Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Mom and new to this lifestyle ~ Help please!

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 12:04 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 298 Total Views

So, I've been "flirting" with the idea of living a Vegetarian/Vegan lifestyle for many years, but due to laziness and lack of self-discipline I never followed through, until recently. I have a 8 month old son and I want the best for him. I have always felt that what we eat directly affects our overall health. My DH is not 100% on board or convinced that meat and dairy aren't necessary for our son. His Mother is a nurse and she will tell us again and again that he needs these things. I could use some tips and advise on this along with several other things...

Is it ok to give my baby Almond, Soy, Coconut, Rice Milk instead of regular milk? Will he get what he needs from these milks without having regular milk or cheese? I already give him Rice Milk and I do give him organic yogurt and cottage cheese occasionally too. He is breastfed and I give him the rice milk, just an ounce or two, for something to drink. Is this ok?

I have read that Soy and Tofu are not the best for babies and children, boys in particular. How do you feel about this? If not dairy, meat or tofu what else should I feed him other than beans for his protein? 

What about his B-12? How can I be sure he is getting enough?

Lastly, how do you go about holidays, eating at friends houses, ice cream, etc.? DH is worried about him feeling like an oddity or left out. He doesn't want for him to feel he has to refuse to eat what a friends Mother makes for dinner. He also wants for him to grow up with the turkey tradition on Thanksgiving, etc. I don't want him to miss out on traditions either, but how do you go about it without seeming hypocritical? And, how and when do you teach them where their food is coming from without scaring them out of eating meat? I don't want to scare him, but I think he should know the truth about it.

I appreciate you reading all of this and any insight you can offer.  

by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Britania
by New Member on Sep. 30, 2011 at 9:09 AM

I would love to hear an answer to this as well.  :)

Baci3000
by New Member on Sep. 30, 2011 at 10:21 AM

I just joined the group and I was really hoping to get some insight from experienced Vegetarian/Vegan Moms. I guess this isn't a very active group. Either that or no one wanted to read through my "book". Lol!

Quoting Britania:

I would love to hear an answer to this as well.  :)

Mirauder
by Member on Sep. 30, 2011 at 11:49 AM
Your baby should only gave breast milk or formula for the first year only. My son and daughter take a vegetarian multivitamin to fill gaps. My son drinks horizon milk 2 percent with omega 3 in it. Holidays are hard. I usually bring a dish. My mother in law prepares things to the side. We are lacto ovo so we eat eggs and dairy. The hardest thing is trying to not have my son grab someone else's food. You kind of learn as you go. Yeah this is a pretty dead group I am disappointed to. We eat soy products like morningstar farms, a lot of beans, nuts. Soup is the best fit for my family. My son was picky when he turned two. We sent his meals to school and they made sure they gave him what we sent otherwise they asked. You kind of learn as you go.
Baci3000
by New Member on Oct. 1, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Thanks for responding. I do wish there was more activity in this group. It will be challenging, but we will figure it out. For right now he is breastfed and eats a diet of veggies, beans, grains and a little dairy (yogurt and cottage cheese). I give him rice milk in a sippy cup once in a while with his meals depending on what he's having. The rice milk isn't to replace breastmilk. I will die if Ian becomes a picky eater. I pray that he loves his fruits and veggies. We will figure it out as we go. Thanks again! :)

Quoting Mirauder:

Your baby should only gave breast milk or formula for the first year only. My son and daughter take a vegetarian multivitamin to fill gaps. My son drinks horizon milk 2 percent with omega 3 in it. Holidays are hard. I usually bring a dish. My mother in law prepares things to the side. We are lacto ovo so we eat eggs and dairy. The hardest thing is trying to not have my son grab someone else's food. You kind of learn as you go. Yeah this is a pretty dead group I am disappointed to. We eat soy products like morningstar farms, a lot of beans, nuts. Soup is the best fit for my family. My son was picky when he turned two. We sent his meals to school and they made sure they gave him what we sent otherwise they asked. You kind of learn as you go.

campeno
by New Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I breastfed all 3 of my kids. My oldest drank whole milk butmy next two did soy, rice, and finally almond milk. Just make sure ds gets enough vitamin D.

I did all organics and made my baby food. I was most diligent with my first and she is my best eater by far. Kids will like what they are introduced to....if the "bad" choices are never introduced then you'll have no problem:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
campeno
by New Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:47 PM
Another thought... I used "The Super Babyfood" book as a reference when I had my first. Taught me how to make baby food but also a great resource for describing what foods to eat, why, when, vitamin content, etc. Also had great recipes for once they begin eating more meals, as well as healthier cakes/ desserts. And many of the recipes were vegetarian, if not all. I highly recommend!!

And your concern about traditions, like ice cream... there are alternatives. Or you can take on the philosophy of everything in moderation:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baci3000
by New Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Thank you for this! After much thought, I have decided to go by the philosophy of everything in moderation. I figure, if I'm feeding my family a healthy diet most of the time and instilling in them healthy eating habits then the occasional ice cream, etc. shouldn't hurt. I felt like I needed to relax a little. It is just impossible to keep these things away from him when everyone around us eats anything and everything and assumes he can as well. All I can do is teach him what is good for him and what is not and hope that he makes the best decisions for himself. For his upcoming Birthday, I got him a little smash cake made with healthier ingredients from a specialty bakery and for everyone else I ordered a regular sheet cake from Sam's Club. I figure I will do the best I can for him and hope for the best in return! Thanks for your response.

Quoting campeno:

Another thought... I used "The Super Babyfood" book as a reference when I had my first. Taught me how to make baby food but also a great resource for describing what foods to eat, why, when, vitamin content, etc. Also had great recipes for once they begin eating more meals, as well as healthier cakes/ desserts. And many of the recipes were vegetarian, if not all. I highly recommend!!

And your concern about traditions, like ice cream... there are alternatives. Or you can take on the philosophy of everything in moderation:)

rkoloms
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 6:53 PM

My daughter went from breastmilk to water. Milk is nutritionally unnecessary. We do eat a little dairy, though dairy can do more harm than good. More than three servings a day can leach iron and other nutrients from the body

Baci3000
by New Member on Jan. 17, 2012 at 7:48 AM
I agree. Dairy actually concerns me more than some meats. We avoid milk all together and stick with a variety of Hemp, Coconut and Almond milk, which my now 1 year old has taken a liking to wonderfully. I buy Rice Dream ice cream and coconut ice cream for myself and my husband, but we do eat cheese in small amounts here and there in a dinner. I do not care for many of the cheese alternatives I`ve tried. One that I do like in a grilled cheese sandwich has casin (?) in it and from what I understand that is ultimately what should be avoided. So, we`re doing alright so far. I actually feel better/less stressed now that I`ve relaxed a little bit. I think I had a bit of a new Mom panic when it came time to feed my child solid foods. I just want him to be a good eater and a healthy little guy!

Quoting rkoloms:

My daughter went from breastmilk to water. Milk is nutritionally unnecessary. We do eat a little dairy, though dairy can do more harm than good. More than three servings a day can leach iron and other nutrients from the body

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rkoloms
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Baci3000:

I agree. Dairy actually concerns me more than some meats. We avoid milk all together and stick with a variety of Hemp, Coconut and Almond milk, which my now 1 year old has taken a liking to wonderfully. I buy Rice Dream ice cream and coconut ice cream for myself and my husband, but we do eat cheese in small amounts here and there in a dinner. I do not care for many of the cheese alternatives I`ve tried. One that I do like in a grilled cheese sandwich has casin (?) in it and from what I understand that is ultimately what should be avoided. So, we`re doing alright so far. I actually feel better/less stressed now that I`ve relaxed a little bit. I think I had a bit of a new Mom panic when it came time to feed my child solid foods. I just want him to be a good eater and a healthy little guy!

Quoting rkoloms:

There are two great books (with differing philosphies) on feeding little ones: Super Baby Food and Baby Led Weaning, you should be able to find both at your local library.

There is also a ton of great nutritional information gathered here http://www.vegkitchen.com/ (even if you are not a veg-head)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN