Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

new member here...have some ???

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:47 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 429 Total Views

ok, so my son was born sept 25 of '07, and he had a club foot.  we thought we were gonna have to take him 200 miles away to get it fixed, and the trips would be every week, we were freaking out.  but we found someone closer to home, about 30 miles away, so he got his first cast when he was 12 days old.  and he got a new one every week, then every two weeks, every month, and so on.  well, he had the heel cord lengthening at about 6 months, and after that he had a brace.  well, he's almost 15 months old now, and his last dr. appointment was on the 11th.  he learned how to take his brace off, he is walking on the side of his foot, so now the dr. wants to send us to the other dr. 200 miles away to get a second opinion.  also, we were never told that there were special shoes that he could wear.  

well, i guess my questions are,

what are these shoes? and does the dr. prescribe them?  and why wasn't that offered?

i'm kind of angry that there might have been something else to be done to make his foot straighter, and we didn't even get told about it.  had to find out looking at posts in this group.  any info would be appreciated.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Winter711
by Member on Dec. 19, 2008 at 5:33 PM

Where are you located?  What kind of brace does he wear?  My son got his first cast at 10 days and one cast a week for 4 weeks and did not need the heel cord lengthening.  It seems like your son had alot of casting.  Who is your doctor and who are you going to see for the second opinion. 

goodcarma1
by New Member on Dec. 19, 2008 at 8:21 PM

we're in a little town in kansas.  his dr. is in hays, kansas, and now we have to go to witchita, kansas which is 200 miles from where we live.  the dr. who did his casting is not a pediatric orthopedic surgeon, but we didn't have much choice in where we went.  it was a long time for him to be in casts, but having never gone through this before, we didn't know....  i don't know what kind it is, it goes up to his thigh. the people who made it for him usually don't do braces for kids that little, so i wonder if that had any effect on his foot too.

Winter711
by Member on Dec. 19, 2008 at 11:49 PM

You may want to check into the Ponseti method.  It is very specific about how everything is done.  There is also a great group on yahoo  http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/nosurgery4clubfoot/

There is alot of information there and alot of active members.  The brace my son wears is made by MD Ortho 

http://www.mdorthopaedics.com/

This is all they do.  I hope some of these sites help. Feel free to ask more questions if you like.

Star8283
by on Dec. 23, 2008 at 10:50 AM

hi & welcome

My name is Danniella & my son is Tristin he's 1 yr old

I travel 600 miles across the whole state of PA for my son. Once a week. For 2 months. After a incompatent Dr.  treated my son. It broke us and made things all that much harder. But it's well worth it in the end.  You should go on the no sugery board they will help you .

You can also email pictures to dr ponseti himself! thats what i did . i had a feeling that something was wrong. He confirmed it.

Angel flights can also help you fly to where ever your needed to go. and the ronald mcdonald house and haven house previde a place to stay. 

You can find all this information on the no sugery board . and also on www.six-feet.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)