Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

C-sections top 32%

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2011 at 5:46 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 769 Total Views

Cesarean Rate Jumps Again To Record High

32.9% of Births Resulting In Major Abdominal Surgery; 13th Consecutive Year to Show Increase

Redondo Beach, CA, December 21, 2010 – The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Health Statistics has reported that the cesarean rate hit another record high in 2009, with a preliminary rate of 32.9 percent. The findings reflect the 13th consecutive year of increase. This rate roughly equates to 1,359,105 out of the 4,131,019 births in the United States in 2009 resulting in a cesarean.

"Cesareans are far from the niche occurrence of yesteryear. Every woman in her childbearing years MUST sit up and take notice of this alarming and astonishing rate of surgical delivery," says ICAN President Desirre Andrews.

The primary cesarean rate continues to rise, meaning that even women without a prior cesarean and those with prior vaginal births are affected by the climbing cesarean rate. For those who have previously had a cesarean, access to VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) support continues to fade regardless of this year's statements from the NIH and ACOG supporting VBAC as a safe option. "The rising cesarean rate and the resulting consequences are not going to go away on their own," says Andrews. "Now more than ever, women and babies need access to evidence-based care."

Evidence shows that cesareans place women and babies at increased risk for morbidity and mortality immediately and long term. Cesarean sections are being overused in the United States and the rate continues to rise, placing women and babies under these risks avoidably.

In addition to over 130 local chapters throughout North America and Internationally which provide in-person support, ICAN offers a variety of information and support online about cesarean prevention, recovery, and VBAC through their webinars, forums, and blog.

by on Jan. 4, 2011 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
IamLilysMom
by Member on Jan. 4, 2011 at 10:16 PM

ugh, gross.

Roadfamily6now
by Group Admin on Jan. 5, 2011 at 12:32 AM

I know right?

Now it's offically 1 out of every 3. 

Makes me rather sick to my stomach.

PEACHES1721
by Member on Jan. 5, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Makes me sick...

truealaskanmom
by on Jan. 5, 2011 at 2:48 AM

This is disgusting it needs to stop, we need a total overhaul of maternity care evidence based care not money based care gag I could puke this really upsets me

Roadfamily6now
by Group Admin on Jan. 5, 2011 at 9:09 PM

nothing will happen until TORT reform happens. When we can limit what people can sue for and what amount they can get, Doctors will forever be more worried about their pocketbooks and lively hoods then the patients.

Tammy

"It is not the healthy who need a doctor but the sick."

Join us in the Natural Birth Group!

Azure
by Member on Jan. 10, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Stealing for my due date group.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)