Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Marvin Zindler R.I.P

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:34 AM
  • 0 Replies
  • 225 Total Views
Houstonians remembered a true Houston television icon on Monday. Marvin Zindler, 85, died from complications of pancreatic cancer on Sunday.The flamboyant pioneer of TV consumer reporting passed away weeks after announcing his illness in a report for KTRK from his hospital room where he recounted his various surgeries, including two open heart surgeries and various cosmetic surgeries. if  Zindler, always bedecked on air and off in a powder-white toupee, colorful suits and colored glasses, also was a proud veteran of more cosmetic surgeries than he could count. To that end, he frequently arranged for badly needed operations for disfigured or deformed children. Zindler was remembered as a one-of-kind crusader who dedicated his career to helping people."He was so caring and so passionate about what he did. We're really going to miss that old man. He was quite a spark and did a lot of good. He helped a lot of people," said Dave Ward, KTRK news anchor.Houston's Lighthouse for the Blind was one of the numerous organizations he helped. He ensured expensive Braille machines were donated to the facility so blind Houstonians could learn a trade."It would be nice to make money and now I'll be out of school," said Kelly Deeds, a Lighthouse for the Blind client."We certainly are grateful to him. As he left, I remembered he said, 'If there's anything else you ever need, just call me.' And I think he meant it," said Gibson DuTerroil, the Lighthouse for the Blind president.Disabled Houstonians remember Zindler as a crusader who helped build wheelchair access to buildings and who helped pass the Americans with Disabilities Act."Buildings became accessible. Parking places became accessible because of folks like Mr. Zindler. In the early days, he was really a focal point for helping us get some media attention for some of these problems," Joe Hallmark said. "He highlighted the power of the media to shine light on the every day problems of folks. And now you've seen a whole generation of folks of journalists who've come up and do some of the types of investigations that he started," Houston Mayor Bill White said.Zindler's crusade against a rural brothel inspired "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas."Locally, Zindler became best known for his Friday "rat and roach report," fingering eateries cited by the city for health violations. A rant about "mouse droppings on the countertop" or "sliiiiime in the ice machine" could break a restaurant.People dropped off flowers and signs in front of KTRK's studios on Bissonnet on Monday.The funeral will be held Wednesday at 11 a.m. at the Congregation Beth Israel, located at 5600 N. Braeswood Blvd. Zindler is survived by his wife Niki, five children, nine grandchildren and a great-grandchild.
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)