Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I could use some grocery saving advice

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2011 at 3:41 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 343 Total Views

Alright ladies, I'm in need of some grocery saving advice.

I have a healthy little family of 3, none of us are allergic to anything, and my daughter (3 and a half) and I are vegetarians (though I try to lean to the vegan side, though I'm just learning)

My S/O is not a vegetarian but he is picky, and hates red meat (other than ground burger) and fish and poultry (other than ground turkey)

We're currently spending about $200.00 every two weeks on groceries, when I try very hard its more like $185.00 but we often run out of food before the next shopping trip when that occurs. We definitely need to cut down our food expenses, but I'm truly finding it difficult to do with out totally skimping on nutrition. Any tips for me?

For those of you who would find more info useful, here is our 2 weeks of average meals:

Breakfasts- Oatmeal + Berries + Juice (2 days) Pancakes + Juice or Milk (2 days)

Cereal + Fruit+ Juice (4 days) Noodles in broth + Small Snack Tray (2 days)

Finger food tray of stray healthy items (berries, nuts, cereals, veggies, cheese, etc.) (2 days)

Lunches/dinners (switch-able) - Soy chicken strips and rice + Shredded carrots (4 days)

Rice vegetable soup (4 days) Pasta soup + Veggie Dogs (1 day)

Pasta tossed in butter and Seasonings + Green beans + Soy Sausage (2 days)

Vegetarian Tacos + Milk for the little one Veggie Nuggets + Mac n Cheese (2 days)

Spaghetti + Veggie meat balls (1 day) Breakfast items for dinner (1 day)

We don't eat out, nor do we eat anything extravagant. This list isnt the very healthiest but I can't seem to bring myself to cut it down even more...Thanks for any idea or advice sent my way!

by on Oct. 5, 2011 at 3:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
rkoloms
by on Oct. 10, 2011 at 6:15 AM
1 mom liked this

there are three of us, plus frequent extra teens. We spend 80-90 a week on groceries.

Here are my best tips for saving at the grocery store:

Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home

This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic. 

¼ cup white vinegar

¾ cup warm tap water

1 tablespoon baking soda

10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)

2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

You can save using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelettes with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie(you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.

Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons, eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry). Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money, they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

JeffersonMom
by Member on Nov. 11, 2011 at 3:16 PM

be sure to be flexable.  our menu changes with the seasons and with what is on sale and/or what i have coupons for.  today we had potato soup (vegitaritan, not vegan) and hummus sandwiches for lunch.  another cheap meal is bean burritos (a fav of my 5 yr olds)

Clubpenguin
by New Member on Nov. 11, 2011 at 3:21 PM
Quoting JeffersonMom:

be sure to be flexable.  our menu changes with the seasons and with what is on sale and/or what i have coupons for.  today we had potato soup (vegitaritan, not vegan) and hummus sandwiches for lunch.  another cheap meal is bean burritos (a fav of my 5 yr olds)

Hello I was reading your post and your ideas sound great. I would love some of your recipes. Thank you.
JeffersonMom
by Member on Nov. 12, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Quoting Clubpenguin:

Quoting JeffersonMom:

Hello I was reading your post and your ideas sound great. I would love some of your recipes. Thank you

any paticular types of recipies?

Clubpenguin
by New Member on Nov. 12, 2011 at 7:47 PM
Quoting JeffersonMom:

Easy or not very hard
Baci3000
by New Member on Nov. 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM

BUMP!

JeffersonMom
by Member on Nov. 15, 2011 at 8:08 AM

bean burrito's

1 can refried beans

1 can tom's with chili's, drained

1 pack  totilla's

optional enchilada sauce and shredd cheese

mix beans and tomatoes.  heat tortillas for 10 sec in microwave, then fill with bean mixture and roll up.

either searve as is or put in a pan and top with enchillada sauce and cheese.  bake until heated thru.

JeffersonMom
by Member on Nov. 15, 2011 at 8:15 AM

we're having this for lunch today.  in the past, i've doubled the recipie to have extra's for lunches.

slow cooker tortellini

4 med peppers, assorted colors, cut in bite sized strips

2 14.5 ox cans diced tom with basil, garlic, oregano, undrained

1 15oz tom sauce

1/4 to 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper

9 oz package refrige. tortellini

1) in slow cooker combine everything, except tortellini.  cover and cook on low 6-8 hrs or high 3-4 hrs.

2) if using low setting, change to high setting.  stir in tortellini.  cover and cook about 30min, or until tortellini is tender.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)