Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where is Fly lady or peter Walsh when I need them?????

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:11 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 403 Total Views

Ugh!  I have a mess to clean up in my boys' room that I have been using half for a storage room.  Now I need to get it totally cleaned out and move my 2 yr old son in. 

S/O has a small house that is crammed with all of his stuff- He is a worse pack rat than I am.  I am bad but I am trying to let go of stuff.

I moved to his house three yrs ago and still trying to get out of boxes.  I know - you haven't used it in 6 mos or so get rid of it without looking.  But since I threw everything in boxes when I moved -- there is tons of stuff that I just might "need." 

I know what I gotta do- just wish I had some help from the pros

las_wisc aka Goofy gal

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
wilswife
by Member on Dec. 19, 2009 at 7:03 PM

LOL,  good luck,  just set lil goals at a time, instead of tackling a whole room,  say 5-10 boxes a day,  if you set smaller/doable goals you wont feel overwhelmed and before you know it, you'll be done :)   good luck. 

FriendOfFlyLady
by New Member on Dec. 19, 2009 at 7:18 PM

FlyLady or Peter Walsh cannot sort your boxes out.  Only you can do that.

Can you rent or buy a storeage shed and put it in there?  That will get the boxes out of the immediate area.  Then spend 15 or 20 minutes (one box a day) sorting it out.  You will make yourself crazy if you try to do it all at once.

SomebodyElse
by New Member on Jan. 8, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Quoting FriendOfFlyLady:

Can you rent or buy a storeage shed and put it in there?  That will get the boxes out of the immediate area.  Then spend 15 or 20 minutes (one box a day) sorting it out.  You will make yourself crazy if you try to do it all at once.

I'm in love with Peter Walsh. I'd trade my husband in for him in a minute. :-)

I suggest taking a laundry basket, going into the room and filling it  - just GRAB - then take that basket someplace that's NOT cluttered. Try to get through that basket by putting it away, or getting rid of it. If you do one basket per day, you may find you gain momentum and can start pulling out one BOX a day. Once you see some progress, it won't seem so daunting!

GOod luck! We're 1 year here, and I'm finally getting my few remaining boxes undone!

mnms0802
by Member on Jan. 21, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Quoting FriendOfFlyLady:

I like the idea of one box a day. I am also going thru quite a bit myself. My mother passed away, I inherited her home, and all of it's contents, plus I have my own stuff. She died in 2007. I am STILL going through her belongings! I have had 4 dumpsters, 2 pick ups from (800)got-junk and various charitable donations, and lined trash up in front of the street AFTER the 4 dumpsters. The town came and yelled at me, told me to get a dumpster, I told them I have had 4. They were speechless! lol  So I feel your pain. My mom threw nothing away! And I had pretty much the same problem. But over the past few years, I have let go of quite a bit. As I stated above, i think the 1 box a day is a good goal to start with. You can make piles, keep, give away, or trash. The storage shed? I wasn't so fond of that idea, because you are just putting off the enivatable... ya gotta do it. You know the phrase, out of sight, out of mind.... so I did not agree with the storage shed part. If its in your face, its gonna bother you till you finally, eventually get through it. Which is what I am doing, as best as I can... good luck, keep us posted!

Mary H.

Proud USAF Wife of Patrick, Mom to Nicole, Patrick Jr, Thomas and Daniel

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)