• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Organizing my Kitchen and Pantry

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:28 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 373 Total Views

I have just decided to organize my kitchen and pantry. It needs to be done cause I can't find anything and everything is on the counters (and I hate that). Soooo...where do I start? I am overwhelmed - lol! I've googled this and have more ideas....and I know Fly Lady has the answer - but man, she overwhelms me!

First - let me explain my kitchen...It is in a typical (but smaller) high ranch, open floor plan (so I can always see the mess...not cool). It also seems like I have an appliance on every inch of all counters (2 coffee makers, a toaster oven, crock pot - that thing is big and heavy, telephone and the junk that accumulates around it...and a big bread box).

Right now I need to overhaul everything and start over....but then I have the pantry issue...I have pantry items in a large, really hard to get into island cabinet...and it looks more like a black hole....and is not organized and is busting the cabinet door open.

I don't have a pantry and no room (or funds) to buy a pantry cabinet. I also have kept pantry items on a strong shelf in the garage...and everyone (hubby, in-laws) yell at me that it is gonna bring mice into the house.

I have a closet in the hallway - closer to the kitchen that I have used for towels...and kids stuff like arts & crafts. I am thinking of maybe using this for a pantry...but...I need to put towels and the other junk somewhere else (where?).

I am open to any advice except moving to a bigger house....help me please!!!!!!!

by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
michiganmom116
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Canned goods are fine to leave in the garage.  I've yet to meet a mouse that can chew through metal.  If you have to leaved boxed goods in the garage, keep them in a tote with a tight lid.

Go through your pantry items and combine whenever possible ex. 3 partial boxes of elbow macaroni could be combined into one box. 

Designate shelves for certain items.  I have one shelf for cereal & baking items, one shelf for pasta & canned goods, one shelf for rice, dry beans, and canned juices.

If you use that closet, you could move towels into a tote, or stack them neatly in your closet, or even roll them and then stand the rolled towels upright in a square basket in the bathroom. 

debbiea2a
by New Member on May. 3, 2010 at 1:47 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)