Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Reopening and getting frustrated! Help!

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:24 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 320 Total Views

Hello I am reopening my home daycare. I had to close last October due to my son having some medical problems, everything has worked itself out and I can now reopen. I am registered through the state to keep 5 kids. I have 3 of my own but they don't count because they are all school age. I was only able to have daycare for 6 months last time due to my sons problems but I have lots of other experience. I was raised in a home daycare and I have subbed at other daycares in my area. I am set up for the food program and can accept assistance vouchers.

Ok, now why I am getting frustrated, lol. It has been 2 weeks and I still don't have even 1 kid yet. I have an ad in the paper, I have put flyers up all over town, and I am getting referrels from the child care refferel agency in town. I have had 4 calls and 2 interviews, one of the people who interviewed said they was gonna start this past Monday and never showed, the other interview said they would talk and get back to me but still nothing. I don't know why, I filled up last time within 3 weeks. The refferel service said that they figured I'd be full by now since nobody else has any openings for infants or toddlers except me. There is a daycare that is closing here so hopefully in the next week I'll get some kids. Like I said I am frustrated and needed to vent. How long has it took everyone here to get kids or fill up. I am just worried because if I don't get any kids I will have to get a job and I really want to do daycare at home.

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
sanab
by Member on Jun. 29, 2010 at 3:12 PM

hpe something comes up soon :)

ashe822
by Member on Jun. 29, 2010 at 4:02 PM

I know it is hard waiting, but it takes time. Also with the economy like it is many people who would normally need childcare are out of work. Just be patient and keep advertising. I have always found that self promotion is best. Every time I see someone with a child I will start a conversation and always promote myself. It has worked out well because people remember that and whether they need care then or in the future they come back to me or they pass my info onto a friend.

jnd951999
by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I have an interview for tomorrow so hopefully I'll get it. She said she wanted a home daycare with a small # of children, we talked for about 10 minutes on the phone and she sounding promising! I'll keep you updated!

msmichelle45
by Member on Jun. 30, 2010 at 7:21 AM

Where do you live? City and state? Business seems to be picking up, I have received 10 new listings this month, last month was hardly any and several people dropped thier listing becasue they closed their daycare.

Try advertising on my site: http://www.daycareresource.com/submit.html

Have you tried craigslist.org

Michelle

mirandalforcier
by Member on Jun. 30, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I'm having the same issues as you.  I had a family that was supposed to start this week and they never showed.  I've had three promising interviews, but no call backs.  I am advertising with a referral service in my city and a referral agency with the state and still haven't had any luck getting kids.  I've had my license since April and I am beyond frustrated!  Wish you the best of luck!

jnd951999
by on Jul. 3, 2010 at 1:09 AM

I am in Arkansas. I got the kid on the interview I had then today they called and said that a friend had offered to do it, ugh. He was supposed to start on Tuesday. But on the brighter side my friend who works at a daycare here called today and said that her boss just informed her that they'll be closing in 2 weeks and they was telling all of the parents today. My friend gave my number to all of them and that daycare had 18 kids and I can only keep 5. I had a mom call me with 3 kids on vouchers that wanted to sign up. She was supposed to come over tonight but never showed. Anyway she said that 1 of the kids was sick so hopefully thats why she didn't come, it just would have been nice to have a phone call. But maybe in the next week or 2 I'll be up and running.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)