Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hubby wants a pit bull**UPDATE**

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:10 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 460 Total Views

So I have only ever been around mean pit bulls that could not be trusted, but I have seen and heard about so many being such good dogs. I have three kids ages 6, 3, and 1 is there any advice anyone can give me. We are going to look at some today. Which is better a male or female? Thanks for any advice.

So we got a baby yesterday, he is 6 weeks old and so sweet. We named him Diesel.

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MISSOURIBABY
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:11 PM

When I first got with my dh he had a 6 month old male pit. At first I didn't like this dog.  I decided to give him a chance and ended up falling in love with him. We brought home a female to breed with a couple of months later. That was 7 years ago.  Since then we have had 3 litters of pups brought home two of our own kids and they are very protective of all the kids in my house. After we had the first litter one of my neighbors came to see the pups my male climbed up on my oldest son layed on him and growel at the neighbor cause he thought that they was there to get my son. Even the kids that don't belong here. The advice I will give you is as soon as you bring the new baby home, shower him/her with lots of love and let the kids do the same. They can be mean but expreience has shown that the more love and attention that they get the better they are. I wouldn't trade them for anything. I hope this helps. Btw here is a pic of my baby Sativa. This was taken on Christmas.

CarolinaMom06
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:29 PM

We have 6 Pitbulls, Ranging from ages, the oldest is almost 3 and the youngest is 7 weeks old. They are great dogs!!! It all depends on how you raise them, Yeah if you sit there and hit and beat on them, etc, They are gonna grow up to be mean and scared dogs. It's best if you get a puppy, saying around 7 or 8 weeks old, So you and your family can raise it up the right way, So it will be around the kids and know them as he/she gets older. I havent never seen a mean pitbull in my life, Good Luck!!!

tj_rain
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Well if you look through the years you will see how well pit bulls are  with kids.  The dog on the little rascals was a pit. 

I have two girls....ages 7yrs & 2 yrs.  I got my 2 yr old when I was pregnant with my son..Who is now turning 2 yrs old himself.   I have 4 kids..17,16,4 & 2 yrs.  I have never had a problem with the dogs around my kids.  I have pic's of my little ones sleeping on my dogs.  They pull tails, try to ride them, you name it.  Never once as either showed any bad behavior towards my kids. 

I would say get a puppy...this way it grows up with your children..I would advise that with any dog. 

I will say this also..My girls are the kindest most loving family dogs...they are also the best watch dogs ever.  This breed gets a bad rap...Like any other dogs..It's how you train them....& that's not even the case with pits.  Look at the Micheal Vic story.  That man was fighting all them pits.  What the news really didn't run was..the pits that weren't destroyed...Now are rescued in loving homes..Also one is a dog they take to nursing homes to spread love to the people living there..

google the breed..You will see..

Jabrw0ke
by Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:07 AM

When I Was younger I was afraid of all of the "typical bully breeds" but there were quite a few mean dogs in the neighborhood. Shit even my best friend has a schnauzer, and it was SUPER mean.... Anyways. I grew up scared of a lot of dogs, and than when we decided to get a dog, I really opened my mind, and looked into all that I could about APBT. They are the best dog to have with children. Kids keep this much needing to exercise dog, busy! They are just over grown children them selves. And they really don't get that BIG, they just have a lot of muscle.
Anyways, just love and train it (don't neglect it because they are SUCH sencitive dogs, and this could cause them to retaliate, and be mean).... Train Train Train, my sister tells me, so that  when people see your dog, they are looking at it as a model breed.

kc932
by Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 3:46 PM

When we found out our pound puppy was a pit I was devastated. My husband and I agreed NO PITS. Hubby backtracked and wanted to keep him. I called a Rescue Group and talked to our Vet. The Lady at the Rescue begged me to not give up on this puppy because of his breed. The puppy needed a leg amputation that was VERY expensive. I surprisingly told my Husband to put MY puppy to sleep. Hubby refused. After the surgery I talked more with the Vet one on one. I agreed to give the puppy a chance and researched my heart out. I LOVE THIS DOG!!!! He is the sweetest and most eager to please dog I have ever seen. My golden retriever is sweet but not very eager to please. I AM SO GLAD WE GAVE THIS DOG A CHANCE. I have informed many of people the truths about Pits.

So 6 months and thousands of dollars later my Husbands dog (thats right I lost all rights when I said "put him down") has been a WONDERFUL addition to the family. I would have been dead wrong to not give this dog a chance. Also, he is SOO good with the kids!

You're scared of my Pit Bull? Do you have any idea how many sex offenders live in and around your pretty little neighborhood?

MamaHens3
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:31 AM
I'm a mother of three kids, 5 almost 6, 4 and 1. My kids adore our two pit bulls, we have a male and female. We have a blue nose male Tank that's over a year, still a puppy seems like full of energy. Lita our female is a fawn, and she's now over 2 yrs old. We got tank our male from some guy who had him chined to a tool box in a kitchen, about 8 months old and we got him in bad habits. We got our female from my cousin, he wasn't home enough and he admitted to hitting her a few times which caused her to pee when afraid. We broke her out of that, she is loved and always around someone since I'm a at home momma with the kids. Tank got out of habit of being too hyper enough to be better, he knows he's loved and is in a family. I love our pits, their great dogs and when people come to our home their more the inviting lets play dogs. My good girl pal came over the first time a weekend ago, she saw lita and she was all play with me love me. She saw tank, was afraid at first but when she came to know him that day he was a little kitten more a less. Glad the sound of them is scary, since in person interacting their gentle cats. You raise them to be good dogs, when their younger its better since you can raise them still. With some dogs if their older, has a bad mis treated past like any dog really that can be iffy. Research the pit bull I say first, see if that fits your family and then go on from that. I know we did that, and our family is a pit family for sure. We show who is the pack leader, but same time love them to pieces so they know their family. We had a litter by accident, and those pups were the best ever. Good puppies, when they got homes the people were happily shocked to see how they were. They were in a family home, loved as family pets and that's how any dog should be raised.
lilchikkis
by Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 1:44 AM

pits are great with kids, i had mine since he was 6 weeks old now he is almost one next month

cdogdevon
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Aww what a cutie. They are all cute but yours caught my eye. I love the last picture.

Quoting lilchikkis:

pits are great with kids, i had mine since he was 6 weeks old now he is almost one next month

fireprincess010
by Member on Jan. 29, 2009 at 10:02 AM

I rescued my Bella when she was 6 months old from a friend, that had a friend that was about to drop her off on the side of the road. She was so so sick and had the worse case of skin problems. I took her in and now she is the best dog I could have ever gotten. Her and my 2 yrs old are like partners in Crime. I also also have a 5 yr old that gives her plenty of exercisePits are a great family dog. So just keep in mind there are plenty of pits that need to be rescued also. They can make great additions to your family with alittle work and lots of TLC!

Here is my little girl and Bella watching tv........

ma2b08
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2009 at 7:22 PM

I think this will help:

Go to www.hellobully.com and watch "Pit Bulls 101".

:-D

I'm Ashley...And this is the kind of Mama I am...

Natural birthing, breast-feeding, co-sleeping, non-vaccinating, non-CIO, pit bull enthusiast/owner, organic feeding, bilingual teaching, pro-life, Jesus loving, OBAMA supporting, Mama to Ivy Aeryn (my Mothers Day gift!) and step-mama to Kyli Marie and TTC #2!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)