Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoption Reunion Books

Posted by on May. 23, 2008 at 10:37 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 913 Total Views
Hi ~ I found a few books that may be able to lend some insight and support with adoption reunions.
I am new to the group and am an adoptee reunited a year ago with my birth~mom and 2 older brothers and one older sister~ The experience has been a good one. I am thankful my birth sister searched for me and they all are in my life. 
My adoptive family~my family ~ is so loving and supportive ~ I am blessed. I look forward to meeting you all~ 

Adoption Reunions, Michelle Mc Colm
Giving Away Simone, Jan Waldron
Birthright, Jean Strauss

Happy reading !

Hannah
Owner Mom's Touched by Adoption http://www.cafemom.com/group/touchedbyadoption
by on May. 23, 2008 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boofer
by Member on May. 24, 2008 at 9:12 AM
The one I am reading right now is:  The Adoption Reunion Survival Guideby Julie Jarrell Bailey and Lynn N. Giddens

The other one I have is The Primal Wound: Understanding the Adopted Child by Nancy Newton Verrier.  I have not read this one yet but am told by numerous professionals that it is very good.

Lisa

Mother of 3, raised 2

My son was placed for adoption 18 years ago.

I gave up my right to parent him; I kept my right to love him!

Recently reunited with my son.  Now, my life is complete.

Gracie06
by on May. 24, 2008 at 1:12 PM
Here is another 2 book s~

Birth Bond: Reunions Between Birthparents & Adoptees, Judith Geidman and Linda Brown

Synchronicity & Reunion, LaVonne Stiffler

Hannah
Owner Mom's Touched by Adoption http://www.cafemom.com/group/touchedbyadoption
WISCONSON3
by on Sep. 14, 2008 at 11:15 PM

HELLO GRACIE, DOES THE GROUP HAVE A MASTER LIST OF ADOPTION BOOKS??  MY BEST  TO ALL .angel miniMLOU

WISCONSON3

Gracie06
by on Sep. 15, 2008 at 7:56 AM

no master list ...But we are working on it. any suggestions for good books??

Hannah

smileywoman
by New Member on Sep. 22, 2008 at 9:36 AM

I created a list of books based on customer review's at Amazon.com. The first book I decided to read is "Birthright: The Guide to search and reunion for adoptees, birthparents, and adoptive parents." You can read the reviews for any and all the books at amazon.com, search "adoption reunion."

Adoption Healing... A Path to Recovery for Mothers Who Lost Children to Adoption by Joe Soll and Karen Wilson Buterbaugh (Paperback - Aug 2003)

Whose Child? : An Adoptee's Healing Journey from Relinquishment through Reunion ... and Beyond by Kasey Hamner (Paperback - Jun 1, 2000)

The Same Smile: The Triumph of a Mother's Love After Losing Two Daughters by Susan Mello Souza; Joanne Medeiros Harrington (Paperback - Nov 1, 2002)

The Family of Adoption: Completely Revised and Updated by Joyce Maguire Pavao (Paperback - Feb 20, 2005)

A Wealth of Family: An Adopted Son's International Quest for Heritage, Reunion, and Enrichment (Family Success) by Thomas Brooks (Paperback - Aug 1, 2006)

Birthright: The Guide to Search and Reunion for Adoptees, Birthparents, and Adoptive... by Jean A. S. Strauss (Paperback - Jun 1, 1994)

Swimming Up the Sun: A Memoir of Adoption by Nicole J Burton (Paperback - Mar 7, 2008)

Telling the Truth to Your Adopted or Foster Child: Making Sense of the Past by Betsy Keefer, Jayne E. Schooler, Jayne Schooler, and Betsy E. Keefer (Paperback - Jul 30, 2000)

Sacred Connections: Stories Of Adoption by Ann Koenig and Niki Berg (Hardcover - Feb 27, 2001)

Born in Our Hearts: Stories of Adoption by Filis Casey and Marisa Catalina Casey (Paperback - Jun 15, 2004)

Adopting and Advocating for the Special Needs Child by L. Anne Babb and Rita Laws (Hardcover - May 30, 1997)

The Adoption Reader: Birth Mothers, Adoptive Mothers, and Adopted Daughters Tell Their Stories by Wadia-Ells (Paperback - Sep 7, 1995)

Adoption Wisdom: A Guide to the Issues and Feelings of Adoption by Marlou Russell (Paperback - May 1996)

Twice Born: Memoirs of an Adopted Daughter by Betty Jean Lifton (Paperback - April 15, 1998)

Answers in Abundance: A Miraculous Adoption Journey as Told from a Father's Heart by Elliott Anderson (Paperback - Jun 1, 2007)

Chicken Soup for the Adopted Soul: Stories Celebrating Forever Families (Chicken Soup for the Soul) by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, and LeAnn Thieman L.P.N. (Paperback - Jan 22, 2008)

For Love Of A Child: Stories Of Adoption by Lisa Meadows Garfield (Paperback - Mar 2005)

Adoptees Come of Age: Living Within Two Families (Counseling and Pastoral Theology) by Ronald J. Nydam (Paperback - Oct 1999)

Butterflies in the Wind: The Truth about Latin American Adoptions by Jean N Erichsen (Paperback - Aug 17, 2004)

Search for Paul David by Pauline A. Evans (Paperback - Dec 1994)

Making Room in Our Hearts: Keeping Family Ties Through Open Adoption by Micky Duxbury (Paperback - Oct 23, 2006)

Stories of Adoption: Loss and Reunion (Family & Childcare) by Eric Blau (Paperback - Feb 14, 1994)

Following the Tambourine Man: A Birthmother's Memoir (Writing American Women) by Janet Mason Ellerby (Hardcover - Sep 30, 2007)

A Good Likeness: A Personal Story of Adoption by Paul Arnott (Paperback - Nov 1, 2001)

Like Our Very Own: Adoption and the Changing Culture of Motherhood, 1851-1950 by Julie Berebitsky (Hardcover - Jan 20, 2001)

Mother Figure to many:

2 natural:  raised 1, placed 1

Step-mom to 5 (now grown)

Step-grandma to 8 (2-11 yrs)

orangeorbie
by Member on Sep. 23, 2008 at 11:05 PM

Whoa!  Thank you for that giant list of books.  I've read some of them but am keeping a document on my computer with a list of books and I keep adding to it so that I can read them all by the time I meet my daughter. 

I am considering writing a book with my daughter's father because I think there aren't enough natural parent stories and the few books I did find really helped me before I found CafeMom. 

Florence3
by New Member on Sep. 24, 2008 at 1:14 PM

I am currently reading "Coming Home to Self: The Adopted Child Grows Up" by Nancy Newton Verrier. She is the author of "The Primal Wound." It is a wonderful book.

dgwt
by New Member on Dec. 3, 2008 at 11:45 PM

I am friends with the lady who wrote The Same Smile, it was such a good read, I read it in 1 day!  She is a lovely woman and it shows in her book......

onethentwins
by Group Owner on Dec. 4, 2008 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting dgwt:

I am friends with the lady who wrote The Same Smile, it was such a good read, I read it in 1 day!  She is a lovely woman and it shows in her book......

Well then. You'll be happy to know she's a member of this group :)

onethentwins
by Group Owner on Apr. 18, 2012 at 1:25 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN