Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

thinking about putting my son on Gf diet

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:14 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 290 Total Views

How difficult would it be to maintain a gluten free diet for my son?

I am been doing lots of reading about celiacs and non celiacs gluton intolerance. And i am beginning to wonder if it will help my son. I noticed he has many of the symptoms of it. But I don't even know where to start.

He has speech and other mild developmental delays and I read that alot of times that is a symptom and once on the diet things will start to clear up. Those aren't the only symptoms he has but they are the biggest ones.  others are excema, bowel issues and so forth

last year he was diagnosed as hypoglycemic because ever since he was a toddler if he didn't eat a large dinner he would wake up very sick the next morning. He would vomit stomach bile and be lethargic. You couldn't wake him for anything. He was in and out of hospitals and doctors offices. We eventually figured out if we gave hime some kind of soda he would come right out of an episode which confused doctors further. I took it as his blood sugar was low and thats why it helped so the doctor finally ordered a glucose test and he was borderline hypoglycemic.

But after reading all this gluten stuff, I am beginning to wonder if those episodes are more of a malabsortion issue than a hypo-glycemic. Because it only happens if he should skip dinner. It's a rare occurance now because he is better at finishing his food at night. unless he is being completely stubborn because he simply doesn't like the meal. 

Anyway like i mentioned above i don't know where to start. so I am open to tips and experiences from those who have been through it. 

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MaggotMom
by on Sep. 2, 2010 at 11:08 PM

My personal opinion is that everyone should be on a gluten free diet. My kids aren't even celiacs and they already have less issues than they had before the household went on a GF diet. SO, I say go for it. I don't know one since person that has had a negative experience with it.

Starting is easier said than done, sadly. It's very confusing at first becaue gluten hides in the darndest places. Everything you eat or buy needs to have it's label checked and double checked. Companies like ConAgra will actually list if there is something that contains gluten, and I've found that name brands are actually safer than generics. Especially, Walmart generics. Wally World lists their gluten, but EVERYTHING they make is cross contaminated. Make a list of the things you buy and then look up on Google whether it's GF or not.

For instance, "Heinz Ketchup Gluten Free". If it's GF, it'll be well documented. If it's not, call the company and ask them, or email.

Good place to go is here http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/

I get most of my tips from there as to what products people are buying. Some stores have GF sections, Walmart does not. However, Walmart carries the GF version of Bisquick, and my local grocery does not. Bisquick made my day with that one.

My advice while you're learning about labels and getting used to the newer foods is to cut out most carbs. I did that, here, and it worked wonders. We ate veggies and meat, and brown rice for about 4 wks while I got used to how I would have to add other things. I still don't eat bread because I can't stand any of the GF breads. You can make your own rice flour out of brown or white rice in a blender or grinder, but a lot of the flours and things are very expensive in my experience and you usually have to mix 2 or 3 of them to get the desired result if you bake a lot.

Betty Crocker has some GF cake and cookie mixes though! YAY! And the cookies, once you eat em you'll never go back to regular cookies. The GF kind are betta!

My best advice is to google search everything. Read what other people are doing and buying and where. See if there's a GF community where you live, an association or something, they are always a big help.

jenniamigo
by New Member on Sep. 3, 2010 at 8:39 AM

He had his well child checkup yesterday and she is sending for bloodwork to check for a sensitivity, chromosone testing, and other food allergies. And then she is going to send him to a geneticist.  But i heard that it is difficult to catch it early so idk.

Should i let him have some toast or something before the test. I mean does it help prevent a false negative.

MaggotMom
by on Sep. 3, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Generally, they say that you must be eating gluten regularly for the testing to be accurate. I never tested beyond the bloodwork, and I have all the genetic markers, so I just took them at their word. Plus, i'd been GF for months before that and had never felt better. But, if you're going beyond the bloodwork testing, I'd just give him the regular diet until such time as they give you the answer.

Be aware that some people with gluten "sensitivity" won't test positive for any celiac disease. So, after all is said and done, if you choose, try the diet and see if there's any difference in his issues.

happy2bmom0406
by Member on Sep. 3, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I have a son with Celiac Disease as well as Autism.  He has eczema and bowel issues as well.  The gluten free diet was the BEST THING I EVER DID!  Obviously he needed it for Celiac but it helped IMMENSELY with the Autism as well.  He is now fully integrated into typical first grade.  It is really overwhelming at first but it gets really easy.  Get used to using Corn Tortillas and Rice Cakes instead of bread and Betty Crocker makes Cake, Cookies, and Brownies that are SO GREAT!  My family members who are not gluten free love them!  I went gluten free as well because I was having health issues and my life has changed.  I would be happy to answer any specific questions.  Get Gluten Free cookbooks and there is a Gluten Free Grocery Guide from Amazon.com.  That will get you started!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)