Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wondering about his health... Update

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 11:28 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 123 Total Views

My stepson is 12. About 2 years ago we had him allergy tested, along with our twin boys who are now almost 6. They all came up positive for wheat allergen. Extremely high. We have gone back and forth with a wheat free diet, but never stuck to it. When we had that testing done, my stepson was also told he has hashimoto's thyroiditis.

We (my husband & I) tried to get his mom to do the wheat free diet, but she refused. It wasn't an option in her house, too expensive she said.

Well, over the years (I've known him since he was 5), he has always had constipation issues. His tummy hurts all the time, and he can rarely go without stimulation of some sort. About six months back, he was in so much pain that his mom took him to the doctor. He had an x-ray and was backed up almost to his stomach. They put him on the BRAT diet, but nothing really changed, except the pain level. Now he's having the issue again. He has eaten two loaves of bread this week alone, and is doubled in pain all day. I believe it is from the wheat (or gluten, really), and I tried telling his mom we need to do a gluten free diet for a month to see if this helps him. She refused again.

So tonight I'm looking up gluten/wheat sensitivities vs. abdominal pains. I'm reading about Celiac's, which I've read about before, but have never given much thought to. So then I get to the part where it talks about the different auto-immune diseases that it's commonly associated with. Hashimoto's Thyroiditis is one of them.

Has anyone dealt specifically with thyroid issues, or can give me more details on celiac's symptoms from a parent's perspective instead of a doctor's? I'm calling to make a doctor appointment tomorrow, to get the ball rolling on testing for celiac's (there is testing, isn't there?) ...

I feel so bad for him, though, because we could have gotten this taken care of a long time ago if his mom had only put her son's health first instead of her own thoughts and opinions. Makes me so frustrated & angry & sad for him. I'm trying to put his health first here, and she's being selfish. She says she 'doesn't want to take a whole food group out of his diet because he will become vitamin deficient' ... I tried explaining that gluten is essitiently 'glue' and makes it hard to digest, as well as taking most of your nutrients out of your food. But she still doesn't care. Anyone have good links I could refer her to?

We went to the doctor on Friday. She mentioned Celiac's. We did a blood panel, and are going for results this Friday. Praying we get some results that give us a solution to his issues. His mom is still reluctant to admit it could be gluten causing his issues. Praying her eyes are opened.

My actions do not just affect my life, but also the lives of those that depend on me. Therefore, I choose to make good decisions, ones that will have a positive impact on the lives I've been given to raise up.

by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
JasonsMom2007
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 2:36 PM

My holistic doctor says that he has cured every case of hashimotos he has ever seen by eliminating wheat from the diet.  Let's hope he's right because I have it.  I need to get my labs redone and then go find out.  He says it's all a wheat allergy that causes the body to turn on itself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)