Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Got any good recipes?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:48 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 785 Total Views

So I'm not a vegatarian, but I don't like meats that much.  I guess it's really hard in a carnavore society to totally do away with meats.  But, like I said I don't care much for the meats.  Give me veggies and carbs any day.  What I need though, are some good vegetarian recipes.  I made some red beans and rice, salad, and cooked aspargus, and my DH wasn't completely thrilled w/ the lack of meat.  But, if I provide a good hearty dish, I think he'll like it a lot better.  We already don't eat pork, so there's a start. 

So, I need some good recipes if you don't mind sharing.  Also, some ways to use tofu.  I've eaten tofu in salads, but I need some ways to use tofu in recipes. TIA.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
JeffersonMom
by Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:42 PM

yeah, it took a while to convince my husband, too.  Some nice hardy dishes include spinach lasagna and chili.  What I did is made some of my meals with meat on the side.  Such as Fajitas and stir fry.  It took a while, but now he really only eats meat when we go out.  As for a recipe, here's what we had today.

Grilled Cheese and Onion Sandwhich

carmilize on vadalia onion (sliced).  after it is cooked, make a glaze by putting a little butter and brown sugar in the pan and coat the onions.

Use rye bread.  spread with spicy mustard.  use either mozzarella or munster cheese (the original recipe calls for munster, I like mozzarella better).  add onions to sandwich.  spread outside of bread with butter.  Cook in frying pan or grill pan.

Searve with soup.

rkoloms
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 10:57 AM

I have a ton of recipes! If you let me know what types of meals your family enjoys, I can post veg versions.

Here are some standards at our house:

I serve this it over broccoli (and I make double the sauce).

Pasta and Tofu with Finger-Licking Peanut Sauce
1/2 cup low or no sodium vegetable broth
1/4 cup chunky peanut butter (I use smooth)
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
2 teaspoons chile paste with garlic (add to taste, it is pretty spicey)
4 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces uncooked whole wheat angel hair
1 pound firm tofu, drained and cubed (optional)
1 cup (2-inch) sliced green onions
1 cup shredded carrot
Combine first 8 ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until smooth, stirring frequently (this can also be done in the microwave; use a tempered glass bowl, like pyrex, cook for 20 seconds, stir, repeat until smooth). Remove from heat. Cook pasta in boiling water 8 minutes, omitting salt and fat. Add tofu, onions, and carrot; drain. Place pasta mixture in a large bowl. Add peanut butter mixture; toss gently.

Mushroom Stroganoff, is a great, speedy weeknight dinner, especially if you cook the noodles the night before (I use whole wheat egg noodles or bowties)

1 lb portabello mushrooms (either the large or baby bellas), cut in half and sliced
1/2 onion, diced
1 - 1 1/2 c sour cream (I use fat free plain Greek yogurt)
1/2 - 1 Tbsp Hungarian Paprika
salt & pepper to taste
olive oil or butter (I use some of each)
1/8 cup (or so) vegetable broth or dry white wine (optional, not part of the original recipe; I think that it gives it some depth)
Saute diced onions in olive oil or butter (your preference) until just soft and translucent. Add sliced mushrooms, saute until cooked through. Add broth/wine paprika and incorporate well. Turn down heat and add sour cream. Heat through, add salt & pepper to taste. Add more sour cream if the 1 cup doesn't cover everything well. Serve on top of egg noodles or rice. Once I made this and I didn't have enough sour cream, so I added cream cheese and it was still very good! Mushrooms are a great source of protein as well as many other nutrients.
http://www.mushroomcouncil.com/nutrition/nutri.html

Sweet Potato Burritos
3 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups canned kidney beans, drained (I use home cooked black beans; you can use any bean)
2 cups water
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
4 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
12 whole wheat tortillas, warmed
shredded cheese (whatever you have)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a medium skillet, and saute onion and garlic in until soft. Stir in beans, and mash. Gradually stir in water, and heat until warm. Remove from heat,
and stir in the chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper and soy sauce. Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly between the warm flour tortillas. Top with cheese. Fold up tortillas burrito style. Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, and serve. NOTE: I put the cheese inside and freeze burritos wrapped in wax paper in a big zipper bag; they can be microwaved safely in the wax paper.

Southwest Falafel

Patties
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans (drained and rinsed) (any bean, canned or 1.5 cups home cooked)
1/2 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
1/4 cup finely crushed baked tortilla chips
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1 large egg white
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
Spread - I don't use this part; I mash an avocado with salsa and fat free yogurt (Greek-style is best)
1/4 cup mashed peeled avocado
2 tablespoons finely chopped plum tomato
1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 (6 inch) pita's, each cut in half crosswise - I use 4 whole wheat tortillas
To prepare patties, place pinto beans in a medium bowl; partially mash with a fork. Add cheese and next 5 ingredients (through egg white) stir until well combined. Form into 4 (1/2 inch thick) oval patties.
Heat oil in a lg nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties; cook 3 min on each side or until patties are browned and thoroughly heated.
To prepare spread, while patties cook, combine avocado, tomato, red onion, sour cream, lime juice, and salt. Place one patty in each pita half. Spread about 2 tablespoons of spread over patty in each pita half.

Snobby Joes (from Veganomicon)
1 cup uncooked lentils
4 cups water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced small
1 green pepper, diced small
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 - 3 Tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon salt
8 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon yellow mustard (wet mustard)
4 to 6 whole wheat buns
 Put the lentils in a small sauce pot and pour in 4 cups water. cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until lentils are soft. Drain and set aside. About 10 minutes before the lentils are done boiling, preheat a medium soup pot over medium heat. Saute the onion and pepper in the oil for about 7 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and saute a minute more. Add the cooked lentils, the chili powder, oregano and salt and mix. Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes. Add the maple syrup and mustard and heat through. Turn the heat off and let sit for about 10 minutes, so that the flavors can meld, or go ahead and eat immediately if you can't wait.

Robin in Chicago

elliesmommy404
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Mmm, so many yummy dishes you've provided me with.  Thank you very much.  I'm excited to try out some of them. 

Arianas_mommy09
by New Member on Nov. 23, 2010 at 11:07 AM

OH i just LOVE how simple and tasty grilled cheese with caramelized onion is! i think this is what im going to have for lunch! LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)