Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I haven't joined the group yet BUT

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 288 Total Views

My mom just found out she has Celiac Desise and she says it runs in the family. She has almost all the symtoms and she says I have a few. I am going to make a Dr. apt to find out but I have a question I am scared to go to the Dr. If I find out I do have it then I will have to give ALL of my fav foods up. If I don't go to the Dr. then it doesn't matter because I will not know so I really don't know if I want to go to the Dr.

by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
LIZARD66
by Member on May. 25, 2009 at 12:08 PM

I didn't think I had symptoms, either. Then I was dx'ed "by accident," when my endo discovered Celiac antibodies in my bloodwork while I was being treated for my hypothyroid. Since then, I have learned a lot more about symptoms, and although I apparently have another problem that aggravates it (Candida yeast overgrowth in the intestine), I know that the issues I experienced for years (gas, constipation) can be CD symptoms.

Also, if you don't have symptoms now, it does not mean you never will. They generally develop/worsen over time, so it should become obvious to you after awhile. My father and brothers went gluten-free after my dx and now think they have always had some symptoms but were unaware.

Believe me, I know the pain of giving up so many of your favorite foods, but please know that there are so many GF substitutes out there that are just as good! I have fallen in love with Amy's Gluten-Free pizza!! There are also pastas and breads you would never know are gluten-free, so if you do find you have to adopt this way of living, it won't kill you. :) In fact, your life can be so much better!

LIZARD :)

Proud mom to 18 yo Caren, and 14 yo Drew, autism and Chiari Malformation. Dealing with my own chronic neuro and endocrine issues and getting healthy at last! :)
Gina, I miss you every hour of every day. :( I hope you're enjoying Heaven and all the clean air. :) 9/5/66-10/22/07

happy2bmom0406
by Member on May. 25, 2009 at 7:46 PM

My four year old son was diagnosed this last year and I gave up gluten because I did not want him to feel left out.  I have had health issues my whole life.  Broken bones, stomach issues, chronic headaches, chronic bladder infections, and most recently calcium build up in my kidneys due to poor absorption.  It got to the point where I was actually close to loosing my kidneys.  It can get that bad really fast!!  I was called a drama queen and accused of being lazy and trying to "get out" of doing things.  Psychologically it was hard having everyone not believing me.

When I gave up gluten my life CHANGED!!!  I used to live for gluten filled products!!  Bread, crackers, cereal, OOOHHH did I love the gluten!!!  I was litterally addicted!!!  It took a while for me to realize that I FINALLY FELT HEALTHY!!  Never in my life did I EVER feel this good.  Once I realized that I gave it up completely.  THEN on my birthday I decided I "deserved" to cheat.  I was sick and in pain for a week!!!  I went through withdrawl!!  I never realized how serious it was until then!!  Now I am addicted to feeling good.  I have a whole new life.  I am active and really never realized how miserable I was.  It is SOOOOOOO WORTH IT!!  You just have to love yourself more than you love those foods!!  At first I joked that it would be easier to give up crack than gluten!!  Good luck!!!!

kissing dadstork

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)