Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

questions

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2009 at 5:01 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 208 Total Views

oh don't you just hate it when you just got finished writing something long and it gets deleted.  so this will probably make me do this shorter.  I am new and have some questions.

Why do i need emboidery thread, why can't i just use the all purpose thread?

I have had the top thread pop twice while i was emboidering something, any idea why that might happen?  also if i retread and continue will that cause a problem?

Where can i go online to get some more free designs.  i'd love some baby or girlie or a new alphabet. 

thanks for reading this and if you were able to answer any of my questions i really appreciate it.  i'm sure i'll be back with more.

by on Mar. 28, 2009 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
FRANCISBEL
by New Member on Mar. 29, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Im not sure but maybe becasue is more strong and different material like polyester...

For a free desing I never get one but go to google pretty sure will find  a lot...Good luck...

http://www.francisbelboutique.com/

FREE SHIPPING CHARGE IN USA.

hogfan158
by New Member on Mar. 29, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Regular machine thread is very fiberous and can cause excessive lint build up and damage to your embroidery machine .Haven't you ever noticed how you have to wet the end of the thread just to lay the fibers down to thread the needle. Emboirdery thread is finer and smoother and will produce a much pretty design and it is really stronger to boot if you buy the poly threads  Your machine must not like your thread and yes all machines are as picky as cats!

Coats and Clark has got to be the worst at breaking in embroidery machines they are really made for embrodery on your regular machines. I have tried a lot of thread over the past several years and yes you can get some really good threads out there and pay ALOT for them but if want a good thread with great color and shine for a even better price, try metro thread at .75 for 1000m it is cheaper than sewing thread and my machine and a ton of others in my sewforum group will agree.

http://www.metroem.net/

Kathy Wiseman
lmeyer7716
by New Member on Mar. 30, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Quoting hogfan158:

Regular machine thread is very fiberous and can cause excessive lint build up and damage to your embroidery machine .Haven't you ever noticed how you have to wet the end of the thread just to lay the fibers down to thread the needle. Emboirdery thread is finer and smoother and will produce a much pretty design and it is really stronger to boot if you buy the poly threads  Your machine must not like your thread and yes all machines are as picky as cats!

Coats and Clark has got to be the worst at breaking in embroidery machines they are really made for embrodery on your regular machines. I have tried a lot of thread over the past several years and yes you can get some really good threads out there and pay ALOT for them but if want a good thread with great color and shine for a even better price, try metro thread at .75 for 1000m it is cheaper than sewing thread and my machine and a ton of others in my sewforum group will agree.

http://www.metroem.net/

thanks for the info.

annebeckett
by Member on Mar. 31, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Yes, embroidery thread is a differnt weight and a tighter AND smoother twist... you will have more problems with a "usual" thread or "all-purpose" thread as it will create more lint in your machine and it will break much more easily.

I know that embroidery thread is more expensive than usual thread but it is worth the couple of dollars.  Also, some threads (I prefer Madeira rayon;/cotton) just have a much nicer sheen that most threads do not have.

Your machine is set-up to run a certain twist, tencel strength, and weight.  If you run something else, you will end up with something of inferior quality.  Now, if the design is only for you, do what you want.  But, if you are selling this, I would ALWAYS go with embroidery thread.  Using what you are, you will have to re-thread and clean your machine a lot more often than when using embroidery twists.  It probably won't damage your machine, but will be more of a pain...

Oh, and yes, you can get some free designs (from many places) but, in my opinion (as a pro-digitizer), I feel that you get what you pay for.  Personally, I do not use any "stock" (or free or cheap) designs, as I have tried and end up having to edit them so much I am better off doing the design from start, every time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)