Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some advice in opening a new home daycare :)

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:00 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 246 Total Views

Hello! My name is Nikki and I am 25 years old.  I am new to CafeMom, as my friend just introduced me to it! I just moved to Lisle from Warrenville, and have lived in DuPage County my entire life!  My son will be 5 years old in August, and I am due with my second boy in August as well...it will be a busy month :) I am currenlty a nanny, but once my second child is born I plan on having my own at-home daycare. 

That is all I have been focusing on for the past 2 months.  We just moved, so we are almost done renovating our new house and getting the kiddie areas all ready.  I am very excited for this new venture- but really need some kids to watch :) If anyone knows of anyone that is seeking experienced, quality childcare in the Lisle, Illinois area, please let them know about me :)  Also, if you know of any good blogs or ways of advertising let me know- I'd appreciate any advice! I have been babysitting and have been a nanny for years, and I will be offering a fun, educational, creative environment for children to thrive in. I have a really informative handout about myself and my daycare that I can send to anyone who is interested. My email is LisleDaycare@gmail.com.  

Here is some information about myself and my home daycare:

Background Information:

• Openings for only 2-3 children.  I have 2 children of my own, a 5 year old son and an infant.  We love to go on outings to zoos, museums, and parks.
  • Extensive childcare experience
  • Previous training  in CPR, First Aid, and 2 years of Nursing education
  • Bachelor's degree in Sociology, minor in Psychology
  • Currently attaining Master's degree in Social Work, with an emphasis on social work with children
  • Background check available
  • Smoke-free home
  • We have a well-behaved, friendly Weimaraner.  He is 3 years old, minimal shedder, and is extremely careful and gentle with children.
  • I have back-up sitters readily available should any emergencies arise

What I Offer:

• Activities that aid in the intellectual, social, emotional, creative development of your child
  • Educational Activities
  • Arts and Crafts
  • Letters & Numbers
  • Music & Dance Time
  • Story Time
  • Nap Time (if needed)
  • Potty Training
  • Tutoring
  • Transportation To and From Local Schools
  • Healthy Snacks and Meals Provided (special diets need to be provided by parents)
  • Many Toys and Books for All Ages
  • Child-Centered Play Room, Large Backyard, Swing Set, Low Traffic Cul-de-sac
  • Weekly Outings to: DuPage Children's Museum, Brookfield Zoo, Cosley Zoo, pools, parks, playgrounds, and many more (all memberships included at no additional cost)
  • Special Outings to: Odyssey Fun World, Pump It Up, Airtastic, Monkey Joe's, and many more (all outings included at no additional cost)

Procedures:

• Pay: $250 per week per child, regardless of absences or number of hours (averages to $5.55/hr) *This includes all meals, snacks, memberships, outings, and educational materials
  • Hours:  8-5 (Very Flexible)
  • 2-3 openings for full time care
  • Daycare runs from the end of August 2010 through the middle of August 2011

Can be available sooner if needed! Hours are flexible as well

Contact me at: LisleDaycare@gmail.com for more information!

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
lilmyksmom
by Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 11:29 AM

I'm not sure this is the best place to advertise, since we all have day cares of our own, but I wish you the best of luck in your new venture!

I do have a few suggestions, though.  I live in NY, where the cost of living is very high, and your weekly rate is more than $100/wk more than mine.  I would do some research about local rates.  Most people only charge $5/hr for a drop in rate.  My full time rate is $140/wk.  My part time rate is $30/day, or $5/hr, depending on the family's needs.  You should check to see what  care providers in your area charge, though.  You don't want to be higher then everybody else. 

Also, why are you stopping your day care next summer?

And lastly, you might want to consider extending your hours.  Most parents can't be there to pick up before 5:30ish.  My hours are 7am-6pm.  Most kids don't stay that late, but it covers you for parents that may need different hours.

Good luck!

MommyDaycare1
by New Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 2:22 PM
Thank you for the advice! I really needed it. I have never had a home daycare before, so any advice is appreciated! The rate is comparative to my area- I definitely looked that up first- but I may decrease my price to be cheaper than everyone else...most places in my area charge $250 per week for full time. I will definitely change my hours and extend them- thank you for that suggestion :) I am only doing the daycare for one year because I have to do a 30-hour/week internship the following year for my Masters Degree program and will not be home during the day anymore :( thank you very much!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)