Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Islam

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:33 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 612 Total Views

Since there seem to be so many misconceptions about Islam, particularly with the National tension about the Mosque in NYC it is important that, as to not fall into the media trap, we educate ourselves on that we are unfamiliar with.

My question: Since it is the radical "Muslims" that get all the media attention it would be easy to assume they dominate the religion of Islam so statistically speaking how many radicals to how many 'normal' followers are there in the Muslim community?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bandgeek521
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:55 PM

I have read that the extremists only represent about 10% of the entire Muslim population.

I can look for sources if you'd like...

momof3josephs
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:35 PM

I am sure a very small amount are terrorist extremists...

muslimah
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Quoting bandgeek521:

I have read that the extremists only represent about 10% of the entire Muslim population.

Lol I guess you know better than me because I have no clue what the percentage is.

There are approximatly 8 million Muslims in the United States.

I live the largest Muslim and Arab population in North America in the metro Detroit area of Michigan but I don't and never have known any radicals/terrorist and I would say that at least 95% of the people I know are Muslims both Sunni and Shiah.

bandgeek521
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting bandgeek521:

Lol I guess you know better than me because I have no clue what the percentage is.

I live the largest Muslim and Arab population in North America in the metro Detroit area of Michigan but I don't and never have known any radicals/terrorist and I would say that at least 95% of the people I know are Muslims both Sunni and Shiah.

Haha, I'm not claiming to infallibly know, but there have been two or three sources I've read that have given that number - I just have to hunt them down and find them, lol, if I'm asked to cite them. They're in a couple of the books I have here, I just don't remember exactly which ones or which pages. Although I'm not arguing that even these sources are infallible, they're just what I've seen. I do know that extremists definitely are a minority. :)

muslimah
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Quoting bandgeek521:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting bandgeek521:

and I  I live the largest Muslim and Arab population in North America in the metro Detroit area of Michigan but I don't and never have known any radicals/terrorist and I would say that at least 95% of the people I know are Muslims both Sunni and Shiah.

Haha, I'm not claiming to infallibly know, but there have been two or three sources I've read that have given that number - I just have to hunt them down and find them, lol, if I'm asked to cite them. They're in a couple of the books I have here, I just don't remember exactly which ones or which pages. Although I'm not arguing that even these sources are infallible, they're just what I've seen. I do know that extremists definitely are a minority. :)

I was not being a smart ass or insinuating that you are incorrect. I truly don't know the numbers/percentage and have never myself looked it up so I meant it when I said you probably know more about it than I do being that 10% sounds like a reasonable number because I know they are in the minority and their mind set and actions are not in line with Islam.

bandgeek521
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Quoting muslimah:

I was not being a smart ass or insinuating that you are incorrect. I truly don't know the numbers/percentage and have never myself looked it up so I meant it when I said you probably know more about it than I do being that 10% sounds like a reasonable number because I know they are in the minority and their mind set and actions are not in line with Islam.

Oh, lol, I know you weren't. Sorry if I implied that I thought you were. I was just trying to make sure everyone knows I'm not trying to sound like a know it all, haha. :)

nance209
by New Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 2:12 AM

Well, here is my humble point of view. Islam is originally a religion of averageness .Actually, Quran prohibits extremism . So, why would someone turn extreme..guess either unjust life issues or oppression in his environment. Eitherways he may be extreme in a way that he totally is against God's laws or that he applies these laws incorrectly . I don't think we Muslims are being divided into radical and normals:)) we never thought to go that far.. but generally speaking we all try hard to be average good Muslims abiding by our religion's laws in a moderate way ..I add also that each and every religion or belief has his fanatics or extremists

momof3josephs
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 7:44 AM

Quoting nance209:

Well, here is my humble point of view. Islam is originally a religion of averageness .Actually, Quran prohibits extremism . So, why would someone turn extreme..guess either unjust life issues or oppression in his environment. Eitherways he may be extreme in a way that he totally is against God's laws or that he applies these laws incorrectly . I don't think we Muslims are being divided into radical and normals:)) we never thought to go that far.. but generally speaking we all try hard to be average good Muslims abiding by our religion's laws in a moderate way ..I add also that each and every religion or belief has his fanatics or extremists

That is a very good point! I know people that say they are Christian that are KKK, and did you know slavery was justified as being Biblical? People like to use religion as a justification for their hate.

nance209
by New Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Well  that's exactly the point, dear.. it's really very bad to be a fanatic and even worse to justify your actions realting them to religion!!

ThatTXMom
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Quoting nance209:

Well  that's exactly the point, dear.. it's really very bad to be a fanatic and even worse to justify your actions realting them to religion!!

I would like to think that folks who do use religion for extreme reason will be judged harshly on the day of judgement. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)