Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Genital Mutilation

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:49 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 337 Total Views
["I cannot forget what happened," said Toure, whose surgery was performed without anesthesia. "It hurts me every time I think about it." She said she has physical problems because of it, including intense menstrual cramps. Also, she still has flashbacks.]

http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm/dyn/aid/3257/context/cover/

I encourage everyone to take a look at this story. Oumou Toure is residing in Canada after a struggle that she still relives daily, while thinking about the future of her daughter. To me, since I grew up with the priveledge of not dealing with genital mutilation, her story is beyond belief. I only read about this happening and I'm still trying to process why on earth it would be a ritual anywhere. I'm just starting to learn about this and I'm in shock. These poor women who've experienced this...
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
dinglejen
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:25 PM

It's sad and disgusting to think that people torture peoplefor what they percive as better sexual satisifaction... 

It's wonderful that Canada didn't deport her, but I often wonder if there is anything more that could be done about it... on a global scale.

kelsiejo
by Group Owner on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:29 PM
Where would anyone even start though? The article said that it's common practice in at least 28 African Countries...it's not only an issue that needs funding for everyone involved, but also a way to change a cultural systems' beliefs! How can anyone make a person understand that what they're doing is actually hurting women and that's not okay...

What I'm really concerned about is that even though people want to help...they're still trying to send women adn children back into that environment. Hell, if they're motivated enough to get the hell out, then why not just let them stay out?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)