Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update 38 weeks

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2010 at 9:29 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 1342 Total Views

Baby is still breech. Doctors want me to pick a section date. Doctor and Family is trying to push me into one around the 39th week because the doctors say with me being a diabetic, my chances of giving birth to a still born greatly increases at that point. I dont know the statistics but do know I have already given birth to two children who have passed and naturally Im terrified to loose another. Especially since I am so close.

I just sit here and cry and sob. I've spent my entire pregnancy ready to fight for the VBA2C only to have a breech baby. There are just so many other complicating factors. I feel so hopeless and scared right now. None of the techniques, and trust me we have tried them all minus a manual version, have worked since 32 weeks when it comes to getting this baby to flip. I've never felt so devestated and alone. So scared. So depressed. I almost resent the child I am carrying for being breech.

by on Dec. 17, 2010 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Member on Dec. 17, 2010 at 9:39 AM

I don't know what to say, but I'm sending my love and prayers that everything works out. 

by Group Admin on Dec. 17, 2010 at 7:41 PM

There might be a very good reason for your baby to be breech, like a short cord. Don't be angry.

Here is my suggestion. It might work for both you and your OB.

Knowing that you are a Diabetic and also knowing that some babies need as much time as possible perhaps you can ease your OB"s worries and your own by agreeing to a couple of NST's each week to keep an eye on baby and not picking a c-section date.
I'm sure most people would agree that by allowing your baby and body to go into labor, you are ensuring that your baby will be born when he is ready. Also, it gives you and your baby all that more time to turn if he can. Remember, some babies wait until labor to actually settle into position.


by on Dec. 18, 2010 at 4:37 AM

Maybe I missed this but why not deliver vaginally breech?  I also agree with Tammy they stay breech sometimes for a reason and early labor contractions are what will encourage the turn. 

by on Dec. 18, 2010 at 10:38 AM

His head is in the 90th % and his body in the 60th. Thats typical for all my kids. I give birth to fat head babies. The head is normally first because it needs time to mold and prepare the birth canal. When you birth a breech baby, the head comes out faster than it should and thats fine as long as the head is same size or smaller than the shoulders because they have already stretched you to accomidate the head. But when the head is greatly larger than the shoulders, the head is forced through an opening smaller than it can pass through which can cause hemorhaging and death. Also, if a doctor does not know how to properly deliver a breech baby, they can cause damage or death. Midwives are about the only one left that know how to deliver breech and even most of those lack the knowledge to deliver breech safely.

Breech is doable but only safely when certain criteria are met.

Im already doing NST's and BPP's twice a week.

As an update, Im currently in the hospital. I was having high blood pressure, possibly from stress, but they have me in for a 24 hour urine catch to check for pre-e. I was having contractions last night but they have now stopped. Im 1cm dilated but still -3. Im 38 1 day but they do not want me to deliver yet. Its like they are really set on this 39 week window thing with my diabetes. Any sooner is too early and any later is too risky.

They scheduled a section for December 30th at 39 weeks 5 days. If he flips Ill fight for longer

by Member on Dec. 18, 2010 at 10:50 AM
oh girl i am so so sorry. i know that after i went over my due date and his fluid started to drop . . . i was having to look at choices i didnt want to and i was really upset. i was so afraid that any intervention i did would morew than likely set me up for a c. luckily for me he came a day before we were to break my water.

i know this is nothing like your situation. . . but i do totally understand your frustrations. seeing that you have lost other babies (so sorry mama) . . . i would almost be inclined to accept that they do what they need to for u guys. . .especially seeing that baby is breech. breech births can be more complicated and i think u minimizing as many risks as possible might be best. i know risks come with sections too. . . i am not sure how i would go about choosing one or the other.

a vbac for me was sososososo important. . but when faced with a challange i knew i had to do what was best for the baby. maybe do some research on diabetes and mortality rates. i cant imagine they are higher. . but who knows.

i wish the best for you and baby isaac.
by on Dec. 19, 2010 at 7:01 AM

Surgery this morning. Kidneys and liver shutting down.

by Member on Dec. 19, 2010 at 8:34 AM
I am so very sorry. I will be thinking of you today. Contact your ICAN friends. You're going to need them. Also, if they don't have it, let me know and I will send you a presentation on scar care. (Did I mention I am an ICAN leader?) It will help with the physical pain and recovery.
Again, I'm so very sorry you are not getting your VBAC.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Member on Dec. 20, 2010 at 2:04 AM

Sorry that you were not able to get your VBAC, but there is nothing else you could have done and hopefully you find some comfort in knowing it was necessary.
I  went through the same emotions with my breech (my first) and through ppd/ptsd with my second. Isolating yourself doesn't help at all, you still have the right to grieve the loss of the birth and feel angry, you can not control your emotions. When y0ou are ready reach out to your local ICAN group and there is a ppd group if you have having trouble coping, as well as you are more than welcome to pm me and if it will help I will give you my number.

by on Dec. 21, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Isaac is here. I would share pics but dont know how to upload them here? like what format to use?

Surgery was painful and recovery is painful but emotionally Im ok. Baby and I are safe and healthy. I got my tubes tied so Ill never get another opportunity to VBAC but I know I gave it my all and fought for it until the end.

by Member on Dec. 21, 2010 at 8:59 AM
So glad you and baby are here and safe!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)