Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any Clubbed Foot/Feet parents receiving SSI for their child?

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2009 at 5:18 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 3927 Total Views

I never knew about it until another mom told me she heard about it. Well, I checked into it, and I am now receiving disability benifits for my little one. It truly helps. If you need/want more info, simply respond here. Maybe our posts will help others who need it....

by on Jan. 9, 2009 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Iluvjandkplus8
by New Member on Jan. 9, 2009 at 7:19 PM
Please tell me more! Lindsay
NightMarezMommy
by on Jan. 10, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Depending on where your child is currently with treatment, if there is still a ways to go (because you can only receive SSI until your doctor declares your child has full recovered) you can apply for SSI disability benefits. They can also help you out with food stamps and other programs if you qualify and need them. Go to www.ssa.gov/applyfordisability/  to get more information. You can print the forms from the website, or you can go into your local social security office and ask for the information/report packet. Then call 800-772-1213 to set up an appointment to complete the SSI application. You will either get an appointment to go into the office to complete it, or by phone (someone will call you to get all of the info needed for the application, usually takes about 45 minutes). You must fill out the report before your appointment. You don't turn in the report, but it gets you ready for all of the info they will ask you, and all of the info they will need when completing the application. Everything on there is important to know. Also, make sure you have's your chid's birth certificate and any paycheck stubs for you and/or your Husband or baby daddy. Benefits are based on income and assets. If anyone needs anymore info, feel free to contact me.

strongmama07
by New Member on Jan. 13, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Thank you for the info we are expecting baby #3 May 1st and he has severe clubbed feet. We are struggling as it is to make ends meet so maybe this will help when he gets here....

NightMarezMommy
by on Jan. 13, 2009 at 1:02 PM

The most they pay per month is 557...but it is to be spent only on the "disabled" child. But it really does help. If you have medical bills, you can pay the baby's with this money, and their food, clothing, and any other necessities.

NightMarezMommy
by on Feb. 4, 2009 at 3:58 AM
Bump! Just in case there are any new mamas to this group that might need the info...
Mommy2Lilypad
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:01 PM

My baby will have a club foot and a cleft lip and will need the serial casting and then surgery for the lip so I would assume he would qualify? My DD had a cleft too but I have never heard of this. Do you know how they decide if you qualify or not. I do not work (sahm) and my hubby is a police officer so its not like we have lots of money. Thank you for sharing this! It would definatly help!

froghopper
by Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:18 PM

personally, I'm not sure why they NEED SSI.  My baby has club foot and everything is covered by the shriners childrens hospital, braces and treatment, appts everything is included.  we were offered access..but i really didn't see the need because simply...everything that needed to be covered WAS covered by the hospital with no cost to us.  Do you guys not have that?

Frogs-6.gif             

lcm3181
by Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:35 PM

I am not receiving SSI for my child. There isn't a single part of club feet that makes my child "disabled" so I feel that it would be mis-using it. We are very low on money these days, I just can't find anything right with using it.

NightMarezMommy
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 3:12 PM

No, our hospital doesn't cover everything, or anything. My husband's work insurance pays pretty much nothing, they always deny our claims, and the baby has medi-cal, and Medi-cal is constantly denying our claims for her casts, x-rays, surgeries, etc...I am a stay-at-home mom, I have no money, and my husband is working his butt off to pay all of the bills himself. My daughter is 22 months old, doesn't walk, doesn't talk, is very smart, but doesn't know how to do it all. Her physical therapist and doctor's said with the walking comes the talking, but she still isn't walking, and still needs more another surgery. I can't work a regular job because of all of the clubbed foot related appointments that she has, and also because I cannot trust anyone other than myself to give her the care she needs, especially with the situation she is in. I had a great job before I gave birth, and I was pretty much forced to quit so I can put my child first. And with that, and the economy, we are struggling. I have put into social security since I was 14 years old, and if I need it, I am using it. It is only for a few months until my daughter is able to function like a normal child. I've only gotten it for 3 months, and as soon as Marilyn is done with the majority of her treatment, it will be cancelled. It's not like I am like all of those other dead beats living off of welfare, collecting wic and foodstamps, my child was born normally, I have never worked a day in my life, I am physically able to work and just don't want to, someone else is raising my child, none of the money is actually going to my child, and I just don't care as long as I have the governments money like a lot of people out there. I take great care of my daugher, and I worry about her well being, that is why I don't put her in some daycare and skip appointments because I am tired. On top of babysitting fulltime with really no pay, I take my daughter to 2-3 clubbed foot related appointments EACH WEEK!

lcm3181
by Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 3:39 PM

It seems to be fitting that you are using it. Sounds like your daughter has had a rough go at treatment. I am glad it is there for people who really need it :-)

Quoting NightMarezMommy:

No, our hospital doesn't cover everything, or anything. My husband's work insurance pays pretty much nothing, they always deny our claims, and the baby has medi-cal, and Medi-cal is constantly denying our claims for her casts, x-rays, surgeries, etc...I am a stay-at-home mom, I have no money, and my husband is working his butt off to pay all of the bills himself. My daughter is 22 months old, doesn't walk, doesn't talk, is very smart, but doesn't know how to do it all. Her physical therapist and doctor's said with the walking comes the talking, but she still isn't walking, and still needs more another surgery. I can't work a regular job because of all of the clubbed foot related appointments that she has, and also because I cannot trust anyone other than myself to give her the care she needs, especially with the situation she is in. I had a great job before I gave birth, and I was pretty much forced to quit so I can put my child first. And with that, and the economy, we are struggling. I have put into social security since I was 14 years old, and if I need it, I am using it. It is only for a few months until my daughter is able to function like a normal child. I've only gotten it for 3 months, and as soon as Marilyn is done with the majority of her treatment, it will be cancelled. It's not like I am like all of those other dead beats living off of welfare, collecting wic and foodstamps, my child was born normally, I have never worked a day in my life, I am physically able to work and just don't want to, someone else is raising my child, none of the money is actually going to my child, and I just don't care as long as I have the governments money like a lot of people out there. I take great care of my daugher, and I worry about her well being, that is why I don't put her in some daycare and skip appointments because I am tired. On top of babysitting fulltime with really no pay, I take my daughter to 2-3 clubbed foot related appointments EACH WEEK!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN