Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My DF is thinking about joining!! i have some MORE ?'s

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:39 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 348 Total Views

My DF is thinking about joining and i was hoping to get a little more information on the coast guard.

I only have a few ?'s that i can think of, but any more info would be greatly appreciated. Is it a reg 9-5, Mon-Fri job? Do they relocate us? How long is the training? Whats the health care like? What's the pay like?

*EDIT*

Do they pay while he's in training? Do they pay for the ticket to the training center?

I'am a proud 20 year old mother who is a vaccinating, co-sleeping, once breastfed now formula feeding, swear word user, disposable diapering, sing my <3 out while driving, tattoo'd, school going, thick headed, fast food eating, ear piercing, hair dying, stay at home mother of 1 beautiful little girl!!

by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
BKCM2008
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:55 PM

bump

I'am a proud 20 year old mother who is a vaccinating, co-sleeping, once breastfed now formula feeding, swear word user, disposable diapering, sing my <3 out while driving, tattoo'd, school going, thick headed, fast food eating, ear piercing, hair dying, stay at home mother of 1 beautiful little girl!!

HannahMayr
by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:32 PM

My husband is joining soon also. gocoastguard.com is an awesome site w/ lots of info. Also, recruters have some fun stuff.

alliesaurus
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Some jobs in the coast guard are like a regular job and get off at 4:00 pm, but most that i know of aren't. different stations  have different schedules, and if he gets on a cutter ship then he will be gone for extended periods of time. Dh was on the Morgenthau for a year and was gone for 3 months at a time, and when they were home he still have to work from 7 am - 3 pm M-F. At our station now in Bodega Bay , CA he is two days on two days off with sliding weekends that alternate as well, but they can call him in to work as they please. he has loads of days that he is supposed to be home but is called into work, and no they do not give you an extra day off for working extra ours or any other type of compensation for your extra time. Yes, you will most likely be relocated, unless you live along the coast line and are lucky enough to get a station there! Training again depends on the job he is going into. In my experience there is always something they are going to training for and re-training for. Health care we have Tri-Care Prime, we pay $30 a month so I can choose me and my daughters own civilian doctor and pay absolutely no co-pays on doctor visits or prescriptions that are covered. The pay also depends on jobs and ranks. when DH first joined he made like 1500 a month single and got another $200 or so after we married? That was our base pay which does NOT include our BAH (housing allowance) which depends on the cost of living where you are stationed example being I know in Pascagoula Mississppi it was $650 a month and in San Francisco California it is like $2,300. Unless you live on base which costs you nothing and you dont need BAH and other miscellaneous allowances for food and such. But Pay goes up as years go buy and he does more and trains more. There are days we love it and days that we dont, just like any other job.

Hopefully that wasn't too confusing and helped you out!

BKCM2008
by on May. 27, 2009 at 5:05 PM

bump 

raine.arnesen
by on May. 27, 2009 at 5:16 PM

OMG, you're in Bodega Bay!?! We're in Petaluma, DH is at A-school :)

The Coast Guard is not really a typical 9-5 kind of job, it can be at times, but it's not a guarantee.

They do relocate you, but it's pretty much paid for when you do. I'm not sure how you feel about being relocated, but we look at it as a good thing! We get to move around and see lots of cool new things!

Boot camp is 8 weeks long (unless they get rephased or reverted). They also have schools to go through when they get their rate and there will most likely be miscellanous schools through out depending on how long he stays in. My DH is in OS A-school right now and that is 18 weeks long.

I haven't had too much experience with the health care yet, I've heard horror stories from some people, but others I've known have really liked it and had no problems whatsoever.

He does get paid while he is in boot camp. He starts getting paid the moment he swears in. My husband left for boot camp on Feb. 24th and we got the first check direct deposited on April 13th. Definitely set up a bank account that his check can be direct deposited in, I recommend USAA, they are awesome.

All of his travel to and from anything he has to do for the Coast Guard is paid for.

The pay isn't the best, but it's not terrible. It's a good steady pay check. We're not wealthy by any means, but we're comfortable.

Here is a pay chart:

Ok...so my computer isn't working right for some reason, but you can see a pay chart at military.com or just google coast guard pay chart...whatever, it'll pull it up!

Quoting alliesaurus:

Some jobs in the coast guard are like a regular job and get off at 4:00 pm, but most that i know of aren't. different stations  have different schedules, and if he gets on a cutter ship then he will be gone for extended periods of time. Dh was on the Morgenthau for a year and was gone for 3 months at a time, and when they were home he still have to work from 7 am - 3 pm M-F. At our station now in Bodega Bay , CA he is two days on two days off with sliding weekends that alternate as well, but they can call him in to work as they please. he has loads of days that he is supposed to be home but is called into work, and no they do not give you an extra day off for working extra ours or any other type of compensation for your extra time. Yes, you will most likely be relocated, unless you live along the coast line and are lucky enough to get a station there! Training again depends on the job he is going into. In my experience there is always something they are going to training for and re-training for. Health care we have Tri-Care Prime, we pay $30 a month so I can choose me and my daughters own civilian doctor and pay absolutely no co-pays on doctor visits or prescriptions that are covered. The pay also depends on jobs and ranks. when DH first joined he made like 1500 a month single and got another $200 or so after we married? That was our base pay which does NOT include our BAH (housing allowance) which depends on the cost of living where you are stationed example being I know in Pascagoula Mississppi it was $650 a month and in San Francisco California it is like $2,300. Unless you live on base which costs you nothing and you dont need BAH and other miscellaneous allowances for food and such. But Pay goes up as years go buy and he does more and trains more. There are days we love it and days that we dont, just like any other job.

Hopefully that wasn't too confusing and helped you out!

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

raine.arnesen
by on May. 27, 2009 at 5:27 PM

I also recommend checking out coastiechicks.net. A lot of Coast Guard wives and girlfriend! They have a lot of great info there!

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)