Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you get rid of black mold stains from a blanket?**updated

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2008 at 8:01 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 2505 Total Views

I have a much treasured blanket that has somehow gotten some black mold stains on it. Any help in how to get rid of the stains would be very helpful.

Thanks so much ladies for all of your suggestions, I am going to try one or two to get the stains out, they are mostly little small dots. I know I might have to throw it out but I'd like to try to save it first.

by on Jan. 13, 2008 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
hailnbray
by on Jan. 13, 2008 at 8:02 PM
drift. i had a onesie lost in my car once with spit up on it, it was so gross and full of mold just to see how it worked i used a packed of drift i got in the mail and it really really worked

My daughter has autism but she can laugh, cry, and love just like yours. she may never dress herself but she can go to college and become a dr.  she may never make friends her own age but shes my friend for life. and please if u ever get the chance to meet my daughter, stop looking at her like shes a brat, she cant help her stairs or attitudes u can help urs. get to close u might get bit but it wont give u autism. do yourself a favor look it up. 

https://www.autismclinicaltrial.com/index.aspx?bmscontentpg=autism

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/health/2007/12/16/finnstrom.the.autistic.brain.cnn  

abigail0824
by on Jan. 13, 2008 at 9:06 PM
http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/stain-removal/how-to-get-rid-of-mildew-stains

I read on here that mildew/mold stains on clothing/fabric is irreversible.  How bad/big are the spots?  I think I have a couple of ideas if the spots are smaller and sparatic.

~Abigail

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

musicgirl77
by on Jan. 13, 2008 at 9:11 PM
How about that Oxyclean stuff?  It's pretty good for most organic stuff.
Ginny19
by on Jan. 13, 2008 at 9:19 PM
I'd probably try bleach, and if that didn't work, I'd have to get rid of the blanket.  Treasure or not, it's really no good with mold on it.  I would take pictures of it first.  I sold some of my childhood toys on eBay, but took lots of pics first.  Now I have the pics as memories.

Ginny

The Daily Gratitude Journal group owner
 http://www.cafemom.com/group/23791                 

abigail0824
by on Jan. 13, 2008 at 9:24 PM
Found this as well:

Mold is a fungus that thrives on organic matter, and it appears in a wide variety of forms. Some molds are deliberately cultivated, to make cheeses and some antibiotics, for example. Other molds are unwanted and adore food, whether on the counter, inside the fridge, or smeared into carpeting and clothing. Molds are not photosynthetic – in fact, many molds are photosensitive and will die in bright light. Because molds can form in a variety of environments, mold stains, especially on clothing, can pop up with irritating frequency.

Prevention is the first step in dealing with mold stains on clothing. Mold stains form when clothing is splashed with food or allowed to get wet and left somewhere warm and dark. When food spills occur, it is best to clean them immediately and wash the clothing before mold and the resultant mold stains can form. When laundry is done, make sure that all the clothing is completely dry before being folded away. Keep clothing in a well ventilated space, as well.

If mold stains have already set in, there are a number of steps to follow. Ideally, the mold stains should be caught as soon as possible, before the organism has had a chance to dig in. Bring the mold stained clothing outside and brush it out, to prevent spores from spreading around your home. Clothing that has been stored in proximity to the mold stained clothing should also be taken out and aired, and wiping down the shelf, drawer, or closet where the clothing was kept with a mild bleach solution will kill any spores floating in that environment.

The next step is to leave the clothing in the sun to dry out, because heat and sunlight kill many varieties of mold. Hang the clothing from a clothes line so that it remains well ventilated and the sunlight falls evenly across most of the garment. Mold stains will likely still remain, because fungus discolors fabric.

Presoak the mold stains in cold water, and then wash hot or warm with detergent. Check the garment before putting it in the dryer to make sure that the mold stains are gone, and wash it again if necessary. Drying the garment in the sun to kill any remaining spores is advised. If the mold stains persist, blot the area with a mild bleach solution, if possible, and launder it again. For colored fabrics, use a lemon juice and salt solution and rinse with cold water immediately.

~Abigail

abigail0824
by on Jan. 13, 2008 at 9:26 PM
Here's another:

Fill your kitchen sink with cool water and add 2 to 3 cups of hydrogen peroxide. Add the clothes and let them soak at least 30 minutes. Then wash them in the washer using most of the sink water. Don't dry them.

Hang them in the sun to kill anything that may be left. Should do the trick. By the way use peroxide instead of bleach to whiten clothes. Can be used on colored clothes as well.

The Internet is so handy! :o)

~Abigail

emmymom1014
by New Member on Apr. 7, 2008 at 6:01 PM
I would try soaking it in Oxi Clean and hot water for a long long time!  Please let me know what worked, that is an interesting dilemma!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN