Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pitbull rescued.

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:48 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 178 Total Views

i heard and saw the most horrific animal cruelty i could ever have imaged. altho to some it might not sound as cruel as it seems but to me it was AWFUL.

i was sittin at my computer today and heard a dog yelp, me bein a animal rescuer my instinct is to run see whats wrong. well there was this beautiful pitbull outside and a jeep speeding away. the poor baby was limpin while trying to catch this jeep. well i run in the house grabbed the leash and took off. i was determined to save this dog. i got him here. looked him over, feed him watered him and allowed him to interact with my other 2 pits. he does good with my other 2 pits as long as theres no food around. so my boyfriend and i have decided to keep this pit. we have named him diablo. i found a vet that has offered to run test, bathe, give him his shots, microchip him and xray him all for free. when i ask why she said i was kind enough to take him in and she wants to help me by doin a complete check up and update on this cute lil guy. we have determined hes about 15 months old. ill get pics of him this weekend.

question...how can i break the food aggression?

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
StaceyB1030
by New Member on Jul. 30, 2009 at 9:32 AM

As a pit mom and rescuer there is no luck with food aggression. Same goes for animal aggression which my dog has. That is somthing that needs to be taught early and if you would try it now I would recommend a trainer.

Sounds to me that the jeep dropped the dog off. Good job taking the dog in!

Dare2Bme71
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Food aggression around other dogs, is very very hard to break and it's easier to feed seperate.

Food aggression towards people is a little easier but not always fixiable.

Steps to train against food aggression towards humans.

Feed by hand a few pieces at a time. Have him set at your feet with his bowl and drop a few pieces at a time,in the bowl praising him, if he growls no food, when he sits and makes eye contact with you give him a few more, this is a long process and takes patients tons of it, do not try to rush.

Next, put more than a few pieces and gage his reactions, continue doing this until you can sit beside him and get no growling behavior at all.

Then move on to toucing him  while he is eating.

He will learn that all food comes from you and that you own the food, the food bowl etc..

Try a professional with the dog/dog food aggression, it's very very hard and it's something that can not ever be fully trusted when you think it's safe and everythings going great one day he will attack the other dog, so like I said best to feed seperated.

GIN

Photobucket
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)