Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home from Surgery

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:57 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 238 Total Views

Well, Ladies, here I am home from my total abdominal hysterectomy and bilateral ovary removal. It all went much quicker than I expected. I was admitted on Wednesday and discharged Friday afternoon.  And this was the open abdominal procedure, not even the easier LAVH or vaginal! I expected to go home Sat. I felt a bit apprehensive, but was glad to be back home with my family.  Here's the blow by blow...my surgery took about 2 hours. I had extensive adhesions, so I have a vertical incision that goes from my belly button to the pubic area.  I spent 3 hours in recovery and finally was sent off to a nice private room.  I found the nurses to be rather cold. I'm always looking for a personal connection and I think maybe two out of 6 were okay. Its so difficult for me to ask for things like water, or unplugging a machine to go to the bathroom, etc. Sometimes it seemed like forever before they would get there. The first night in my room I woke up every hour on the hour. I attributed it to too much sleep during the day. Then I was on a wonderful liquid diet (yuk). One of the biggest sensations I had was when the urinary catheter was in...I felt like I had to pee SO bad, even though the thing was working. That went away when it came out. I was also plagued by a LOT of gas pas which I brought in some Mylanta for. What they gave me didn't work. Mylanta worked. Finally, regarding the BM issue, they gave me a suppository 2 days postop, but it minimally worked.  They discharged me because I did have bowel sounds. Indeed, I was able to pass gas on Saturday. I made a mistake today  in taking Ex-Lax though to get my bowel movements going...gave me all sorts of pain and queasiness. Will see if it worked in the morning. The hospital gave me Milk of Magnesia liquid, but it doesn't agree with me (I did tell them that!) So my biggest concerns are a swollen belly, looks like I gained 10-20 lbs., and constipation. Amazingly, no hot flashes or hormonal symptoms yet. I'm not on HRT yet.  I'm getting tired. I'll continue updating another time!

by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
tgp
by Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:58 AM

Glad you are home. Keep resting, it will get better.

cjsix
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:10 AM

I had the exact same thing happen in nov when I had mine.(same kind of incision and removal of all)they also sent me home sooner than we thought(even the nurse didn't know the doctor was going to discharge me!) Any way I'll address only the part you are dealing with...I ended up calling the doctor on call because my stomach was hurting so badly,found out they neglected to tell me to get fiber capsules to take for the first week or so(the pain meds can cause constipation...nice info to leave out huh?)Anyway I looked at what the store had and ended up buying the store brand of fiber pills(not  a laxitive) and after the first or second dose I felt SO much better.Just remember to take them the entire time you're on the pain meds.I hope this helps. God Bless! PM me if you want to talk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)