Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

anyone have an unplanned natural birth?

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 4:44 PM
  • 7 Replies

My first baby was 9 days early and I had a wonderful epidural (planned all along before I even got pregnant!) and my labor was longer, 17 hours.  It was a perfect experience, and when I got pregnant with baby #2 I assumed the labor and delivery would be similar, but a little shorter though.  I had planned to get an epidural again as soon as they allowed it.  Well, my doctor decided she wanted to induce me 4 days after my due date, because of some high blood pressure issues, but 6 hours before my induction, my water broke (no contractions or indications of labor beforehand).  Thinking I had lots of time, we took our time getting ready to go to the hospital, but each contractions was stronger, longer and closer together than the one before.  We got to the hospital 1.5 hours before my baby was born, and there wasn't time for any drugs or epidural.  The on-call anthesiolgist came in actually, but right before he got there I was 7cm and 3 minutes later I was fully dilated and pushing without control.  My baby was born about 2 minutes after  the doctor ran into the room, and she just flew out!  The whole time I was in labor, I kept wishing for an epidural, but  I am soo happy I got to experience a natural birth.  I never thought I would be able to do something like that, and I absolutely never wanted to before I was "forced" to :)   (my baby is 1 month old now, btw!)

It ended up being such a great experience, feeling her be born and the empowerment I got from being so proud of myself.  So, I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I am already thinking about what I want to do for baby #3.  I honestly don't think I could do a natural birth again if I didn't "have" to.  Soo...if you had an unplanned natural birth, what did you do or what are you doing for the next baby?  Because my baby was born so fast, my doctor already told me she could do an earlier induction next time (39 weeks) so that we are safely at the hospital.

by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
doulala
by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Not me~   my natural births were very intentional.

I think that it would be great to keep your mind open.   Research your options.   Know that you can reduce your pain and have a safer experience wthout any drugs.

I would also encourage you to investigate your care provider choices, too.   Doing something for the convenience of the doctor (unnecessary induction) is not putting the baby as the priority.   :-(

This is a ways away yet, no need to run in any direction now!   But keep your head up and your ears open.   Know that you can strive for a wonderful, enjoyable, and safer experience through preparation.

Congratulations on the new baby, sounds intense and exciting!!

The knowledge of how to give birth without outside intervention lies deep within each woman. Successful childbirth depends on an acceptance of the process. ~Suzanne Arms

Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” - Jeannine Parvati Baker

sweetpz
by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Congrats on your baby! 

I would definitely NOT opt for induction, that's as unnatural as it gets.

My first was 'unintentionally' natural, but I wasn't entirely sure going in that I didn't want it to be.  I was only 18 and knew I didn't want an epidural but wasn't against SOMEthing.  I got there at 7 cm and she was born a couple hours later, just like you.  I was SO empowered, though, and had my second after a 4 hour labor (unnecessarily induced, I was in MUCH more pain than I needed to be because of it) without meds and my third completely natural after only an hour and a half of labor.  I had him ten minutes after we arrived at the birth center. 

You WILL have time to get there if you GO.  I live 45 minutes away and got there in time, so can you.  I stress, NO induction for convenience, it's not worth it.

kaysun
by on Sep. 4, 2009 at 2:09 PM

I think most here had planned natural birth-with no inductions those are not natural. I think that you are seeking advice under the wrong support group/forum. A home birth can be just as safe if not safer then a hospital birth.

CalebMorgansMom
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:51 AM

I am shocked, yet not suprised, that before you are even pregnant again and at 39 weeks a dr would say you could be induced. That is not something a dr should do, they don't know what your situation might be at that time. In all reality due dates are innacurate and a due date would do better to be called a due month. We don't actually know exactly what puts a women into labor, but the baby and your body know when it is the right time. No baby will stay in you forever, they always come when they are good and ready. If you like birth stories you might consider reading spiritual midwifery before your next birth, I think it would give you a very different and possitive perspective on the birthing process as well as due dated, because I don't think the women in that book ever had due dates. When they went into labor thats when it happened and that was that. Just food for thought, obviously it is ultimately your decision, just try to make a well informed one. Also, congrats on the new baby and good luck with the next.

Angela =)

congratulations

KnoxvilleDoula
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 4:32 AM

Quoting kaysun:

I think most here had planned natural birth-with no inductions those are not natural. I think that you are seeking advice under the wrong support group/forum. A home birth can be just as safe if not safer then a hospital birth.

I disagree.. if only because you are asking questions and educating yourself. As previous posters mentioned, keep your options open! You may not have planned a natural birth, but it may lead you down a path to a better birth next time. Keep reading and educating yourself.

Certified Doula, Childbirth Educator, Herbalist, Breastfeeding Advocate.
Vaccine Free/Delaying, Green-Living, Vegetarian, Animals Rights Advocate
www.myspace.com/myspace.com/knoxvilledoula www.myarbonne.com/knoxvilledoula

Your body, your birth, YOUR way.
CafeMom Hostess

MamaJane
by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 10:26 PM

ME!  My first I had every intention of getting an epi.  It was what I was told so it's all I knew.  She came very fast and I didn't have time to get it.  I was amazed and empowered by the experience and it opened my mind to natural birthing. My next child was 9 lbs 8 oz and the one after that 11 lb 11 oz.  Both labors were the same length as my first (2 hours).

You can do it!  Don't let your doctor scare you into thinking you won't make it to the hospital. 

So no not eveyone started this journey with natural birthing in mind.  Just because you didn't doesn't mean you should be denied your natural birth.

Mom to my rainbow
Courtney the brunette, Cameron the red head and Trevor the blond
mum2boyz
by on Oct. 24, 2009 at 11:28 AM

I've always intended on having natural, but my suggestion to you is to research inductions, reasons for it, and what they do to you and baby.  I think THAT might change your mind on being induced.  I don't really understand the dr's reason to induce when he has no idea what your pregnancy will be like.  And unfortunatly just because this labor was quick, does not mean your next will be.  Chances are high it will be but if he induces early just for convienence, your body will not be ready and labor will be longer.  Seriously though, good for you for asking and preparing yourself now rather than just doing it cuz your dr says so. 

in love5/24/02  Our family family in the van

My waterbabies ds1- 2/21/03smile big ds2- 9/27/04devlish ds3-6/16/07monkey My home waterbirth dd- 4/16/09smile mini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)