Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A couple of questions

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:08 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 274 Total Views

Does this sound like celiacs? This is my post from from a couple weeks ago. Sorry its so long.

My daughter was born on May 4, 2008. She was put on similac Advanced when my milk supply didn't come in. She was happy but very gassy. She choked frequently. She didn't spit up much but when she did it was the whole bottle. She gained pretty good but was lower than what the Dr wanted. So at 2 months I switched her to Similac Isomeal. At 3 months Rice cereal was started and only rice. She got better wasn't as fussy and didn't spit up at all. She still choked frequently. She started hitting milestones she hadn't done yet. Holding her head up for more than a moment. She smiled. She even sat up for a few moments at 3.5 months. We thought she was doing great. At 4 months the diarrhea started. It was really watery and would burn her bottom leaving painful blisters. This would come and go for several weeks and then it went away for the last time. At 6 months it came back and never left again until she was a year and taken off formula. We thought maybe it was the formula she was on. She gained a couple of pounds and a couple inches in height. She had normal poop. Well after a couple more months, in July, it came back only this time worse. This time she stopped eating too. Everyday she ate a cheese stick and that was it. Her favorite foods she refused. Sweets she refused. What toddler doesn't want sweets?

She had allergy testing to casein, rice, soy, milk, there was more but I can't think of it right now. Everything came back normal. No allergies. We did elimination diets to see if it was an intolerance to all of the stuff. Nothing different. It wasn't hard for this since she only ate cheese anyway. After everything came back normal we started her on kid boost. We finally got in to a ped GI. She was started on Prevacid for silent reflux and fiber to see if that could possibly help her.

On the fiber she started sleeping through the night. She started eating. She wasn't gassy anymore. She stopped spitting up. She was more active. Overall happier and more content. She started talking, smiling, laughing, dancing. Her big round belly went away. The ped GI took her off the fiber because it made her diarrhea worse. She came off the fiber. She stopped sleeping through the night and now would actually wake up screaming. She still has diarrhea. She started spitting up again, even on prevacid. Her big swollen belly is back. She is more exhausted all the time. Fussy and gassy. She doesn't smile as much. She doesn't laugh as much.

This is how my daughter's life is. She is in pain, but they don't know why. Other than the intestinal issues my daughter is happy and healthy. This top pic is my daughter on halloween in a 3-6 month onsie. She was days from being 18 months. She was still on fiber and had a sunken stomach

This was a few days after the first picture. Her belly is swollen and as you can see she does smile.

Also Latest test results say she that her Hemoglobin is extremely low. I don't know if that helps.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
prissmom
by Group Admin on Jan. 2, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Sorry to wait so long.   Holidays we wild.  We have lots of family birthdays in Dec. too.  

Answered by PM.

fullofhope19
by Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:19 AM

it sounds like this could possibly celiac or gluten intolerance. Some of the signs that point in that direction are, the swollen stomach, the gas pain and diarrhea. Also it is interesting that you mention fiber made it better. I recently read an article that talked about why fiber is better for those with celiac and gluten intolerance and that is because it allows the food that could harm you to go through your system faster where it causes minimal reactions in the intestines. Which I found very interesting because I too was put on fiber when they thought I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome and just like your daughter it made things better. Not totally 100% better but better. Another sign is the fact you mentioned her hemoglobin was low. This points to iron deficiency which is a sign of malabsorption, another sign of celiac. Now, the problem is that a lot of doctors will not test a child so young so I do not know what to tell you but I guess maybe try a gluten free diet on her and see if it makes it better. That is ultimately what got me diagnosed with gluten intolerance. Trust me she will be very thankful you did when she notices herself feeling better. It may be hard at first but within 6 months if it is celiac disease and within a couple of weeks if it is gluten intolerance she will feel a TON better. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)