Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

self diagnosed gluten intolerant

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 202 Total Views

A few months ago I was feeling incredibly fatigued, but I had just moved to a new town and state and chalked it up to that.  But then I found that I could not shake the foggy, almost confused feeling I had, no matter how much sleep I got.  My bms were always really loose, but I thought that was good since I used to always be constipated.   I finally couldn't take it and went to the emergency room one night because I thought I had a stroke or cancer or something. (My doctor just kept readjusting my blood pressure meds). Hospital blood tests showed crazy low potassium, magnesiun, calcium and sodium levels.  They asked me and my husband if I was an alcoholic!!!  Took the blood tests back to my dr. and she asked me very suspiciously the same thing,  I spent 3 solid days on line and came across gluten allergies related to a search about malapsorption.  I became convinced I at least had an intolerance.  I went to the dr. a few weeks later and had another blood test...almost normal levels.  I've been gluten free for about 3 months, but not religiously so. Had some crackers aand a mini sandwich and paid.  I had been feeling betther but thought it was psychological or a coincedence, but I felt tired and just not well for the next 2 days.  Part of me wants to have the proper dx, but I have to start consuming gluten again, but I'm not sure it's worth it.  I know this is a bit of a rant, but I was looking to tell my story and see if it's like anyone else's.  Some of my friends and family think  I'm just jumping on the recent gluten free bandwagon!  I hadn't known there was one!  Thanks for letting me vent!  Peace

by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
ig1ggle
by New Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Did you have the specific test for gluten. It wont just "show up" on a blood test. I was just diagnosed last week. I too have had body aches and so tired beyond belief.. but the tip off was in routine bloos work my levels of vitamin D were beyond low and I had just taken a prescription dose over 8 weeks. My doc said.. I think you have celiac because of the non absorbtion. HAVE ANOTHER BLOOD TEST SPECIFIC FOR GLUTEN.

ailebur
by New Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Thanks so much...I have an appointment next week with an allergist...will post results!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)