Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

traveling with your pit?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:48 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 271 Total Views

so my SO and i are going to be driving down to AL with our 3 yr old, and we are planning to take our dog along, we're going to visit his mom, she said we should  stay at a hotel overnight, and i guess super 8's and motel 6's let your dog stay free? this will probably be in a few months that we go.

so anyway, we already know that we will need to have a muzzle, just in case, and we will be stopping at rest areas for potty breaks. i figured we would need his shot record and probably his license, and of course we will be bringing water for him. is there anything else i should look into bringing along? i've never traveled with a dog, so i'm kind of stepping into unknown territory here.

~ Cassandra ~

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
erika.lyn
by Member on Feb. 14, 2009 at 2:19 PM

I have not traveled with my pitbull, but we traveled with our boxers and peekapoo. There are several motel/hotel chains that allow pets, you can go on their websites and see if they do or if they require a pet deposit. We never had any trouble. I don't remember using Super 8 or Motel 6, but I know La Quinta let us have our dogs with us...no deposit or anything.  We once drove from Colorado to Tenessee to Florida with a peekapoo and 2 full grown boxers in the minivan!

cdogdevon
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 3:39 PM

I have traveled with my pit a lot. I usually put a soft blanket down where he will be sitting and it keeps hair off the seat. I bring his favorite toy and treats. He is a road warrior and loves a trip. I would also bring a poop scoop type bag or something to clean up after him or her where you might need to. Hope all goes well :-)

katvixenstar
by Member on Feb. 15, 2009 at 2:58 AM

thanks ladies. we just bought a new (used, lol) truck, cause he needs a truck anyway, and Patches has ridden in it twice so far. he loves going on rides anyway, but a few days after we had gotten it, my SO came back from getting firewood, and Patches went outside and hopped in the truck and just sat in it for the longest time, even after we were done unloading the wood. he is so funny sometimes.

~ Cassandra ~

cdogdevon
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Is he riding in the cab or the back of the truck? I am just asking because I have seen so many dogs get seriuosly injured from riding in the back of trucks. I used to work at an animal rescue and one of the worst was a guy who said his pitbull LOVED riding in the back and he said he even tied him in for his safety then one day he jumped out because he got excited and got drug for quite a while. His paws were raw it was awful. Anyway I just hope it doesn't ride in the back :-).

Quoting katvixenstar:

thanks ladies. we just bought a new (used, lol) truck, cause he needs a truck anyway, and Patches has ridden in it twice so far. he loves going on rides anyway, but a few days after we had gotten it, my SO came back from getting firewood, and Patches went outside and hopped in the truck and just sat in it for the longest time, even after we were done unloading the wood. he is so funny sometimes.

cosmocat308
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 12:42 AM

just make sure the state you are going too does not have a ban on pits

cosmocat
katvixenstar
by Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 10:52 AM

he is riding in the cab. if we were going to put him in the bed, we would get a crate or something like that for him. he is my SO's baby and he wouldn't let anything happen to him! :)

Quoting cdogdevon:

Is he riding in the cab or the back of the truck? I am just asking because I have seen so many dogs get seriuosly injured from riding in the back of trucks. I used to work at an animal rescue and one of the worst was a guy who said his pitbull LOVED riding in the back and he said he even tied him in for his safety then one day he jumped out because he got excited and got drug for quite a while. His paws were raw it was awful. Anyway I just hope it doesn't ride in the back :-).

Quoting katvixenstar:

~ Cassandra ~

katvixenstar
by Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 11:03 AM

yup, that was the first thing i checked into. a few cities have a ban on them, but not the one his mom lives in.

Quoting cosmocat308:

just make sure the state you are going too does not have a ban on pits

~ Cassandra ~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)