Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about cancer and desire

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:32 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 208 Total Views

I am curious about 2 issues that I thought someone might be able to help me with. I had my surgery almost 5 years ago. I had my surgery due to endometriosis, a tipped uterus and an abnormal shaped uterus. I had one late (19week) miscarriage and 3 other early miscarriages. I did finally have one complete pregnancy but not without drugs from my doctor and other assistance so when my baby finally came - we felt my surgery was the best option. I did have a surgery right after my first pregnancy for "pre-cancer" cells on my cervic.

1) When the doctor did my surgery - they left my ovaries in place. That decision was mine (against what my doctor said) as I didn't want to be put into menopause at the age of 29 and having the take horomone replacement in entire life - not only for the risks of cancer but also the menopause. My concern with this is "ovarian cancer". I know this is one of the worst cancer and it's already hard to find. They also say the signs are "bleeding", bloating, pain but two of those all the time because I still have my "cycle" because my ovaries are still there. Does anyone else have this situation? I have talked to my doctor and he stated "this type of cancer is very rare but I am so scared because I did have "cancer cells" of my cervix but now that my cerxic is gone...who knows....

Do you think I should contact my doctor about removing my ovaries as it might be problems with my endo doing damage now that nothing is there anymore. I have pain and bloating alot and just don't feel like myself - I just feel like I shouldn't have had to deal with all the problems but maybe that is what I get for leaving my ovaries in place.

2) Since my surgery, I sex drive is no where near what it was before. I can go weeks without any desire at all. Does anyone have to deal with? I don't know why my surgery would have any affect because I left my ovaries but I don't know what else it would be? any advise.

Thanks for any advise

Theresa   
Group Owner: Step-Parents in Wisconsin

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
SeanandNoahsmom
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:10 PM

When I had my hysterectomy, I had cervical cancer, so mine was radical. If you had some malignant lesions on your cervix before, I would not chance leaving your ovaries in, but that is just me.

Now, again; I am taking synthetic hormones at age 40. But I will still share that I have very little, if any, sex drive; and that wasn't the case before my surgery. I look at it as a small price to pay for my life.

nerak64
by Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 8:33 AM

I had my surgery at 43. 2 years ago. I had them remove the ovaries because of fear of getting ovarian cancer. I also chose no hormone treatments at all because 2 of my aunts got breast cancer due to hormone treatments. So I did it all on my own. Not much of a sex drive. But that is OK. I have my life. I had precancerous cells of the cervix. So that decision is totally up to you. Look at the history of your family. No body can help you make that major decision. Good luck to you Karen

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)