Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Seamless Tile Background Tutorial (DONE)

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:07 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 1509 Total Views

VIDEO:

You can also view the video to this tutorial here:
(Link removed. Redoing Video) - Layer & History windows were not showing in video.

STEP BY STEP:

You'll need:
This plugin: 'Seamless Texture Maker'
Optional plugin: 'Align Object'

You'll need an image that will fit in the middle of your canvas (This is where you would use 'Align Object' plugin). Make sure it's not touching any of the edges. For this tutorial, I'll using an image with a transparent attribute. In another tutorial, I'll use an image with no transparent attributes.

Duplicate the layer your image is on. Name one as STOCK, and another layer, CUT TILE. While you have your CUT TILE layer selected, Click on 'Effects', Hover over 'Distort', Click on 'Seamless Texture Maker..'. Click on the drop down menu and apply the settings shown here.

Your image should look similar to this:

Here comes the tricky part. Duplicate your STOCK layer TWO more times.
Name one of the duplicate layers: HORIZONTAL and the other VERTICAL

Depending on which layer you have selected. Use the 'Seamless Texture Maker' on these layers, BUT ONLY USE THE VERTICAL OR HORIZONTAL SETTING UNDER 'CHOOSE AXIS OF SYMETRY. DO NOT FLIP SELECTION.

For example, if you have the VERTICAL layer selected, you will apply the VERTICAL setting on 'Seamless Texture Maker'. 

You should have similar to this:

Depending on your image, you may have to put the individual pieces on separate layers because your image may need to be overlapping some parts. This can be confusing. Make sure you label your layers and keep them in the same order for your TOP, MIDDLE, and BOTTOM Rows. Notice in the image below, I have it all in the same order, from left to Right. You may also need to Duplicate your STOCK image a few times if you wish to 'fill out' the spaces. Move your 'duplicate STOCK' images into place. For this tutorial, I'm not going to fill out the spaces.

Once you have your rows in order from left to right. Flatten your layers into neat little rows. Once you have flatten your layers, Put the rows in order so it does't look so weird. Notice in the previous image, I had my rows: TOP, BOTTOM, MIDDLE. In this image, I have it BOTTOM, MIDDLE, TOP.

Technically, you're all done! Just flatten your layers after you add a background!

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
xsherbearx
by New Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Will edited the post once I get the video done to add it.

hairstylist2011
by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 11:44 AM

where do you find plug ins?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)