was only 6 hours and I found it to be intense but a really positive experience. Right when I thought I couldn't handle it anymore, the midwife told me I could push. After I delivered I sat on the bed and just held my baby. I asked what time it was so I could know when my daughter was born. I didn't even have time to check and see what sex my baby was before the midwife had me stand up and gave me a pitocin injection. I was really confused and asked what it was for. She said I was bleeding to much. I asked if I tore and she said no. She told me I needed to delivery the placenta and told me to push. I didn't feel the need to push like I did with my daughter and told her I just wanted to sit down. She gave me a shot of pitocin in the other thigh and finally let me sit down. I wanted to nurse the baby, but the midwife just kept telling me I needed to get out the placenta. When I looked at the clock it had only been 16 minutes since my daughter was born. Then the midwife tractioned my placenta (pulled on the umbilical cord) I felt the placenta rip from the inner wall.  I still hadn't been able to know if I had a daughter or a son. The midwife just kept telling me I really had to deliver the placenta. I asked what was wrong and she told me I was going to have a lot of problems if I didn't get the placenta out. I just wanted to nurse and she said after I delivered the placenta. I pushed and pushed for another 15 minutes or so and after a third shot of pitocin the placenta came out. Finally, I got to nurse my baby and by that time 45 minutes had gone by since she'd been born. I bled out for a total of 2.5 hours before I was sent to the hospital. I had 3 blood tranfusions. I had to have a D&C at the hospital which they put me under for. I was unconscious for 6 hours after the D&C and my poor baby was so hungry during that time frame, but my husband knew I didn't want her to have anything but breast. When I woke up they told me in addition to the retained placenta fragment I had a 6 inch second degree tear. I later developed an infection due to the transfusion and had a fever of 104 for 3 days. I spent the first 9 days of my daughter's life in the hospital. My midwife told me that she had to traction because my cervix was closing. I think that the pitocin is why my cervix was closing and she says that they didn't give me any pitocin until 45 minutes post partum. But it was practically immediately. I have trouble even thinking about the birth without feeling a great sense of remorse and sadness. I want to be able to view it as a happy experience. I am grateful that I got to delivery naturally, but am sad that for all the work I did, I had to suffer at the hospital for 9 days and suffer at home for 8 weeks post partum. I want to know if this is something I will likely face in the future or if it is likely because of the pitocin and traction interventions. I sought out midwifery care to avoid interventions and I feel like the interventions are why I had such severe post partum hemorrhage. Ultimately it is estimated that I lost about half of my total blood supply.

by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
emmalatte
by on Jun. 17, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Rissa, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. Of course I have no idea why your midwife felt she needed to deliver the placenta so urgently, even to the point of giving you so much pitocin. Of course you feel deeply sad -- it was traumatic, physically, emotionally, even spiritually, at a naturally climatic time in your life. And you were forced to be separated from your baby at the most intense time of bonding, closeness, and protection. I've also come to see natural labor as a way to avoid intervention that can lead to complication and prolonged recovery. Sounds like you were motivated to do that, and might feel a bit robbed. The question is why your midwife made the decisions she did -- was it irresponsible, or was she sincere in preventing a serious complication? I delivered my placenta very readily after birth, and my midwife also tugged to release it. I was on my back, holding my baby. I'm amazed that you pushed so long to deliver your placenta! Makes me want to know more about the natural process and health issues. I'm glad you and Baby are doing okay now.

JodiBear
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 4:56 PM

I'm just a medic and not a midwife, but I had a homebirth with a wonderful midwife and it was not urgent for me to deliver my placenta, I sat on the edge of my bed and nursed my son until the umbilical cord stopped pulsating, then the cord was cut, and the placenta delivered in just 2 pushes. This took more than 20 minutes and wasn't an issue. It's my understanding that the placenta detaches itself during the time it sends the baby the rest of the blood thru the cord, and as a medic who is trained to deliver on an emergency basis we are taught it's not an issue unless it has been more than 30 minutes and no interventions are needed before that time, especially if the mother is breastfeeding. Breastfeeding helps the uterus contract and control bleeding naturally.

blessedmamaof9
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Oh my I am so very very sorry!

I hemorrhaged after the twins from an overfull bladder and I could not pee!  Anyhow..drink liquid chlorophyll that will rebuild your blood super fast.

http://www.natural-pregnancy-mentor.com/treatments-for-anemia.html#H

Where you trully bleeding too much before she tore your placenta or did just panick???  I am just curious...

Again, I am very very sorry.

mum2boyz
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I'm so sorry you had to deal with that.  It's definitely scary.  I've hemorraged or started to with all 4 of my deliveries before delivering the placenta.  The first wasn't noticed and I lost about half my blood supply, and pretty close with my 2nd.  By 3rd they knew what to do to stop it right away, which was pit, methergine and uterus massaging.  She would have me nurse as well but I was in so much pain with the massaging and baby wasn't so interested I just skipped that till after all was done.  So in my experience it happened each time, but my mw's were fully aware of it after the first episode and gave me one shot of pit  then had me deliver the placenta, then more drugs and massaging.  I was even able to have a homebirth that went wonderful!  Hopefully by the next time you're mw will be able to keep on top of it but mostly hope you don't hemorrage at all!!  GL!!

in love5/24/02  Our family family in the van

My waterbabies ds1- 2/21/03smile big ds2- 9/27/04devlish ds3-6/16/07monkey My home waterbirth dd- 4/16/09smile mini

CalebMorgansMom
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 10:10 PM

That actually brought tears to my eyes. To hear this type of tragidy from a midwife attended birth is even worse.

I received pit shots after both of my births, but not till after the placenta was delivered. There was very little blood until the placenta came out, then there was tons and they quickly gave me the shot. If I were you I would look into this more, it is absolutely not ok and we wouldn't want it to happen to anybody else.

I am truly sorry, and I hope that any future birth experiences are everything you deserve and want.

RissaJ523
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 9:44 AM

I was bleeding a lot right after the baby was born, like a giant splash of blood and then a steady trickle for a while before the placenta delivered and it got heavier after the placenta delievered. I did have a 2nd degree tear that was 6 inches long from the inside of my vagina into my perineum. I think the inital bleeding was from the tear.

Quoting blessedmamaof9:

Oh my I am so very very sorry!

I hemorrhaged after the twins from an overfull bladder and I could not pee!  Anyhow..drink liquid chlorophyll that will rebuild your blood super fast.

http://www.natural-pregnancy-mentor.com/treatments-for-anemia.html#H

Where you trully bleeding too much before she tore your placenta or did just panick???  I am just curious...

Again, I am very very sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN