Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Hands on frank breech birth on DHC (PIOG)

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2009 at 1:53 PM
  • 3 Replies

I was doing dishes last night and one of the many birthing shows on Discover Health Channel happened to be on TV. This woman arrived at the hospital 2 days before her scheduled c-section because her water broke. She was scheduled because the baby was frank breech. By the time she got to the hospital, the baby was already in the birth canal, so of course they couldn't do the c-section. They were going on and on about how dangerous this was, and how the doctor HAD to help get the baby out quick because this birth was such a huge emergency. They were pretty much ripping the baby out of her. This was the worst thing I have seen on there, It literally made me nauseous. Fortunately, the baby was fine at birth, or at least appeared to be, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they caused some problems later on down the road. I was in complete shock, and the mother had no clue that anything they were doing was wrong... Poor woman (although she could have done research, but I still feel bad for her, knowing what I know) and especially poor baby!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

by on Oct. 8, 2009 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
CalebMorgansMom
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:13 AM

Those shows are more often than not heartbreaking. You just have to wonder how we can spend so much time and effort researching something as simple as a tv, phone, laptop, etc. Yet the most important and life altering experience of a womens life is ignored. I just cannot imagine not educating myself on a situation that my baby and my body are in. That poor women, my heart aches for her.

shrugging

ReDy2BeMomAgaiN
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 4:32 AM

Frank breech is actually the safest position to try and deliver vaginally because the feet are up by the head which makes the whole body about the same size.  The biggest danger with a breech delivery is that sometimes after the body comes out the cervix clamps down on the neck and wont let the head out.  I work in Labor and Delivery and have seen it happen and it can be devistating for the baby and the mom who has to have her cervix cut in order to remove the trapped baby.  I took care of a pt who's water broke at home at 32 weeks and the baby's body delivered but head got stuck- the EMT's had to cut her cervix to save the baby's life.  Thankfully both survived the ordeal.  Breech deliveries can be done successfully but if it goes bad and the cervix decided to clamp down before the delivery of the head it can be VERY bad!

I'm Desiree, I'm 27, I am a Labor and Delivery nurse, I work 12 hour night shifts, I have a 10 year old and a 8 month old, I am married to a great man, I am in an interracial marriage and my children are biracial, I believe birth is natural and should be done naturally, I co-sleep but I do not bed-share, I think the greatest gift in the world is breastfeeding your children, I do not give solids before 6 months, I disposable diaper, I use binkies, I will rear-face past 1, I vaccinate, I am pro-life, I want at least 3 more children, I was a teen mommy who never stopped going to school and graduated from college with honors,  I am not perfect but do the best for my children everyday.

doulala
by on Nov. 6, 2010 at 11:21 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)