Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New!

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:16 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hey ladies!!

I am 25 weeks pregnant with our third baby boy, and we're wanting to have this birth be natural.
We are meeting with a doula this weekend, and I haven't ever used or met a doula, and wanted to know if any one has?

We are a military family, and we don't know who is going to deliver us since I see a different doctor each time, so I am hoping a Doula would work best for us. If anyone has any insight, or anything please let me know!!

I can't wait to meet everyone :)

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
momtokate
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 8:36 AM

I had a doula - it was the best decision I made! She helped keep the hospital and nurses on my birth plan and I was able to deliver almost naturally (IV b/c my water broke 24 hours prior). So I was happy with the result. I really had to fight with that OB, though, so be prepared!

I had to deliver in hospital because there are no birthing centers in my area (Chicago suburbs) and giving birth at home with a midwife is illegal here - ARGH! I know there are some other military moms here that had a natural birth. Good luck - I hope all goes well for you!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
blessedmamaof9
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Welcome! I have used a doula and if I had to have a hospital or birth center birth I would never do it without one!

Do you have any more specific questions???

Wife to the love of my life - mom of 9 

Praying Moms  Recipes

Natural Pregnancy ~ ***NEW***Forum

kaysun
by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 2:57 PM

I am unsure of your statement-you know that a dola is just a support person-and not someone who actually delivers babies-I.m thinking you know that-but just wanted to make sure. I have never used a Dola but it will greatly help you-they will be so much better then a nurse and will help make your request-know. I personally used midwives which are much more geared toward the natural process of birth so I did not really need a dola. But one would have have come in handy with my first while I was in the hospital my other 2 (3-currently pregnant) will be at home.

kaysun
by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Quoting momtokate:

I had a doula - it was the best decision I made! She helped keep the hospital and nurses on my birth plan and I was able to deliver almost naturally (IV b/c my water broke 24 hours prior). So I was happy with the result. I really had to fight with that OB, though, so be prepared!

I had to deliver in hospital because there are no birthing centers in my area (Chicago suburbs) and giving birth at home with a midwife is illegal here - ARGH! I know there are some other military moms here that had a natural birth. Good luck - I hope all goes well for you!

That suck I though only Alabama had home births as illegal-stupid government always butting their head where it does not belong. Glad that I did not move to Illinois.

tcymawmy
by on Sep. 10, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Hi, I just wanted to tell you that it NOT illegal to have a homebirth in IL. I had one. You have to have  CNM assist instead of a CPM. The midwife has to be a certifed nurse. Just wanted to let you know that it is possible to have a great homebirth in IL. Actually, there is an organization called Home First out of the suburbs that do homebirths too.

Quoting momtokate:

carrruth
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Hi Alicia!  Welcome!  And I just had to share that I grew up in Fairbanks, AK!  Are you planning to give birth on base or do they do births at Fairbanks Memorial?

I would definitely get a doula!  I had one with my second since I gave birth at home with HomeFirst and didn't know which doctor would attend and didn't know any of the nurses.  I really thought it was just to give me some piece of mind so I would have some consistency, but she really was a great help.

Some people have amazingly supportive significant others and friends, but I think it really helps to have someone else be a calming, reassuring presence when trying to have a natural childbirth.  Plus, there is just something about having another woman who has been there, done that, and truly believes in you help encourage you through those tough moments.

One of the things I would look for is experience, a plus, but not overly important.   More importantly is a belief in natural childbirth and their knowledge and experience specifically of natural birth.  Luckily, most doulas specialize in natural childbirth, so this shouldn't be a huge issue.

After narrowing down your selection, meet with a few and interview them in person.  Some questions to ask would be:  How long have they been a doula?  How many births have they attended?  Are they familiar with a hospital setting since that's where you will be giving birth?  What kind of coping techniques do they use to help you through labor?

But more important than all the experience and qualifications in the world is who does your gut tell you to go with!  My husband and I were down to choosing between two doulas, one extremely qualified and experience or one with significantly less experience, but who we both felt extremely comfortable with.  We both thought we should go with the first, but our guts both told us to go with the second and I firmly believe it was the right choice.  She was amazing during the birth and exactly what I needed.

This is going to be someone whom you need to be comfortable around.  You need to feel like you can easily tell them to do anything, allow them to touch your body, etc.  So that's why I think the most important thing you should base your decision on is who you feel is the best match for you!

Luckily, I think you probably have a good selection in Fairbanks, even though there isn't always a lot a variety up there!  If you need some referrals, I would try contacting the birth center in Fairbanks.  I'm sure they have a list of doulas they could put you in touch with.

Sorry for the L.O.N.G. response!  I got a little carried away!!! Best of luck!!!

Ruth, WAHM of 2 little monkeys!

Owner of Zerberts - A store dedicated to helping you find a baby carrier both mom and baby will love!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)