Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baltimore Bound in less than 1 1/2 Week.

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:00 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 205 Total Views

We leave Savannah Ga  (my HOME) on the 18th of June ( next Thursday) to head up to IL to see my husband's parents and drop off our babies then head to baltimore to House Hunt. Once we find a DECENT ( meaning NICE) place to live we head back to IL to get our babies and our cats and then head back to our NEW HOME in Baltimore. Phillip has a repost date of July 16th. Anyone been stationed in Baltimore? Now where any GREAT Places to rent are and how are the schools there? We both are headed to Baltimore never have been there before and no idea what to do or WHERE to look for a place. Any suggestions or opinions are welcome and appreicated. Thanks :0)

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
shananagins86
by on Jul. 19, 2009 at 3:24 AM
I just realized I'm replying after his report date...I can only hope it's still helpful

First of all, I'd like to say I'm so sorry! My husband and I had lived in Maryland for over a decade until we moved to Seattle last month (!!!), and neither of us were happy there. I sincerely hope you can find the best of MD. My husband was stationed in DC for 6 years, but it's only a half hour or so from Baltimore. How nice of an area you want to live really depends on how much you want to spend and how far you want to drive (but is that really any different from anywhere else?) We've lived on the Eastern Shore (about a 45 minute commute), Laurel (about 10), and in Annapolis (half hour depending on traffic), and I can tell you that Annapolis was by far the best. The Eastern Shore can be pretty expensive, it's very quiet and family-friendly, you really have to go back to Annapolis for shopping, movies, etc. There is some really nice dining though. I've heard the schools are good, but I didn't go to school there, so I can't really speak to that. We lived in what I would call one of the best parts of Laurel, but it was a small expensive apartment community, and the surrounding area didn't compare. However, you're within 5 minutes of Ft. Meade (which is really handy for medical stuff), and there's lots of shopping and dining. I don't know anything about the schools, but I can tell you that there's really not much family oriented stuff. Annapolis on the other hand was wonderful. Being the capital, as well as a sailing community, it was definitely the most expensive of the three, but there are many places within reason. Shopping, dining, family entertainment, parks, trails, the harbor, ice rinks, as well as the proximity to the Naval Academy (it's right downtown), make Annapolis really busy. If you do decide on Annapolis, or anywhere close, I can recommend First Night; it's a New Year's Eve family celebration. The traffic within Annapolis can get very heavy, but it was well worth it. Downtown Baltimore for the most part is not a good area; if you get a 5 minute walk away from the Inner Harbor you really want to turn back. My husband says there's a nice area in Northern Baltimore near the water however. Near the Inner Harbor though is the Science Center, the Aquarium (one of the best I've been to), and many other sights to see. At all costs however, avoid 495! The traffic is awful even when it's not rush hour, and one of the things to contend with in all of MD is construction all the time. If there's any other advice I can give you (I know it's probably too much already!), please let me know, and I'll try and help any way I can! Enjoy your trip though!
Sweety0024
by on Jul. 20, 2009 at 10:08 PM

We are stationed at fort meade.  We live on base housing here.  Most of the housing is nice.  Just depends on your husbands rank.  The schools on fort meade are nice.  There are 3 elementary schools on post and a middle school and high school.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

TennesseeVols_1
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 3:17 AM

Thanks to the ones that replied to this post. It's now July 29th and we found a house and are renting it for $1595 a month. It's a 3 lvl townhome located in Belcamp near the Abington / BelAir areas. Phillip ( my husband) takes 695 ( the bypass) home and we are finding out right now just how much we HATE frickin TOLL Bridges and roads here. Never had that kinda issue in Savanah Ga ( where I'm from). So far the TRAFFIC, IDOITIC INCONSIDERATE DRIVERS ( but you have those in about every state here in America it seems no matter where you go), and TOLLS are the only things that annoy the hell out of me. We've already been to Gettysburg ( LOVED IT), and this Saturday we are going to DC to see Arlington National Cemetery and a few other National Monuments and landmarks. Can't wait for that.

Phillip reported the 20th of July and we got here July 15th and the movers were here the very next day ( was so thankful for that). However, the movers and packers that were sent to pack us and move us to Baltimore SUCKED and must have LEVELED a 500 acre forest to wrap up our belongings ( as much packing paper that they used to wrap up things) it was ALOT of paper and it was INSANE. They were total IDOITS. But being that I spent 11 full years ARMY, it was no suprise they'd send SH*TTY Service to move you. Pardon my language. It's like after 3 in the morning and I can't sleep at all and I'm low on my caffine intake. Anyhow if anyone's in the BELCAMP MARYLAND area PLEASE LET ME KNOW... Ya'll take care and hopefully I'll be back on here soon enough. :0)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)