Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

new brace=sleepless nights

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:07 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 802 Total Views

hello my son is about 10 weeks old, has been casted since he was 9 days old, and had a heel chord surgery about 3 weeks ago. he had a cast on for 3 weeks after his surgery and just got it removed and received his new brace. I'm not sure if everyone's is the same or different but his is the ponseti brace. he is not so bad during the day but the nights have been the worst. before when he was just in a cast he only woke up about one time wich was around 4 am, but since getting the brace its been closer to two or three times a night. is this normal in the begining? i just feel horrible seing him so unhappy. please share your experiences. i am so happy to have found this group!

by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Winter711
by Member on May. 2, 2010 at 10:27 AM

It depends on the child but I have heard that it can take a bit to get used the brace.  My son went into it well but others have taken a week or two to get used to it.  You can practice showing him how to move his legs with the brace on and we used to roll up a towel and put it under his knees when he slept.  Hang in there.

WifeyType_718
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:18 AM

i actually have been using a folded up blanket under his legs when he sleeps in hopes to making him more comfortable. it is so hard at times, and i feel like i cant talk to anybody about it because nobody quite understands the situation, i am so happy there is a group for moms like us! thanks!

Winter711
by Member on May. 2, 2010 at 4:01 PM

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/nosurgery4clubfoot

This group on Yahoo is also very helpful, it is quite active and there is alot in the archive.  It is a great reference.  I do understand how lonely and frustrating this process is.  My son will be 3 in 2 weeks and I can't believe how fast it has gone.  He is in his brace nights only now.  There were so many nights that he would wake up and I would always wonder if it was his brace or something else bothering him.  At this point the brace is just part of his routine he really just doesn't know any different. I know it seems like you have a long road ahead of you but it will pass before you know it!! 

babydurling
by Member on Aug. 19, 2010 at 3:18 AM

My 9 week old son just got his first cast last friday and he's been so fussy. He's usually the perfect little baby. And his eating habbits have drastically changed. He'll eat for 5 or 6 mintues then get super uncomfortable and stop eating and he won't settle down unless I walk him around. How long did it take for your boys to get used to the cast. And I thought the brace would be the easy part, but I've read that its not :/ Also my son is going to have his heel cord cut too, I just don't know when. :(

WifeyType_718
by on Aug. 19, 2010 at 8:07 AM

my son got his first cast at only 7 days old, maybe because he was so young he seemed to get used to it a bit easier there wasn't much of a change for him with his cast. my son also got the heel chord tenotomy (sp?) done i think around 3 monthsold. the brace is more restricting which i think makes it worse. even though my son had a cast he was so used to moving both his legs separately. with the brace he had to learn how to move his leg together. but I'm happy to say as of august first the brace came off! he only has to wear it at night now! just curious why they didn't cast your son sooner?

babydurling
by Member on Aug. 19, 2010 at 9:00 PM

We had to wait to get his insuance going and find an orthopedic doctor. Also we had to go to Children's Hospital of LA and had to wait a few weeks to get an appointment for a hip ultrasound. Just a bunch of little things but we finally got it going last week. How did the heel cord surgery go? I'm really nervous about that part :( Did they put the baby to sleep or something? My son just got his 2 month shots today and he only cried for a minute, but I'm scared about the surgery! Was it hard to burp him and change diapers after he got the brace on?

AlL_eYeS_oN_mE
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 4:24 PM

sorry it took me so long to reply i forgot my info to my account and i had to make a new one. the tenotomy was fine they only gave him a local to numb the area so he was awake. changing diapers was fine because the bar on his brace came off which helps alot. it just took a while for him to adjust to wearing it. but im happy to say that as of august 1st he only has to wear it at night. good luck and keep us posted.

airbornewife06
by Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Hun my son had the same issue with the braces.. Talk to your dr about it tho they had to adjust his right shoe cause he wasn't sleeping but the thing of it is they had to turn the angle for that one out further.. Add me on here and I can hep out some or on my face book the name on facebook is Ashley Sines just tell me who you are if you add me there..

mrs.hammonds07
by Member on Oct. 2, 2010 at 12:39 AM

A lot of babies cry for the first couple of nights or weeks...we were actually told when we got Logan's brace to be prepared for him to not be a happy baby for a couple of days.  They just have to get used to the whole when one foot moves the other has to as well, there's not individual movement of each foot and at night is when you want to relax and be comfortable..  sometimes my son will get annoyed at night because he will flip over and his blanket will get tangled around his brace and he'll start hollering for me to come untangle his blanket.  Maybe this will soon pass for you...Logan actually never cried with his brace.

ButterflyMom126
by Member on Oct. 4, 2010 at 8:08 AM

Haleigh my daughter has never really cried that much with the brace and she has definitely never let it keep her from sleeping!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)