Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Okay I need some advice!!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:45 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 247 Total Views

So my husband and I got a pitbull puppy 3 weeks ago. He was 7 weeks when we got him and for the most part he is wonderful. He is learning things rather quickly but we are having a problem with him growling and snapping at us and our 3 year old when you hug on him. I know for a fact that he was not abused before we got him but anytime my son goes to hug him he growls. My mother in law was just petting him and cuddling with him next to her face and he started to growl and he snapped at her face. My question is how do we get this nipped in the butt before he gets a lot bigger. I'm by no means scared of him but I really don't want him to do this anymore. Do I need to get a trainer? We have never had a pitbull before and I want to know how to train this dog the right way. We have two little boys, one is 3 almost 4 and one is 2 months and 3 weeks old. I want to be able to not worry about when they are playing with him. Thanks in advance for all the help.

baby

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Jabrw0ke
by Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:00 AM

My youngest puppy dose this too! Drives me crazy. She just has a little attitude and thinks that she is the "tuff shit" though. She is  We have another pit who is a she is about 4 months old. We have another who is almost 7 months and she dose it more when he is around. (like if me or the kids pick her up around him), and I think that makes her feel vulnerable. So I try to keep the kids from doing that (and me cuz I'm guilty).
She also nips and bites (puppy bites), and it really hurts, and I say "OUCH" really loud, and she understands.

I really don't think it's a "Pit Bull" thing, because my older dog is COMPLEATLY diff.... but I Think there's something that makes them feel uncomfortable..... I wish I could help you out a little more. Do you have another dog? Or pet? Bigger than her....

Koltonsmommy345
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Thank you for your advice. No we don't have another dog that is bigger than he is, we have one that is smaller. I know it's not a pit bull thing, I just don't know how to stop this. I have no familiararity with this breed and I want to train him right, not ruin him by doing things to hard or not hard enough. I've done a lot of research but they don't tell you how to train them.

baby

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
MISSOURIBABY
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:53 PM

When we had the first litter of pups we had one that did that. It was hard to get her sold because she kept doing it. Everytime she did it I would tap her nose say ouch and no. It did't take long for her to stop. The man who came to get her I could tell he was going to use her as a watch dog but he had a 18 month old at the time and I didn't want her to snap at the baby. When they came to pick her up she nipped at the baby. I tapped her nose and said no and she started licking the baby. That was 5 years ago and I have seen this pup since then and she no longer does it. The guy said that when he got her home he did the same thing and she stopped and had no other problems. I hope this helps you.

QuillonsMom
by Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 1:54 AM

When someone puts their face in a dogs face or handles their face it can be taken as a challenge from a dog, bc in dog language thats what that is. Some dogs take it in stride, others not so much. They all have diff personalities. There is a lot of great training info out there, both pit specific and general dog. there are lots of ways to handle this. If you can afford professional training I encourage you to do so, not only for your dog, but to help your dog be an ambassador to the breed in public! We need as many as we can get these days! Good luck momma!

cdogdevon
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 9:55 PM

I would talk to your vet and a trainer just to be on the safe side.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)