Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Protein Ideas for Preschooler

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:15 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 607 Total Views

Hi. I'm Amy and I am new to the group.  I am a SAHM to my four year old son.  My husband and I are not vegetarian, but our son is.  We introduced meat to him at two and he didn't like it.  He did like bacon, sausage, and sometimes chicken.  That has all dwindled. He is now four and adamantly states he does not like meat. It does not bother either of us all.  It is his choice, I would like  some ideas for protein for him.

I know that he gets some protein from his peanut butter and honey sandwiches, from cheese, and from beans (he loves anything made with beans).  He used to eat tofu, but now he won't.  He drinks soy milk, but no more tofu.  He does eat nuts, but not very often. Anyway, I am looking for things that I can serve with our meals.  I do not make a separate meal for him.  He gets all of the sides we eat and I do put the meat on his plate if it is something I think he might eat. 

Thanks!

Are you done with one?  Is your one a boy?  Want to chat with other Moms who are raising the only boy?  Then join my new group Raising the Only Boy.  Raising the Only Boy - CafeMom

Check out my etsy shop for hand knit Christmas Tree hats, dragon scarves, flower caps, and soon cupcake hats  http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6060687  

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LAFrame
by New Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:21 PM

if he loves beans, eats peanut butter & sometimes other nuts, & soy milk he is probably getting enough protein, you body uses plant proteins better then it does animal ones so you don't usually need quit as much either. but you can always measure his serving sizes & compare it with the nutrition labels for a couple of days to see how much he is actually getting. 

aaliyahmom
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2009 at 2:23 PM

I agree; the beans and cheeses and milk should be enough protein. I think its great your not forcing meat on him. I am not a full veggie either

julvan2003
by New Member on Feb. 2, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Cottage Cheese is VERY high in protein (I think about 15 grams) and you can get low fat which has about 2 grams of fat.  You could add some fruit to make it more exciting.  Will he eat fish? I do believe that rice has protein too.  Meat has all of the different type of proteins that your body needs, however, most other foods with protein have most but not all types so be sure to combine them.

Here is some information that I found online:

• Egg, large - 6 grams protein
  • Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
  • Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
  • Yogurt, 1 cup - usually 8-12 grams, check label
  • Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) - 6 grams per oz
  • Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) - 7 or 8 grams per oz
  • Hard cheeses (Parmesan) - 10 grams per oz

Beans (including soy)

• Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
  • Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
  • Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
  • Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
  • Soy beans, ½ cup cooked - 14 grams protein
  • Split peas, ½ cup cooked - 8 grams

Nuts and Seeds

• Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
  • Almonds, ¼ cup - 8 grams
  • Peanuts, ¼ cup - 9 grams
  • Cashews, ¼ cup - 5 grams
  • Pecans, ¼ cup - 2.5 grams
  • Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup - 6 grams
  • Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup - 19 grams
  • Flax seeds - ¼ cup - 8 grams

How Much Protein Do You Need?

High Protein Foods Low in Saturated Fat
- Find out which cuts of beef are lowest in fat

Vegetarian? Find out about getting enough protein using these Low-Carb Vegetarian Resources

Email This Resource to a Friend

Advertisement

campeno
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2010 at 12:14 PM

I am late reading this, lol, but my latest protein discovery has been Kefir. My kids loooove milk, yogurt, cheese, etc. so this is super yummy for them and FULL of protein! I buy the plain kefir and add berries and other fruits, flax, and wheat germ to create a really awesome smoothie that the kids beg for. I cringe when my MIL gives my kids those nasty drinkable yogurts now!

Greek yogurt is another awesome discovery. Again, full of protein regular yogurts don't have.

I also incorporate beans and nut butters as much as I can. I also do Almond milk instead of Soy milk.  Nuts are great and my kids love to make trail mix with them:) HTH!

callansmomma
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2010 at 4:31 PM

We've tried it.  For awhile he liked the ProBugs by Kefir, but then he decided he didn't like it. He won't drink it.  He loves the Stonyfield Farms yogurt tubes though.  Also, Yoplait has a new version of GoGurt and it has no  dyes or HFCS.  He seems to like those. 

Quoting campeno:

I am late reading this, lol, but my latest protein discovery has been Kefir. My kids loooove milk, yogurt, cheese, etc. so this is super yummy for them and FULL of protein! I buy the plain kefir and add berries and other fruits, flax, and wheat germ to create a really awesome smoothie that the kids beg for. I cringe when my MIL gives my kids those nasty drinkable yogurts now!

Greek yogurt is another awesome discovery. Again, full of protein regular yogurts don't have.

I also incorporate beans and nut butters as much as I can. I also do Almond milk instead of Soy milk.  Nuts are great and my kids love to make trail mix with them:) HTH!

Are you done with one?  Is your one a boy?  Want to chat with other Moms who are raising the only boy?  Then check out the group  Raising the Only Boy - CafeMom

Please ask me about car seats and how your child can be safer in one.  I am now a CPS Tech (car seat tech).

rkoloms
by on Mar. 24, 2010 at 6:44 AM

Lentils! Loaded with protein, iron, fiber, etc.

Here are some of our favorite ways to eat lentils:

LENTIL TACOS
Ingredients
1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
8 ounce can tomato sauce (or homemade)
corn tortillas (for fun, use a mix of white, yellow and blue)
1 packet dry taco seasoning mix (or make your own with the recipe below)
handful of textured soy protein, optional (I leave this out)
lettuce (shredded)
cucumber (seeded, peeled, sliced)
tomatoes (chopped)
lemon or lime wedges (optional)
Directions
Cover the lentils with water in a large saucepan. They expand tremendously so use a large pot. Add tomato sauce, textured soy protein, and taco seasoning. Bring to high heat until boiling. Simmer at low heat until the mixture thickens. Add more water if necessary and stir often so that the bottom does not burn. This process will take about an hour. You want to cook it until it's about the consistency of cooked oatmeal. Taste the mixture and add more seasonings if necessary. Add more textured soy protein if you want more texture and continue to heat until the textured soy protein is fully hydrated. In the meantime, heat the corn tortillas in the oven, directly on the oven rack for about 5 minutes at 350 degrees.
Assemble the tacos as desired. Squeeze the lemon wedges over the tacos... yum!!
This recipe makes a large quantity and is very flexible with the garnishes. Experiment by adding chopped avocado, cilantro, onion, etc. I prefer these without salsa since the taco filling has so much flavor on its own. Enjoy!!
Taco Seasoning:
4.5 tsp. paprika;
1 tsp. cumin powder;
0.5 tsp. oregano;
1 tsp. chili powder;
1 tsp. onion powder;
0.25 tsp. lemon powder (optional, I've never used it);
1 tsp. salt;
1 tsp. sugar;
0.5 tsp. garlic powder;
1 tsp. flour;
0.5 tsp. cocoa powder
Mix all together and store in airtight container. Makes approx. 4 tablespoonful - the equivalent of 1 package of seasoning (enough to season 1 pound of meat or a substitute). This mix is very mild, I add cayenne

Snobby Joes (from Veganomicon)
1 cup uncooked lentils
4 cups water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced small
1 green pepper, diced small
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 - 3 Tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon salt
8 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon yellow mustard (wet mustard)
4 to 6 whole wheat buns
 Put the lentils in a small sauce pot and pour in 4 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until lentils are soft. Drain and set aside. About 10 minutes before the lentils are done boiling, preheat a medium soup pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion and pepper in the oil for about 7 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and sauté a minute more. Add the cooked lentils, the chili powder, oregano and salt and mix. Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes. Add the maple syrup and mustard and heat through. Turn the heat off and let sit for about 10 minutes, so that the flavors can meld

Lentil Soup - This is the recipe I start with. I add some diced mushrooms, shredded zucchini, chopped cauliflower, whatever is around; I use all broth and no water

2 cups lentils, sorted and rinsed
4 cups water
4 cups vegetable broth or water
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 clove garlic, minced
3 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1 (16 oz) can tomatoes and their juice, cup up
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)
1 cup uncooked very small whole wheat pasta such as ditalini or elbows (optional)
parmesan cheese (to serve)
Place lentils in large soup pot with water, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, parsley, pepper, oregano. Cover pan and simmer 1 hour.
NOTE: make sure that the lentils are completely cooked before adding salt or acid.
Add tomatoes and their juice, salt and vinegar. Simmer 30 minutes longer, adding 1 cup uncooked very small pasta (such as ditalini or elbows) if desired.
I also add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.
Serve with more vinegar and parmesan cheese.

Robin in Chicago

piercedNproud
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:49 AM

My girls love soy foods.Morning Star Farms is our fave.They have veg. chicken beef etc

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)