Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is For Dinner TONIGHT! July 25th

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:24 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 252 Total Views
So last week spent about 2 hours at the grocery store because I had NOTHING. The other mistake I made was I did NOT make a list. Please people, make a list before you go to the store, not only does it safe time, but you are more likely to save at least 10% if you follow your list. So what is for dinner tonight? Well, it is 5:12 PM Jason is due home at 6. Here is the menu:

Flank Steak - $7.04 for 8 pieces- Flank Steak is the thin cut steak strips (top round is always the best part, bottom round is usually a little cheaper- when shopping for steak you want to make sure that there is plenty of marbling going on, some white (fat) is good and helps with the cooking

The flank steak will be grilled- I am grilling because it is too hot and my husband loves to BBQ- if you can't BBQ outside, the Georg Foreman griller is great, as is a cast iron skillet or other frying pan

Before grilling the flank steak I will be stuffing it with spinach ( NEVER BUY FROZEN UNLESS YOU ARE USING IT FOR DIP)  and Gorgonzola cheese- TASTY!! If you have not had Gorgonzola before TRY IT! It is like blue cheese, but without the bite...especially good melted on fries (not too healthy on fries though)

How do I do it? Well, first I am going to mix the freshly washed and dried spinach (about 1 cup) with a little Olive Oil and 1/2 container of Gorgonzola add a little salt and pepper, then I go to my craft closet...for string of course- you CAN use the fancy shmancy cooking string, but plain old thread works just as well. I cover BOTH sides of steak in olive oil (UNLESS BAKING USE OLIVE OIL FOR EVERYTHING) then layer with spinach mixture- start at one end and roll up- It is best to have string laying underneath the steak before adding mixture- roll steak vertically tie string horizontally. Throw on HOT pan/grill etc, for about 5 minutes each side.

I am serving this with Heirloom Potato Salad that I made last night along with REAL garlic bread...I MUST give you the REAL Garlic Bread recipe...
Get Artisan bread from your bakery, ask them to slice it, they all do for free
Take a little Olive oil and drizzle on the top of the slices of bread, put in 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes, when it comes out take a garlic clove that has been peeled (not chopped) and rub it across and around the bread....this is how the Italians in Italy make Garlic Bread and it is GREAT! NO salt, No powders, just FRESH ingredients! Doesn't your family deserve that?
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Fionasmom629
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:59 PM
I'm so glad that you started this Group!  I love to cook and share recipes. 

I will definately  try this one! 
lamere
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:31 PM
Tonight we had leftover tacos.  I browned the meat yesterday (2lbs) with onions.  Then I set aside half for spaghetti which I will cook tomorrow night.  I threw in some seasoning, cut up some lettuce, tomato and avocado and threw some corn tortillas in the microwave for 15 seconds.  Tonight I just reheated the meat and chopped up some fresh veggies. 

Tomorrow night I will throw the other half of the meat into a pan with some jar spaghetti sauce.  Then I wil boil 6 eggs.  We eat them in our spaghetti like meatballs.  You must try this.  It's really good.  I'll boil some spaghetti. 

Here's the best part.  My 16 year old neighbor cleans my house for three hours a week to earn gas money.  She comes on Tues and Thurs.  When I browned the meat on Tues. She had cleaned the kitchen.  All I basically had to do was wash one pan and throw everything in the dishwasher.  Tonight we just left the plates for her to do tomorrow and tomorrow I will just dirty one pan for the sauce and one to boil the eggs and water for the pasta.  (You can do them together in the same water).  So to summarize, three days in a row without washing dishes.

Sometimes I get more fancy than this, but for my "heart of the week" days when things are really hectic I keep it simple like this.  It keeps us all happy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)