Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bases?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:16 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 614 Total Views
where have you or your spouses been stationed at, and your experience with other bases?

feel free to share.

~Group Owner of Fort Campbell Mommies~
*Daniela*
http://www.cafemom.com/group/14603
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TJ_Jasons_mummy
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Ft Bliss TX
We got suck in an ADA BDE as FA which sucked. They hadnt use my husbands MOS since Vietnam so he was the tea boy.

Ft Bliss was pretty picky about housing. We were try when the Army dealt with housing. We had a nice 2 bedroom with garage and brick wall for the back yard.

El Paso is a fair size. Has a few shopping malls

Baumholder Germany

I loved the post and units. Very friendly and very helpful. Best FRG ever.

Housing were apartments. They were pretty big.

There was alot to do in germany

Ft Gordon GA

Ft Gordon Sucked as apost
Augusta as a town was great.
They had a great childrens hospital. I had Jay there. We got get care.

Ft Campbell, Ky

Well house is nice. I love the schools for the boys. Cant wait to leave

BayandMadsmom
by Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 9:46 AM

We have been to 3 different bases...

1.  Ft Polk, LA  I hated it, there is NOTHING good to say about the place.  Not even visiting other cities...I didn't like New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Houston...I guess I just don't like the "deep" south :)  Not my cup of tea...

2.  Ft Bragg, NC  I actually really liked this place...we did alot of traveling then, no kids at the time.  I love the state of NC...could have done without some of the places around Bragg and Fayetteville, but all in all, I would move back there if we had too :)

3.  Ft Campbell, KY  I like it here...we've been here now for a little over 6 years and we will more than likely retire from here...not retire here, but from here :)  I wouldn't want to live here forever, but it is good enough for us.  We like my daughter's school, we like our house...just wish we had more trees :)  We love my other daughter's preschool and I like visiting Nashville and the mountains of TN whenever we can!!  All in all...not bad :)

danielleMom
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 10:44 AM
Quoting TJ_Jasons_mummy:

Ft Bliss TX
We got suck in an ADA BDE as FA which sucked. They hadnt use my husbands MOS since Vietnam so he was the tea boy.

Ft Bliss was pretty picky about housing. We were try when the Army dealt with housing. We had a nice 2 bedroom with garage and brick wall for the back yard.

El Paso is a fair size. Has a few shopping malls

Baumholder Germany

I loved the post and units. Very friendly and very helpful. Best FRG ever.

Housing were apartments. They were pretty big.

There was alot to do in germany

Ft Gordon GA

Ft Gordon Sucked as apost
Augusta as a town was great.
They had a great childrens hospital. I had Jay there. We got get care.

Ft Campbell, Ky

Well house is nice. I love the schools for the boys. Cant wait to leave

lol that is alot of bases :) thank you for sharing, I want to go to germany next!
~Group Owner of Fort Campbell Mommies~
*Daniela*
http://www.cafemom.com/group/14603
thewrightmommy
by New Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 11:11 AM

We came down on orders for Germany but they got canceled due to Deployment in April this is our first base together we met here. We don't live on base and i regret that because i have been here since may and don't have any close friends at Ft. Campbell. Where ever we go after this deployment we will at least start out in housing so i can have a chance of friendship.

But if you are looking for something fun for the kids to do check out Jump Zone its over off of Wilma Rudolf and in the day hours its younger kids but at night it is crawling with schoolage  kids so if you have young children make it a daytime thing its very affordable too. Also in the summer time there is a great children's water park in Hopkinsville its about 10 min past post. It is a lot of fun!

mamaboys0207
by Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Growing up in a Navy/Marine family, I have been to the following:

Ft. Meade, MD

NSGA Northwest, VA

NGSLAK South Korea

Goodfellow AFB, TX

Kunia, HI

Then, I married my DH in HI. He was a Marine but he is army now, so here are the places that we have been

Kaneohe MCBH, HI

Fort Leonardwood, MI

Camp Stanley, South Korea

Fort Lewis, WA

Fort Campbell, KY

So ya, in the four year, 3 mths, and 21 days that we have been married, we have moved 7 times between pcsing and deployments. Fun.

amyltb
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Being army born and raised I have been to: Ft William Beaumont, TX ( the medical center attached to Ft Bliss TX is it's own base), Ft Hood TX, Ft Devens Mass, Ft Drum NY, Hakata Air Force Base in Japan, 19th St naval Base San Diego CA, Presidio CA, Ft Sam Houston TX, and Ft Dix NJ.  I suppose I am showing my age as some of these bases have since been closed down!!!

TJ_Jasons_mummy
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Quoting amyltb:

Being army born and raised I have been to: Ft William Beaumont, TX ( the medical center attached to Ft Bliss TX is it's own base), Ft Hood TX, Ft Devens Mass, Ft Drum NY, Hakata Air Force Base in Japan, 19th St naval Base San Diego CA, Presidio CA, Ft Sam Houston TX, and Ft Dix NJ.  I suppose I am showing my age as some of these bases have since been closed down!!!

I like William Beaumont.  My FIL was station there in the 60's/70's.

an-angles-mom
by Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 2:27 PM

to many places to count and most have changed over the years. born and raised military married into it.. I have family and friends all over the place and in each of the services so been every where you can say and like my dad has said you get out of a place what you put into it.. each base has its good and bad its how you make it work for you that makes it great or good... bad or worse place you have been... to me I dont like the middle of no where post if I have to travel to have fun or get the kids to have fun then its not for us.....

we are from tx so any post that is in the south is good .. hate the cold states.. when its srping time I want it to be spring not snowy... here is good but the weather sucks my kids never had a snow bday in their lives till when we got here party plans had to be changed it sucked so cant wait to get back to a place where winter is short and summer is long...

sherry132
by on Feb. 8, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Ft Belvoir, I do not recommend that one.

Ft. Hood, I loved, but then I love Texas.

Ft. Sill Oklahoma, by far my favorite post. Of course it's also home for me.

Ft Campbell, which we honestly hate with passion. I want out of here. I don't even care anymore where they send us. That might be rough, but if someone tells me "there's the army way and the Ft Campbell way" One more time, you're gonna see me screaming through the streets. Okay not the post for my view points. Sorry.

I was stationed (a million years ago.)

Ft. Drum  Hated it, hated it, hated it.

Ft. Polk - I actually liked this post. Most people don't buy if you pay attention, I prefer places where the traffic and people do not suffocate me.

AngelWitch
by Member on Feb. 11, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Ft Campbell is my first post but that because I have only been married to the hubby for 3 yrs and we were married in Clarksville. But now we will be moving this weekend to Williamsburg VA he is being PCS'd to FT LEE. Yeah he has a hr drive to and from work but it was his choice lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)