Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do any of your children do chores?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:25 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 496 Total Views

Do you have your children do chores?  I do I think all of children should learn to pick up after themselves and my older one has her own chores she does every week.  I can get her to help around the house but only if I am doing the work as well, which is good.  Sh never rememebers to do any of her chores and we have tried everthing.

I mean everything, we have made a chore schedule and if they got their chore done they got a quarter or fifty cents, this was right after I had our youngest and couldnt do a whole lot.  Well that didnt pan out for long and it got dumped.  We tried a sticker chart and if they completed their work they got a sticker, if they had a sticker on everyday then they could pick a place to have a family dinner, well that didnt pan out either.

If there are any suggestions please let me know.  I feel like a failure cause I cannot get my children to learn some responsibility.  Do not get me wrong I do not force issues with them they just seem to not want to do anything around the house, even their own rooms.  It is a chore in itself to get them to clean their own rooms.

by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cmbsjb
by Group Owner on Jul. 31, 2007 at 4:08 PM
I have tried those things that you have also tried and it just seems to fizzle out after a while.  At this time, my 11 year old does not have any specific chores to do.  He helps out when needed (i.e. clean house) and he cleans his room fairly often, but that's about it.  I guess I have just let it slide.  I am not too proud about that, but have not done much to change things.  I don't have any real ideas.  I like visual schedules....if you would be interested in taking pictures of the chores that need to be done and use them in a chart form.....with velcro on back of picture as well as on the chart....so that they can be shifted to the "done" side after completing it.  Or maybe the kids could come up with their own reward(s) (with your approval, of course) and write them down on paper and put in a jar or box and let them choose from it at the end of the week.  Its just a thought.   I know this isn't very helpful, but I am afraid I haven't done so great myself in this area.  Have you tried to find other ideas online?
eyes2blue68
by Member on Aug. 1, 2007 at 3:06 AM
My son is 7 and I can't get him to clean up his room.  He has ADHD and when the meds wear off, so does that attention span and focus.  I try the "mommy's helper" approach but so far no success.  I don't really want to punish him for not picking up after himself but it's an issue for stepdaddy.  He is slowly learning where to put the dirty laundry, to throw away candy and juice wrappers, etc. in his own trash can without having to be reminded.  I just go ape if he gets crumbs on the floor so I guess the goldfish will have to be snacked on elsewhere.  I could vacuum his room daily!

During school when he has a great day we go to Wendy's so I have to do something extra as an incentive to get his chores done to build good habits.  He loves games and they have an Incredible Pizza place here that makes Chuck E. Cheese look very very bad.  I'm thinking of putting marbles or something in a jar each time he does a task without being reminded then when he gets a certain amount we go to the pizza place and play games.  He loves the bumper cars, go carts, etc.  I think once Philip has a routine down, the rewards will die down a bit because it's habit and I'll find other special things to do for him that are age appropriate. 

Maybe I'm weird but we rarely have company.  I'm a packrat myself so I always need advance notice to declutter or I am stressed to the max.  I'm sanitary just not organized.
eeyore92704
by Member on Aug. 1, 2007 at 3:16 AM
My 9 yr old was just diagnosed with ADHD and is on his third med.  The first one worked very well, Stratera, but the insurance would not cover most of it and it cost us almost $70 a month.  The second one he was put on made no differemce in his attention.  Now the third one, Aderal, seems to be working very well and does ont cost as much but is still $30 a month.  His span is pretty good now, unlike before he could not do anything without being told many many times.

Today was a good day for chores, I had my older two clean up the basement and white room.  They did an excellent job and I am very proud of them for doing it and I only had to tell them once to clean it up.  I, being a mother, did check on their work and found only one spot that needed some extra attention but it got done.
cookofdeath
by on Aug. 3, 2007 at 12:47 AM
honestly, no. all i asked was that they put their dishes in the sink and wash their own laundry and keep their own rooms clean. but i am home full time so it's not a problem, if i worked things would be different.
cmbsjb
by Group Owner on Aug. 3, 2007 at 9:34 AM
The marble idea sounds like a good one.  It is something he can do very easily, it is visual, and it shows how many chores he has accomplished.  Sounds like when he gets into a routine that things will go fine.  Good Luck.
cookofdeath
by on Aug. 4, 2007 at 12:05 PM
i tried that with the marbles and with the dimes, mine stole the dimes and padded the marble jar, so it didn't work here, lol.
cmbsjb
by Group Owner on Aug. 5, 2007 at 10:47 AM
Padded the marble jar, LOL.   Stole the dimes, LOL

Too funny.  Well, what didn't work for you might work for someone else.  You just never know.  :)
cookofdeath
by on Aug. 5, 2007 at 5:47 PM
i think if you have normal kids , it's a great system. mine are just sneaky like that, lol.
marlarrie
by on Aug. 8, 2007 at 10:53 PM
The girls have to wash dishes and clean their rooms.
Lovin_mykids
by on Aug. 8, 2007 at 11:34 PM
my girls are 6 and 7 and they help with unloading the dish washer. loading the washer ( front load of corse) takeing clothes from the washer and placeing them in the dryer. and they fold there own clothes with help.... plus pickup there toys.. they are the ones playing with them they should pick them up and my 3 year old likes to help me dust and sweep. although he doesn't do a very good job of it... he is learning.... my girls cann't wait till they are old enough to help cook or actually wash the dishes.. hummm
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)